Around the NHL #17, the 18/19 on-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Is it just me, or is Edmonton playing a team that's on the 2nd night of a back to back pretty much every game.

Kind of makes sense given the fact they had the euro trip to start the year. From what I understand our schedule softens up quite a bit after Christmas given these brutal 2 games in 2 nights out east we’ve been having.

At least that’s what they were discussing on Monday night. Tends to even out over the course of a season

Reactions: Boomstick

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I think the Oilers schedule has them leading the league in this category. Perhaps to make up for early trip to Europe
Friedman talked a bit about the Flames schedule in his 31 thoughts this week.

13. One of 2018–19’s early-season mysteries is, “What’s up with Calgary’s schedule?” The Flames are in the midst of their second two-game eastern road trip. Last week, it was the Rangers and Montreal, with a day in between. This week, it’s a back-to-back in Toronto and Buffalo. There are two more on the way: Chicago/Columbus in December; and Washington/Carolina out of their extended All-Star Break. (Both have a day between games.)

This is extremely unusual. You rarely see an eastern team go through western Canada without playing all of the Canucks, Flames and Oilers. So what gives? You’ll remember GMs were annoyed at how those five-day breaks worked last season, with 26 teams teams returning from them facing opponents who hadn’t been frolicking on Caribbean beaches. The returnees went 8-14-4. The GMs voted for change at their March meeting, putting half the teams on vacation before All-Star and half after. Seemed like a good compromise, but it was late for putting together the schedule and there was risk someone would suffer.

Edmonton going overseas (and wisely asking to stay east for a few games afterwards) also hurt Calgary, because when one goes on the road, it is not beneficial for scheduling to have the other at home. So the Flames were in a rough spot. Their travel milage is up from normal. Where they did get help was in back-to-backs and three-games-in-four-nights scenarios. I counted 10 of the former, and 11 of the latter — which is low. (I think that’s second-fewest for both.) Additionally, that should result in fewer “schedule losses,” where your opponent is sitting in wait while you play the night before. That’s the trade-off. If they can survive these early speedbumps coming off their return from China, there are schedule benefits to come.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gotta make sure Edmonton is happy so give them the pillow soft schedule and destroy the Flames in the process. Nothing new here from the NHL.

All summer all I read was Edmonton fans complaining about how hard their schedule was, when they lead the league in playing "tired" opponents by triple the next team (it was posted on CP). Tired meaning playing the team on the 2nd night of a back-to-back.

Flames have done extremely well considering the schedule, not only have they beat 4 of the top 5 teams in the league (we haven't played Tampa yet), they've played more games on the road, most games are 2 game stretches of home then away which would get super exhausting on the body never really getting a chance to rest when you're on and off planes pretty much all the time.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
If you guys want to see what a meltdown looks like I encourage you to go check out the Leafs GDT against Dallas tonight. It really does put us to shame we need to step our game up next time things go slightly less than desirably

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If you guys want to see what a meltdown looks like I encourage you to go check out the Leafs GDT against Dallas tonight. It really does put us to shame we need to step our game up next time things go slightly less than desirably
The way Matthews plays the Leafs fans better get accustomed to him being out. He tries to play that physical game and he is so fragile he just breaks. The Leafs Fans better hope his career trajectory isn't like Lindros or Lupul.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
LA and San Jose both just (or about to) lost in regulation. With Vegas also losing in regulation, Pacific division continues it's losing tendancies. Unfortunately the Oilers keep winning so the Flames need to continue their play so the greasers up north don't overtake us.

Flames not only leading the Pacific division, but are tied for 2nd in the overall league standings. Flames also have the most goals for (though we have also played the most games). Again though unfortunately the Flames are 4th last for goals against.

If Flames can find that goaltender that can make the saves (I think we have it in Rittich), Flames will be a powerhouse this year.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
:habs

I can't believe that the Habs are actually competitive but to be only a point out of the Conference lead is mind-boggling. I can not believe Bergevin survived the fiasco last year was and then to double down on youth... WOW

Reactions: Janks and super6646

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017

I can't believe that the Habs are actually competitive but to be only a point out of the Conference lead is mind-boggling. I can not believe Bergevin survived the fiasco last year was and then to double down on youth... WOW

I’m from Montreal and honestly they are so fun to watch play. Just goes to show how adjusting a system to your teams strengths and having good chemistry in the locker room can make you successful. Saw the same thing with Vegas last year. Momentum is everything

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

Petry has done a good job as filling in as #1 D (as he did last year), and they get Weber back in just over a month. Ouellet has surprised me too after it seemed like he was just a francohphone-based signing in the summer. And Price has a .910 sp at the moment, so there's room for the team to improve defensively too.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
According to NHL.com, the league average is .909 right now.
After the changes to the goalie equipment this had to be expected. If experience lends anything to the situation the the save percentages should climb until the all-star break and then plateau. Some of the less athletic goalies will have their careers end but over-all it should be good for hockey.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just thought I would take a picture of this and post it... for posterity.
standings.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad