Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What did the Coyotes do to deserve such a long All Star break? Not sure this benefits us, unless OEL magically heals by Saturday.

I think each team has a "bye week" built into their schedules at one point or another in the season - ours just happened to have fallen now, which is probably the first good scheduling karma we've ever had.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
What did the Coyotes do to deserve such a long All Star break? Not sure this benefits us, unless OEL magically heals by Saturday.

Most teams have the week after the ASG as their bye week. The ones playing the next few days (WPG ,PHI, BOS, PIT, BUF, NJD, DAL, CBJ, TBL, NYR) were off last week. The rest had this week as their bye.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I'm fine with our bye week coming right now. I'm sure there are guys who are banged up that aren't listed on the injury report (like Hammer). Give them the long break. Hopefully OEL comes back soon, and we should be okay. The real push starts now.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Kings officially selling now, Muzzin to the Leafs. Reminds me a bit of the Yandle deal. Player with some term left for a first +.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Kings officially selling now, Muzzin to the Leafs. Reminds me a bit of the Yandle deal. Player with some term left for a first +.

And Toronto's cap for next season, which was already impossible, now has another 4mil piece in Muzzin. Give me Matthews or shake loose Kapanen.

Reactions: doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And Toronto's cap for next season, which was already impossible, now has another 4mil piece in Muzzin. Give me Matthews or shake loose Kapanen.
Lots of talk these days on shorter deal for Matthews(5 years) as a way to help Cap short term and for Matthews to get another larger long term payday down the road, whether with Leaf's or not. I think they are going to find Zaitsev a new home before next season with incentive to another team.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We are a bargain basement team. I'm surprised that the players don't have a Coke machine in their locker that takes credit cards. We don't have a permanent home. We're rumored to relocate to anywhere from Houston, Texas to Bucks - in-Rut, Nova Scotia.
And people are talking about acquiring Matthews. Not even a pipe dream.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We are a bargain basement team. I'm surprised that the players don't have a Coke machine in their locker that takes credit cards. We don't have a permanent home. We're rumored to relocate to anywhere from Houston, Texas to Bucks - in-Rut, Nova Scotia.
And people are talking about acquiring Matthews. Not even a pipe dream.
I don't believe the Yote's will ever move, but you are right, why would AM every want to come here, anywhere as far as that goes. He's living in the Penthouse right now. AM probably looks at the McDavid situation and would feel he would be in the same boat in Phoenix.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
...why would AM every want to come here

Maybe he would not, but the team is not necessarily destined to be perpetual bottom dwellers. This is why I think making the playoffs is more important than drafting high. Demonstrate the team can win, has a winning coach, winning attitude, etc., and more talented players will consider playing in AZ.

Also, it's not always the current product on the ice that motivates a player to want to move. In the seven seasons prior to #99 moving to LA, the Kings had only one season over .500.

Edit: Stable ownership too. Need to kill the incessant relocation rumors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilhoody

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t even know what we could trade for Matthews? OEL+Keller? Does that move the needle for Toronto? Then I guess we could pray Bowen Byram is around at our pick, and we’d have to go VERY hard at whoever the top UFA D is. Basically throw all the money at Myers or Gardiner.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I don’t even know what we could trade for Matthews? OEL+Keller? Does that move the needle for Toronto? Then I guess we could pray Bowen Byram is around at our pick, and we’d have to go VERY hard at whoever the top UFA D is. Basically throw all the money at Myers or Gardiner.

Four 1st round picks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Leafs don't have an option. Either match 16 mil for Matthews or take the picks.

I think we can swing it. We'd have to have some really cheap depth, and moving guys like Goligoski in other deals without taking money back, but I don't think it's impossible. Obviously it becomes a little easier if a wealthier new owner replaces Barroway.

In all honesty I might offer sheet Marner first just to f*** up Toronto's cap a little more first. A high number but not ugly enough that'd they'd still match. Like 10.5. Then hit Matthews.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
But what can the Leafs do about it? It's not like they can hit Keller with an offer sheet down the road because they don't have the cap space to do it.

There's more than Matthews though. For instance, tell Tampa we're gonna sign Point for 12 mil, unless they trade us Johnson for pennies on the dollar.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't believe the Yote's will ever move, but you are right, why would AM every want to come here, anywhere as far as that goes. He's living in the Penthouse right now. AM probably looks at the McDavid situation and would feel he would be in the same boat in Phoenix.

Pretty certain that Mama Matthews' homemade chicken tortilla soup would be much easier to transfer here...

rt

May 13, 2004
@Mosby - I feel like the Leafs would match on Marner, then match of Matthews and then just trade Nylander for futures. As soon as Keller is RFA, they get him to sign an offer sheet they know we’ll match, but that we will be devastated by.

I think maybe a trade might be better. Maybe Keller+OEL for Matthews and Gardiner’s UFA rights? Do it at the draft, before OEL’s clause kicks in. It allows Toronto to push off the RFA crisis another year, and hopefully win the cup in that interim period. Allows us to do everything we can to sign Gardiner and draft a top young forward with our top ten pick, to hopefully offset some of what we lose in the deal.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I dunno. 16 mil is a ton of money. If Toronto matches that do they then have to give Marner like 13 (if he's still unsigned at the time)? Toronto's cap is impossible and it became an even bigger challenge with the addition of Muzzin's money. Not to mention this is just to keep the current group together, with no additions to an average D. Gardiner is gone in UFA for sure too.

rt

May 13, 2004
I dunno. 16 mil is a ton of money. If Toronto matches that do they then have to give Marner like 13 (if he's still unsigned at the time)? Toronto's cap is impossible and it became an even bigger challenge with the addition of Muzzin's money. Not to mention this is just to keep the current group together, with no additions to an average D. Gardiner is gone in UFA for sure too.
What about a deal that’s smaller in terms of Stars headed out, and closer to offersheet value, but maybe holds more appeal as assets are nearer term? Something like POJ, Hayton, this year’s 2nd, next year’s 1st and Goligoski? POJ has two bonus development years and Hayton has one. They won’t have to wait so long. That should easily hold better value than the 2021 and 2022 1st rounders. By a lot. Then I think Goligoski and a 2019 2nd is much better than a 2023 1st, right?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think you are gonna see Matthews signed by the end of Feb. Getting him via offer sheet is a pipe dream. Point is an attainable target even if you overpay there will be money left to improve roster. In no universerse does Dubas consider OEL and Keller a legitimate offer to the Leafs for Matthews. OEL Isn't really an upgrade a 1LD for the Leaf's and the Leafs can't afford another high end winger Cap wise. Matthews Isn't getting traded unless a number 1 D and a lower end 1C is coming back IMO.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad