Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What about a deal that’s smaller in terms of Stars headed out, and closer to offersheet value, but maybe holds more appeal as assets are nearer term? Something like POJ, Hayton, this year’s 2nd, next year’s 1st and Goligoski? POJ has two bonus development years and Hayton has one. They won’t have to wait so long. That should easily hold better value than the 2021 and 2022 1st rounders. By a lot. Then I think Goligoski and a 2019 2nd is much better than a 2023 1st, right?

I don't think Toronto trades Matthews. I think the only way he is obtainable is through offer sheet, where their hand is forced.

Reactions: RemoAZ

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Keller-Matthews-Schmaltz
Galchenyuk-Dvorak-Stroza
Crouse-Fat Stepan-Fischer
Grabner-Richardson-Garland
Cousins

OEL-Demers
Chych-Hjammer
Bottom-Pairing
Extra

Glass Raanta

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't think Toronto trades Matthews. I think the only way he is obtainable is through offer sheet, where their hand is forced.
If there’s an agreement in principal on an offersheet and we offer better value via trade to ensure they don’t match, it might make sense.

rt

May 13, 2004
I think you are gonna see Matthews signed by the end of Feb. Getting him via offer sheet is a pipe dream. Point is an attainable target even if you overpay there will be money left to improve roster. In no universerse does Dubas consider OEL and Keller a legitimate offer to the Leafs for Matthews. OEL Isn't really an upgrade a 1LD for the Leaf's and the Leafs can't afford another high end winger Cap wise. Matthews Isn't getting traded unless a number 1 D and a lower end 1C is coming back IMO.
I agree. I don’t think Matthews remains unsigned much longer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
AM won't be traded in the foreseeable, if ever, and TO will match anything anyone throws at AM. He's probably top ten soon to be top five player in the entire NHL. Teams will move heaven and earth to keep such player. Not happening guys.

Reactions: rt

rt

May 13, 2004
I have a feeling we just sit on our hands and win the Hughes lottery and then just continue to sit on our hands. Hoping that adding Hughes and staying healthy is enough to take the next step.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you are gonna see Matthews signed by the end of Feb. Getting him via offer sheet is a pipe dream. Point is an attainable target even if you overpay there will be money left to improve roster. In no universerse does Dubas consider OEL and Keller a legitimate offer to the Leafs for Matthews. OEL Isn't really an upgrade a 1LD for the Leaf's and the Leafs can't afford another high end winger Cap wise. Matthews Isn't getting traded unless a number 1 D and a lower end 1C is coming back IMO.
Right about AM, wrong about Point. I know you think Point is attainable, I don't believe he is.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I have a feeling we just sit on our hands and win the Hughes lottery and then just continue to sit on our hands. Hoping that adding Hughes and staying healthy is enough to take the next step.
There will be changes next year for sure. You can expect 3 to 5 roster changes for next year. Chayka the gunslinger might make more.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Right about AM, wrong about Point. I know you think Point is attainable, I don't believe he is.
You might be right but Tampa is tight on Cap and I don't think Point is their 3 or 4 most important players. They might not actually be able to keep him if offer is too high. Matthews is number 1 for Leafs and they would sacrifice others with ease to keep him.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I meant foundational changes. Ancillary tweaks are ever present.

Chayka has already removed most of the last guy's stuff, so yeah I'm thinking we're not making any more big moves. Now we're getting a whole new set of sunk cost fallacies in the next 2-3 years :dunce:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What about a deal that’s smaller in terms of Stars headed out, and closer to offersheet value, but maybe holds more appeal as assets are nearer term? Something like POJ, Hayton, this year’s 2nd, next year’s 1st and Goligoski? POJ has two bonus development years and Hayton has one. They won’t have to wait so long. That should easily hold better value than the 2021 and 2022 1st rounders. By a lot. Then I think Goligoski and a 2019 2nd is much better than a 2023 1st, right?
Why would Toronto take anything less than the 4 firsts for Matthews. Those firsts are incredibly valuable. Toronto would be more likely to give up Matthews for the 4 picks than for POJ, Hayton and a 1st and a 2nd.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why would Toronto take anything less than the 4 firsts for Matthews. Those firsts are incredibly valuable. Toronto would be more likely to give up Matthews for the 4 picks than for POJ, Hayton and a 1st and a 2nd.
An offer sheet this year equals a 1st in each of 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

The offer you cited above equates for me as follows:

1. 2020 1st = 2020 1st
2. Hayton > 2021 1st
3. POJ > 2022 1st
4. Goligoski+2019 2nd > 2023 1st

Which of those four assessments do you disagree with?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I miss Martinook.

Good player, but our PK is better even despite not having him and his replacement Hinostroza adds some needed depth scoring.
We kinda upgraded on him by committee.

Martinook is one of our more successful 2nd round picks ever though which is pretty sad.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

1. 2020 1st = 2020 1st
2. Hayton > 2021 1st
3. POJ > 2022 1st

All of them. Given our team's evaluation of young talent, Toronto could do better with the future drafts than we did with prior drafts.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

1. 2020 1st = 2020 1st
2. Hayton > 2021 1st
3. POJ > 2022 1st

Too many unknowns for that statement.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

1. 2020 1st = 2020 1st
2. Hayton > 2021 1st
3. POJ > 2022 1st

I'd be more open to sending the 4 1sts and recoup them from other teams where the chance of a lottery pick is increased. I'd imagine Toronto feels the same. I'd also keep in mind that AM will make more money in Toronto than he will here beyond his NHL paycheck. If we had to resign him, it would likely come a few million higher unless he was determined to make hockey work in Arizona and took a pay cut to do so.

Toronto has no reason to trade him and we aren't a #1 center away from being truly competitive. Nor do we have the budget to make such moves. If we could sell Goligoski, Demers, and Stepan while signing AM, Panarin, Lee, and a 2/3 RD then I think it would be worth, but we all know that's not possible.

We need to just draft and make smart signing/trades while we build the pool so we can make the playoffs consistently and begin to actually afford to pay good players.

rt

May 13, 2004
All of them. Given our team's evaluation of young talent, Toronto could do better with the future drafts than we did with prior drafts.
You’re completely wrong. I don’t know how else to say it. The only one that’s debatable is number four.

Hayton was a top five pick and has had a solid follow up season. The Coyotes are currently the owners of the 11th worst record, despite being decimated by injuries and despite not having Matthews. How many top five picks do you see a healthy Coyotes team featuring Auston Matthews having in the near future?

Toronto was rumored to be very high on POJ and his development has been inarguably encouraging and he's going to turn pro next season. A 2022 pick will be in the same position in 2025 if all goes well.

Think about what six years is in pro sports. Six years ago we were the Phoenix Coyotes and the season was just starting on account of the lockout. The Coyotes has not even disappointed us year as they were fresh off their cindarella run.

Like many teams in that six years, we’ve already cycled through our whole roster, coaching staff, management team and ownership.

A draft pick in 2022 or 2023 is utterly meaningless to a GM. Most of them won’t be working for the teams they work for now in six or seven years when those picks are ready.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
POJ is going to turn pro next season.

I always forget about this for some reason. It lines up perfectly too, with him being an LD. He goes to Tucson. Capo goes to Glendale. It's so obvious that Goligoski is getting traded this summer, even more so with his NMC expiring.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I always forget about this for some reason. It lines up perfectly too, with him being an LD. He goes to Tucson. Capo goes to Glendale. It's so obvious that Goligoski is getting traded this summer, even more so with his NMC expiring.
Who do you envision is on Goligoski's 20 something team list that is willing to take a 2nd or 3rd pairing D with a Cap hit of $5.5 million? What are planning to include with him to entice? We are better off just keeping him rather than giving up assets, it's not like we need the Cap space.

rt

May 13, 2004
Who do you envision is on Goligoski's 20 something team list that is willing to take a 2nd or 3rd pairing D with a Cap hit of $5.5 million? What are planning to include with him to entice? We are better off just keeping him rather than giving up assets, it's not like we need the Cap space.
Goligoski has trade value. He's worth at least a 2nd round pick right now. He's probably worth more than that. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad