Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Goligoski has trade value. He's worth at least a 2nd round pick right now. He's probably worth more than that. I have absolutely no doubt about that.
You could be right but you can't send him anywhere, he has to agree. I just don't see a desirable team giving up assets for an under-achieving overpaid D in a Cap world.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Here are the top UFA LD available this summer:

Bouwmeester
Chara
Edler
Gardiner

That's pretty much it. The top 2 could very well retire. Gardiner is the best of the bunch right now and will command at least 6 mil. The list gets a little dicey after that. Guys like Jordie Benn, Oesterle, Coburn, Del Zotto, etc.

Enter Goligoski. He misses literally no time and he's a safe bet for 35 points a year. Getting older but his game is built on his skating so I don't see much decline there. That's a decent second pairing guy. So if you're a team in UFA who needs a vet LD, do you blow your brains out on a guy like Gardiner or overpay for someone like Oesterle, or simply offer up, probably a 2nd rounder, for Goligoski?

I actually don't even mind Goligoski. He just doesn't have a role here anymore with the emergence of Chychrun. I also liken his situation to Smith's. It's just not in a budget team's best interest to have 3 LDs making big money, especially when we have guys like KConn or Capobianco who can hold down that bottom spot now for cheap. Then take what we would be paying Goligoski and use it to upgrade where we need it.

As far as Goligoski's list, he can block 8 teams. That still leaves 22 others. Lots of options I think. Capable Top 4 D are always in demand.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Here are the top UFA LD available this summer:

Bouwmeester
Chara
Edler
Gardiner

That's pretty much it. The top 2 could very well retire. Gardiner is the best of the bunch right now and will command at least 6 mil. The list gets a little dicey after that. Guys like Jordie Benn, Oesterle, Coburn, Del Zotto, etc.

Enter Goligoski. He misses literally no time and he's a safe bet for 35 points a year. Getting older but his game is built on his skating so I don't see much decline there. That's a decent second pairing guy. So if you're a team in UFA who needs a vet LD, do you blow your brains out on a guy like Gardiner or overpay for someone like Oesterle, or simply offer up, probably a 2nd rounder, for Goligoski?

I actually don't even mind Goligoski. He just doesn't have a role here anymore with the emergence of Chychrun. I also liken his situation to Smith's. It's just not in a budget team's best interest to have 3 LDs making big money, especially when we have guys like KConn or Capobianco who can hold down that bottom spot now for cheap. Then take what we would be paying Goligoski and use it to upgrade where we need it.

As far as Goligoski's list, he can block 8 teams. That still leaves 22 others. Lots of options I think. Capable Top 4 D are always in demand.
But who is really looking for 2nd pairing at best LD? And realistically his team could use the blocking of 8 to turn it easily into 3/4 of the teams in the League.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You’re completely wrong. I don’t know how else to say it. The only one that’s debatable is number four.

Hayton was a top five pick and has had a solid follow up season. The Coyotes are currently the owners of the 11th worst record, despite being decimated by injuries and despite not having Matthews. How many top five picks do you see a healthy Coyotes team featuring Auston Matthews having in the near future?

Toronto was rumored to be very high on POJ and his development has been inarguably encouraging and he's going to turn pro next season. A 2022 pick will be in the same position in 2025 if all goes well.

Think about what six years is in pro sports. Six years ago we were the Phoenix Coyotes and the season was just starting on account of the lockout. The Coyotes has not even disappointed us year as they were fresh off their cindarella run.

Like many teams in that six years, we’ve already cycled through our whole roster, coaching staff, management team and ownership.

A draft pick in 2022 or 2023 is utterly meaningless to a GM. Most of them won’t be working for the teams they work for now in six or seven years when those picks are ready.
I think the difference is that the 4 firsts might be a stud center or a stud D while it's less likely any of the players mentioned will be. And Matthews will not be gotten by offer sheet or that trade offer.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
But who is really looking for 2nd pairing at best LD? And realistically his team could use the blocking of 8 to turn it easily into 3/4 of the teams in the League.

Chayka managed to extract value from Jamie Mcginn. If Goligoski hits the block I'm not too worried about finding a landing spot.
We gave up nothing for him so if we sell low it's not the worst thing in the world.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think the difference is that the 4 firsts might be a stud center or a stud D while it's less likely any of the players mentioned will be. And Matthews will not be gotten by offer sheet or that trade offer.
Your first sentence makes no sense to me at all. You’re right on the money with that second sentence. The package I posted is 100% without a doubt more attractive than the offersheet compensation. It’s not close. It’s also not nearly enough for Matthews.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Your first sentence makes no sense to me at all. You’re right on the money with that second sentence. The package I posted is 100% without a doubt more attractive than the offersheet compensation. It’s not close. It’s also not nearly enough for Matthews.
There is a possibility that an unknown draft number could yield a great player and it's now fairly certainly the players you mentioned are more likely to be good players rather than great. That package would interest me less than an offer sheet package.

rt

May 13, 2004
There is a possibility that an unknown draft number could yield a great player and it's now fairly certainly the players you mentioned are more likely to be good players rather than great. That package would interest me less than an offer sheet package.
You aren’t dealing in reality, man. 2023 is forever away. When that puck hits the NHL in 2025 or 2026, I can promise that the entire Coyotes and Leafs front offices will have been cleaned out and replaced. It might as well be 200 years from now.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
That is true but adding AM to our current squad moves the needle enough that we are a playoff team going forward. That decreases the chance of landing that high impact player. They are there for sure in most drafts, but the likelyhood of the leafs selecting that player are slim. Even if we did end up with a lottery pick in there, the likelyhood of it being in the top 5 is super slim.

That said, I imagine that plays into the leafs valuation of the return and would therefor match. RT's package is better, but I think everyone agrees that it would not be enough. At the end of it all, we aren't getting AM without him being a UFA and us being a playoff team that he'd be attracted to.

Let AM sign his 5 year deal with TML, once he's a UFA we can make a move if needed.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Bottom half of the 1st round draft picks are lottery tickets, even the teams with histories of great drafting whiff on at least half of those picks. You always take the sure thing in Matthews as a generational talent over the chance of maybe possibly finding a couple NHL players in those 4 picks. That being said, nothing short of the planets aligning and/or Kyle Dubas showing up to work drunk everyday for the next 6 months is going to get us Matthews next year.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Completely random but I will ask it here, at their best, which Yotes dman was better? OEL or Yandle?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Completely random but I will ask it here, at their best, which Yotes dman was better? OEL or Yandle?
I'm a huge Yandle fan but OEL at his best is a top 10 dman, Yandle is not. Unfortunately it usually takes 3 months into the season before we get to see OEL at his best. I think Yandle has high highs and low lows where as OEL is usually average or better. Here's how I would rate them on offense, defense, physicality, health and intangibles.

OEL
Offense: 4
Defense: 4
Physicality: 3
Health: 3
Intangibles: 3

Yandle
Offense: 5
Defense: 2
Physicality: 1
Health: 5
Intangibles: 5

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I'm a huge Yandle fan but OEL at his best is a top 10 dman, Yandle is not. Unfortunately it usually takes 3 months into the season before we get to see OEL at his best. I think Yandle has high highs and low lows where as OEL is usually average or better. Here's how I would rate them on offense, defense, physicality, health and intangibles.

OEL

Yandle

By definition an intangible is an abstract quality or attribute. Why does Yandle get the intangible nod?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Of all defensemen since 2006 Yandle is tied for second fewest hits per game. Hits =/= physicality necessarily but it's about as good as you can measure it I'd guess.

I figured it would be low but that's pretty insane for someone who plays as many minutes as he does.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Of all defensemen since 2006 Yandle is tied for second fewest hits per game. Hits =/= physicality necessarily but it's about as good as you can measure it I'd guess.

I figured it would be low but that's pretty insane for someone who plays as many minutes as he does.

That's how you play every game in 10 out of the last 13 seasons

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
By definition an intangible is an abstract quality or attribute. Why does Yandle get the intangible nod?
MIG
Pedantic: 5

Yandle has a certain "it" factor that is undeniable, I was just trying to capture that. I guess I could call it leadership, locker room presence, charisma or all of the above but I just settled on intangible. All I know is Yandle is the type of player who makes sure the team absolutely will not lose on bobblehead night!

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
MIG
Pedantic: 5

Yandle has a certain "it" factor that is undeniable, I was just trying to capture that. I guess I could call it leadership, locker room presence, charisma or all of the above but I just settled on intangible. All I know is Yandle is the type of player who makes sure the team absolutely will not lose on bobblehead night!

I agree. OEL doesn't strike me as a natural leader. He would not get my vote for captain.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I agree. OEL doesn't strike me as a natural leader. He would not get my vote for captain.
If Yandle was still a Yote he'd certainly get my vote for the C but I do think OEL is the best choice for the current team. Yandle was special, it's not really fair to compare OEL to him in that regard. Kind of like it's not fair to compare Yandle to OEL when it comes to defense. haha

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
If Yandle was still a Yote he'd certainly get my vote for the C but I do think OEL is the best choice for the current team. Yandle was special, it's not really fair to compare OEL to him in that regard. Kind of like it's not fair to compare Yandle to OEL when it comes to defense. haha

I thought Domi would be the next "C"

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017

Reminds me of Doan's story of when he got cheap shotted by James wisniewski and he looked up and he was surprised cause Yandle was the one who jumped in and fought. I think he said he was appreciative of that.

Story was on spittin Chiclets I believe!

Reactions: MIG

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

OEL

Yandle

OEL's point totals aren't far off from Yandle's and has exceeded him some seasons. OEL almost always has twice as many goals as Yandle. I think they are pretty equal on offense, and despite point totals I think you could give a nod towards OLE because of goal totals.

What I would give to get the 2014-2016, 20+ goal scorer OEL again...

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL's point totals aren't far off from Yandle's and has exceeded him some seasons. OEL almost always has twice as many goals as Yandle. I think they are pretty equal on offense, and despite point totals I think you could give a nod towards OLE because of goal totals.

What I would give to get the 2014-2016, 20+ goal scorer OEL again...
Remember how much passion that 20g OEL player with? Damn. Kid has been so...muted...the last few years. Will he get his fire back when the team is better? Or has he settled into his comfy spot on this old couch?

Reactions: Lilhoody
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad