Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
How are we defining physicality? Does toughness count? Yandle got in a few fights here if memory serves. OEL hasn't.
OEL hits far more often and OEL has dished some big hits in his time here. OEL is a sneaky pain in the ass.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Yandle way more than I like OEL, but OEL is unquestionably better, especially when the question was peak to peak. I'd give Yandle the nod on the transition game and being "fiery", but OEL beats him in physicality, shot, and defensive reads pretty easily. He's just a much more reliable defenseman. On the flip side, even when Yandle is bad, I've never questioned his motor.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I like Yandle way more than I like OEL, but OEL is unquestionably better, especially when the question was peak to peak. I'd give Yandle the nod on the transition game and being "fiery", but OEL beats him in physicality, shot, and defensive reads pretty easily. He's just a much more reliable defenseman. On the flip side, even when Yandle is bad, I've never questioned his motor.

Yandle was my #4.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would make the appropriate offer for Mathews. He wants to play here for sure. He might sign it and TML is likely to match but you never know. It won’t hurt us if you are ok with 4 1st round picks. No harm in trying for us.
I don't think AM wants any thing to do with the Coyotes right now. He is at the pinnacle of the hockey universe in TO.. He loves the attention, pressure does not bother him, and he will be making bank with his contract and endorsements. He will own the city. He could end up being the best Leaf player of all time. Even after hockey, he will be set for life with endorsements. TGO still has endorsements in Canada. There is no use for any team to offer sheet AM because TO will match any offer and trade who they must to keep AM.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think AM wants any thing to do with the Coyotes right now. He is at the pinnacle of the hockey universe in TO.. He loves the attention, pressure does not bother him, and he will be making bank with his contract and endorsements. He will own the city. He could end up being the best Leaf player of all time. Even after hockey, he will be set for life with endorsements. TGO still has endorsements in Canada. There is no use for any team to offer sheet AM because TO will match any offer and trade who they must to keep AM.
Jakey, he wants to play in AZ and he wants out of Toronto. If the Coyotes want a 1C that wants to be here, they could offer him $12-14 mill a year for 6 years. Granted we need new owners that could afford it but we might solve our 1C issue finally. If TML matches, they are screwed cap wise. They might take the picks. Trust me, Mathews would sign it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
MIG
Pedantic: 5

Yandle has a certain "it" factor that is undeniable, I was just trying to capture that. I guess I could call it leadership, locker room presence, charisma or all of the above but I just settled on intangible. All I know is Yandle is the type of player who makes sure the team absolutely will not lose on bobblehead night!

But that's also the same type of player that takes an overhead slash to someone's hands on an empty-net goal, trips a guy on Detroit after he scores an EN goal, or throws his stick out at someone in the fastest skater competition at the All-Star skills competition. I am not saying that you have to be a gracious loser, but that's the type of stuff that made me not appreciate what he was all about - great when things are good, but the test of character when things are not so good is questionable.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I really don't think endorsements are all that much in hockey.
You would be incorrect these days. But only in a few markets. Just listened to Dan Carcillo saying he was being paid a couple hundred grand a year as a Blackhawks Ambassador. Tavares, Marner, and Matthews have sponsors lining up.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jakey, he wants to play in AZ and he wants out of Toronto. If the Coyotes want a 1C that wants to be here, they could offer him $12-14 mill a year for 6 years. Granted we need new owners that could afford it but we might solve our 1C issue finally. If TML matches, they are screwed cap wise. They might take the picks. Trust me, Mathews would sign it.
How do you know he wants out of TO? How do you know he wants to play here? What the hell are you saying "trust me, Matthews would sign it"? He and Babcock might have a rift, but if push comes to shove there, it's bye bye Babcock.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. It’s a pipe dream. Want to see AM in a Coyotes uniform? Play NHL on Xbox.

But we got nothing better to talk about haha

Reactions: RABBIT

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. It’s a pipe dream. Want to see AM in a Coyotes uniform? Play NHL on Xbox.

But we got nothing better to talk about haha

It may happen once he becomes a UFA, but I doubt Arizona would cough up enough to get him to sign here. With our current ownership, he'd have to accept a $5-6 million offer; I doubt that'll ever happen. Of course he could just "dog" it for a few seasons if he really wanted to escape the Taveres/Nylander (and probably Marner) show. I still think another team would be able to afford him before us.

Still, dreaming (pipe or otherwise) is a mentally healthy thing to do :)

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Somebody point me to where Matthew has ever, ever indicated that he wants out of Toronto to play in Arizona. No one wants to go to a team so unstable as ours.
I was in a bar with his uncles poodles babysitter and she said that AM is a huge fan of the Rising. He wants to come back to be close to the team and pursue his lifelong dream of playing professional soccer once his hockey career is over.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
lmao @ Duclair getting benched after 24 seconds. Might have to continue his career in Europe.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I was in a bar with his uncles poodles babysitter and she said that AM is a huge fan of the Rising. He wants to come back to be close to the team and pursue his lifelong dream of playing professional soccer once his hockey career is over.

Steve Nash style!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
lmao @ Duclair getting benched after 24 seconds. Might have to continue his career in Europe.
I think Duclair has all air between the ears. One game you see him scoring a high light goal and the next game is scratched. I thought for sure he would end up much better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad