Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I have been ignoring the new puck thing. Will we be forced to watch the streaking thing? Its very distracting to me. No need for it with today's TV's.

Reactions: Jakey53 and MIG

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Wait til you see the glow puck and see-through boards lined up for next year.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Bettman said we would be able to watch with it or without...how the hell are we supposed to watch without? I have no desire to watch his version of hockey for idiots.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Embarrassing for who?? You maybe. :laugh:

I doubt any of the male skaters practiced for these events. Schofield flew in the night before and worked out.

Keller wasn’t the only all star who lost an event. Another female skater invited participate had the best time in the passing event. Destroyed Draisaitl’s time in fact, but didn’t get the $25k prize because none of the female skaters were officially part of the event. CCM Hockey is going to send her a check though.
I didn't see the event you are talking about. Hopefully they have more female's at next years event. I love watching the skills competition and making it more competitive would be even better. The NHL may have opened up a can of worms here as I think fans will want the female athletes to compete in the skills competition after what happened yesterday. Not sure, but I thought I heard that the players were on the ice the day before to practice the event they were in.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I enjoyed the Girls getting an invite and competing in the Skills Competition but boy the rhetoric the last couple days about how they are as good as men and getting closer is getting old fast. Female hockey has improved but let's not get silly, they still play midget level boys team when they have exhibition games, and regularly lose. Celebrate their growth but keep it in perspective.

Reactions: CC96 and CLW

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That might sum it up perfectly. Be interesting to see next year if any guys lose to the Female?
That's if the NHL invites any females.:) Let's see if the NHLPA has anything to say. Keller probably has them on speed dial as we speak.;)

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
No, it won't effect his wallet. They will all keep their season tickets. They have loyal fans and a young top 5 player in McDavid. It might start affecting his ego being criticized constantly. The owner brought in an experienced GM, and that GM brought in 2 experienced coaches. Who is next? Who do you hire? DM maybe, who else is available? Do you make keith Gretzky your GM?
I'm a season ticket holder and we're cancelling after this season, and I know at least 10 others that are as well. The suite and loge 3 year terms expire this year and the poor economy combined with no clients wanting to go to games mean there will be a ton of cancellations there. Tickets are cheaper to buy now than the season ticket holder cost and fans are not happy. Katz will be bleeding money this summer.

It doesn't matter who they hire as the entire upper management team is completely and utterly incompetent. Bob Nicholson is as clueless as Chia and it's clear that the org still hasn't learned their lesson and is doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Chia didn't renew Tyler Dellows contract and fired the only remaining statistician on staff a year ago so they're the only org in the league that doesn't even have an analytics department. It's a gong show over there.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Edmonton needs to fire a lot of people. MacT, Gretzky (don't care about his past, he needs to go away), and Lowe. I don't fully buy that Kevin Lowe isn't involved in hockey ops anymore. And that's just a short list of people who need to go away.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm a season ticket holder and we're cancelling after this season, and I know at least 10 others that are as well. The suite and loge 3 year terms expire this year and the poor economy combined with no clients wanting to go to games mean there will be a ton of cancellations there. Tickets are cheaper to buy now than the season ticket holder cost and fans are not happy. Katz will be bleeding money this summer.

It doesn't matter who they hire as the entire upper management team is completely and utterly incompetent. Bob Nicholson is as clueless as Chia and it's clear that the org still hasn't learned their lesson and is doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Chia didn't renew Tyler Dellows contract and fired the only remaining statistician on staff a year ago so they're the only org in the league that doesn't even have an analytics department. It's a gong show over there.
I doubt they have a loss in season tickets, people will be standing in line to buy them from you and others. It is still a hockey hot bed. Lets see what the numbers are this year compared to next year. Between now and then, they will hire a GM and paint a rosy picture, and you still have McDavid.

The owner needs to hire consultants to help him pick somebody that would be the GM and in charge of hockey operations. The culture at the top needs to change, meaning MacT/Lowe/Nicholson need to go. You can't change the owner but you should change everyone below him, otherwise more of the same.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I bet you won't cancel if the Oilers make the playoffs and go a round or two. If you do cancel, the next name on the waiting list will pick up your tickets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I doubt they have a loss in season tickets, people will be standing in line to buy them from you and others. It is still a hockey hot bed. Lets see what the numbers are this year compared to next year. Between now and then, they will hire a GM and paint a rosy picture, and you still have McDavid.

The owner needs to hire consultants to help him pick somebody that would be the GM and in charge of hockey operations. The culture at the top needs to change, meaning MacT/Lowe/Nicholson need to go. You can't change the owner but you should change everyone below him, otherwise more of the same.
I agree, but you forgot one name that has to go but probably won't. You might know him by his nick name, TGO.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I can't even begin to count the number of times I swore that I wouldn't renew my season tickets.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
That's if the NHL invites any females.:) Let's see if the NHLPA has anything to say. Keller probably has them on speed dial as we speak.;)

Bah, bet that woman has more muscle on her legs than Keller. In other words, it' a Summer workout challenge for our boy Keller.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

I know someone who was 1600th on the waitlist prior to last summer that had an opportunity to buy them, and declined. This market is fed up with the team. For the first time since the early 2000s they didn't sell out minipacks at the start of the year, and every game outside of the ones against the Leafs and Habs had tickets for below face value available on game day. Being able to buy tickets for less than $30, including fees, is unprecedented in this market but that's whats happening now.

I think it will be another 3-4 disastrous seasons before we see meaningful change in the front office. The NHL needs to step in at this point because it's embarrassing.

I bet you won't cancel if the Oilers make the playoffs and go a round or two. If you do cancel, the next name on the waiting list will pick up your tickets.
They won't make the playoffs and even if they do I couldn't care less. I'm done with the team, hence why I'm here right now. The waitlist has shrunk and I'd be willing to bet that next season they start advertising season ticket packages because the ones still on the waitlist are declining their options.

I'm curious. Does your comment refer to a specific industry or a broader economic contraction?
It refers to the oil industry and the pipeline crisis caused by our moron of a Prime Minister. Guys are no longer pulling in $500k+ driving trucks up in Fort Mac and blowing it all on Oilers tickets.

My dad's firm has loge seats and a suite and they've been unable to find clients to go to games this year. There will be a ton of companies who realize that it just doesn't make sense to have these tickets anymore.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
^
Tickets consistently available below season ticket holder cost, if true, is a sign of a big problem for ownership. It's totally irrational for anyone to commit to a season in that environment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I know someone who was 1600th on the waitlist prior to last summer that had an opportunity to buy them, and declined. This market is fed up with the team. For the first time since the early 2000s they didn't sell out minipacks at the start of the year, and every game outside of the ones against the Leafs and Habs had tickets for below face value available on game day. Being able to buy tickets for less than $30, including fees, is unprecedented in this market but that's whats happening now.

I think it will be another 3-4 disastrous seasons before we see meaningful change in the front office. The NHL needs to step in at this point because it's embarrassing.

They won't make the playoffs and even if they do I couldn't care less. I'm done with the team, hence why I'm here right now. The waitlist has shrunk and I'd be willing to bet that next season they start advertising season ticket packages because the ones still on the waitlist are declining their options.

It refers to the oil industry and the pipeline crisis caused by our moron of a Prime Minister. Guys are no longer pulling in $500k+ driving trucks up in Fort Mac and blowing it all on Oilers tickets.

My dad's firm has loge seats and a suite and they've been unable to find clients to go to games this year. There will be a ton of companies who realize that it just doesn't make sense to have these tickets anymore.

^
Tickets consistently available below season ticket holder cost, if true, is a sign of a big problem for ownership. It's totally irrational for anyone to commit to a season in that environment.
All it will take is the Oilers to get into the playoffs and all will be forgiven. If the Oilers got into the playoffs the barn would be full with people lining up for tickets.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
What did the Coyotes do to deserve such a long All Star break? Not sure this benefits us, unless OEL magically heals by Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad