Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also, as far as Around the NHL, McKenzie says Matthews could be looking at as much as 13.5 mil on a max deal. Closer to 11 on a 5 yr term.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If Matthews is asking for 14m that has to put a significant cap crunch on the leafs. Even 11m is pretty high.

I normally don't put much stock in any sort of offer sheet offers, but only Gardiner is coming off the books, and they have to sign Kapanen, Johnsson, Marner, and Matthews, Dermott, and potentially Sparks.

If they don't have Sparks coming back and don't qualify the majority of their RFA's not named above, they have about 6m extra coming in, which puts them at about 17m in space if my math is correct.

Kapanen and Johnsson get at least 3m bridge deals right?

Dermott probably gets about that much too.

Marner gets at least 6m unless he takes a significant paycut, right?

That leaves about 1m which...isn't much.

Hainsey, Kadri, Marleau, Andersen, and Tavares have NTC/NMC.

There's no way they sign Nylander and then trade him less than a year later, right?

If they trade Marleau they get another 6m to play with, but if Matthews is really asking for that much that leaves another 4m still needed. Even if he doesn't get that kind of money that's still not enough for the 8-10 that is reasonable.

While I don't think we really can offersheet him, could we offersheet Kapanen at 6m? That probably doesn't put a huge wrench in their plans, but clearly someone is going to have to go. Dermott, Johnsson, and Kapanen are all good players. If we take back Marleau can we get one of them included, preferably Kapanen, and send back someone cheap thus freeing up an extra 9m+ for them? Maybe Fischer?

Marleau seems like he wants a cup, not to retire. Does he even waive for ARI?

There simply has to be a trade of someone at some point for them to be able to fit under the cap. I was pretty conservative in my expectations of deals, and it could look different. Johnsson might only get 1m, Dermott might take a bridge for 2. On the market I think Kapanen gets 6m and Dermott probably 3-4.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
If Matthews is asking for 14m that has to put a significant cap crunch on the leafs. Even 11m is pretty high.

I normally don't put much stock in any sort of offer sheet offers, but only Gardiner is coming off the books, and they have to sign Kapanen, Johnsson, Marner, and Matthews, Dermott, and potentially Sparks.

If they don't have Sparks coming back and don't qualify the majority of their RFA's not named above, they have about 6m extra coming in, which puts them at about 17m in space if my math is correct.

There's no way they sign Nylander and then trade him less than a year later, right?

If they trade Marleau they get another 6m to play with, but if Matthews is really asking for that much that leaves another 4m still needed. Even if he doesn't get that kind of money that's still not enough for the 8-10 that is reasonable.

While I don't think we really can offersheet him, could we offersheet Kapanen at 6m? That probably doesn't put a huge wrench in their plans, but clearly someone is going to have to go. Dermott, Johnsson, and Kapanen are all good players. If we take back Marleau can we get one of them included, preferably Kapanen, and send back someone cheap thus freeing up an extra 9m+ for them? Maybe Fischer?

There simply has to be a trade of someone at some point for them to be able to fit under the cap. I was pretty conservative in my expectations of deals, and it could look different. Johnsson might only get 1m, Dermott might take a bridge for 2. On the market I think Kapanen gets 6m and Dermott probably 3-4.
I say we offer sheet AM and place the leafs in cap hell if they want to match.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I say we offer sheet AM and place the leafs in cap hell if they want to match.

Even if it's not us. I'd love to see SOMEONE do it. Hell, do it to both Matthews and Marner.

If one of our division rivals were in a similar spot, if I were Chayka I'd offer sheet the crap out of teams.

Reactions: doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Hainsey is done this year, Matthews Isn't getting $14 million, Marner is getting probably 1.5 times $6 million, Dermott is already signed for next season, and the Leafs have about $28 million in Cap space when you include Horton's money. Johnsson isn't getting $3 million in Toronto. Your post has so much wrong it's hard to out the correction together. Offer sheet Kapanen at $6 million?? Yeah have at it Keller's agent would be very happy.

Reactions: 7even and Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think there's definitely an offer sheet coming to at least one of Toronto's guys, whether it's from us, or a team like the Rangers.

Btw I have Marner coming in at least 10 mil. Nylander's agent was child's play compared to what's coming with Marner (who also just missed out on a big bonus by not making the all-star game).

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think there's definitely an offer sheet coming to at least one of Toronto's guys, whether it's from us, or a team like the Rangers.

Btw I have Marner coming in at least 10 mil. Nylander's agent was child's play compared to what's coming with Marner (who also just missed out on a big bonus by not making the all-star game).
I'm thinking $9 For Marner but I could be wrong? Matthews will apparently be signed soon and of the two I think local boy Marner is least likely to sign an offer sheet unless the money from Leafs or offer sheet is just ridiculous. Matthews is making bank away from rink and not many places can offer that.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Hainsey is done this year, Matthews Isn't getting $14 million, Marner is getting probably 1.5 times $6 million, Dermott is already signed for next season, and the Leafs have about $28 million in Cap space when you include Horton's money. Johnsson isn't getting $3 million in Toronto. Your post has so much wrong it's hard to out the correction together. Offer sheet Kapanen at $6 million?? Yeah have at it Keller's agent would be very happy.

You're right, Hainsey is done this year, so another 3m to 20, sorry.

Horton is already included in the cap, so we don't need to talk about him.

Dermott is signed next year yeah, but he still needs to sign a deal, though I suppose Muzzin and Marleau could come off completely at that point.

Why wouldn't Johnsson get 3m? He's a promising young forward that has put up points. Panik got 2.8 and is older. Vinnie got 1.5 and is also older. If you want him long term you're gonna pay.

I'd be perfectly happy paying Keller 6m considering what Nylander got and what Marner is likely to get. Paying 6 for Kapanen is obviously a lot but he'd have more of a role here and could easily be worth that money.

At this point it's all "what if's" and we have no idea if Bob Mckenzie is right and Matthews will get that much, or how much Marner will get. I'd like to take advantage of the leafs to improve the team like anyone would if the possibility is there. I know you're a Leafs fan though, so I can understand not wanting to see that happen. No need to be hostile though.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’d say Yandle is just as physical as Oliver.

Whoa, not me. OEL is a sneaky cheap-shotter, IMO. I never saw that out of Yandle. Keith seemed to prefer to speak with his stick, so to speak - OEL will take the body on occasion, but generally not when the focus of play is on him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How are we defining physicality? Does toughness count? Yandle got in a few fights here if memory serves. OEL hasn't.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
How are we defining physicality? Does toughness count? Yandle got in a few fights here if memory serves. OEL hasn't.

I dunno - I think of "physicality" and I think overall level of play, not whether they have fought or not. Yandle doesn't body check much, while OEL does. Yes, Yandle is quicker to drop the mitts than Oliver... in fact, OEL's fighting likelihood is about zero :D. But OEL definitely throws elbows, hits guys, and slashes a lot more than Keith does... but like I said, he does it sneaky-like.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Jamie McGinn is on waivers if we want him back... :sarcasm:

Also, Antoine Vermette officially retired today.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You're right, Hainsey is done this year, so another 3m to 20, sorry.

Horton is already included in the cap, so we don't need to talk about him.

Dermott is signed next year yeah, but he still needs to sign a deal, though I suppose Muzzin and Marleau could come off completely at that point.

Why wouldn't Johnsson get 3m? He's a promising young forward that has put up points. Panik got 2.8 and is older. Vinnie got 1.5 and is also older. If you want him long term you're gonna pay.

I'd be perfectly happy paying Keller 6m considering what Nylander got and what Marner is likely to get. Paying 6 for Kapanen is obviously a lot but he'd have more of a role here and could easily be worth that money.

At this point it's all "what if's" and we have no idea if Bob Mckenzie is right and Matthews will get that much, or how much Marner will get. I'd like to take advantage of the leafs to improve the team like anyone would if the possibility is there. I know you're a Leafs fan though, so I can understand not wanting to see that happen. No need to be hostile though.
I said Johnsson Isn't getting $3 million from the Leaf's, they can't pay a 4th liner that money. The Leafs currently have roughly $60 million in salary for next season and that includes Horton. I don't intend to hostile but man if you write a post with 5 plus inaccuracies what kind of reply do you expect? I'm fairly confident Marner is getting significantly more than Nylander while you suggested less? Kapanen at anywhere near $6 million is a significant overpayment for a fast skating average player. If the Coyotes gave him $6 million I woukd rightfully expect Keller to be asking for 8 plus.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You have to think that this roster (when healthy) is at worst a lock for the playoffs with Matthews on it. 4 mid to late first rounders is a pretty good deal to get the top end player that this roster is lacking IMO.
I would make the appropriate offer for Mathews. He wants to play here for sure. He might sign it and TML is likely to match but you never know. It won’t hurt us if you are ok with 4 1st round picks. No harm in trying for us.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I want us to offer sheet Matthews not just because I want him here. I want them to make that offer sheet the exact number of years to his FA so that if we don't get him with the offer sheet, we have another shot at the next earliest opportunity. Maybe by that time we have an owner that can buy the team with more than just a loan. Having an owner that can't really afford the team is one thing. Having him drowning in debt service as well really gives him no shot at icing a consistent contender. That's why the current and former owners need a subsidy. They can run the team if we pay the bank note. Corporate welfare 101.

Reactions: Mosby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino