Around the League

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
EP at 12 mil is not feasible for this team. 12 mil contracts are basically the end of cup contender status for teams, because it leads you to gutting your depth. The only time its been successful is with Malkin and Crosby (equiv % at the time) and that is two top 5 centers. I love Larks but he is not a top 5 center and EP maybe is. It is not a clear cut as Crosby/Malkin in their cup days, where you could argue that they were really consistently top 3 with maybe Datsyuk as the 3rd.

If you want to compete for a cup for a semi extended period of time, you have to have people on ELCs and 2nd contracts. Look at Chicago as an example. Toews and Kane signing their big deals basically lead to downfall of that team as a constant cup contender. Hockey is a team sport. Depth and defense will usually lead you to a cup.

Boston is the team we should emulate. Give me two 70-85pt two way centers. Have overall depth scoring, an elite defense, and some solid goaltending.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Yes, please call attention to a team kicking ass in the standings and still bringing in about 10k people per game, but let the rest of the league keep subsidizing the epitome of FUBAR known as Arizona.

Thumbs up, Bettman.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Yes, please call attention to a team kicking ass in the standings and still bringing in about 10k people per game, but let the rest of the league keep subsidizing the epitome of FUBAR known as Arizona.

Thumbs up, Bettman.

Agreed.

From the article:

The Jets have averaged the second-fewest fans per game in the NHL this season.

Hmm... I wonder which team could possibly have the lowest?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Thumbs up, Bettman.
kicking ass in the standings? that makes it worse that they can't even sell out an arena as small as theirs not better

assuming they make it this year they'll have missed the Playoffs only 1 time in the past 7 years, and they've never once had a points percentage below .475(a mark something like 7-10 teams do worse than every single year) in the 13 seasons since they've moved back to Winnipeg even the years they did miss the Playoffs

imagine how bad their attendance will be when they inevitably have a 5+ season stretch where they aren't anywhere close to the Playoffs like every team does eventually if it's this bad now

Arizona is a mess with their arena situation but that doesn't mean Winnipeg isn't in an embarrassing spot too

Reactions: Winger98

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
kicking ass in the standings? that makes it worse that they can't even sell out an arena as small as theirs not better

assuming they make it this year they'll have missed the Playoffs only 1 time in the past 7 years, and they've never once had a points percentage below .475(a mark something like 7-10 teams do worse than every single year) in the 13 seasons since they've moved back to Winnipeg even the years they did miss the Playoffs

imagine how bad their attendance will be when they inevitably have a 5+ season stretch where they aren't anywhere close to the Playoffs like every team does eventually if it's this bad now

Arizona is a mess with their arena situation but that doesn't mean Winnipeg isn't in an embarrassing spot too
There's a reason the team in Arizona came from Winterpeg in the first place...

Reactions: Winger98

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

I know this isn't the narrative you're going for, but it honestly might be better when this happens attendance wise. Cheaper tickets and they'll have economic recovery from being further removed from COVID

I know most Americans dont follow the Canadian economy so I dont blame you for not knowing this, but Winnipeg/Manitoba have had probably hardest time of any Canadian region with economic recovery post pandemic. It's real bad out there, worse than just about anywhere else in Canada.

Like I get it, it is what it is and all, but we've seen how f***ing pathetic attendance is in the likes of Nashville, Carolina, and Florida when they're bad for a long time and the league does everything it can to protect those franchises (dont even get me started with Arizona), so I'd like to see Winnipeg get some reprieve until their provincial and local economies can recover a bit (hell, federal as well). Hockey fandom out there is nuts, they were crushing it pre-pandemic. There's no reason why they can't get back there next time things are on the upswing.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I know this isn't the narrative you're going for, but it honestly might be better when this happens attendance wise. Cheaper tickets and they'll have economic recovery from being further removed from COVID

I know most Americans dont follow the Canadian economy so I dont blame you for not knowing this, but Winnipeg/Manitoba have had probably hardest time of any Canadian region with economic recovery post pandemic. It's real bad out there, worse than just about anywhere else in Canada.

Like I get it, it is what it is and all, but we've seen how f***ing pathetic attendance is in the likes of Nashville, Carolina, and Florida when they're bad for a long time and the league does everything it can to protect those franchises (dont even get me started with Arizona), so I'd like to see Winnipeg get some reprieve until their provincial and local economies can recover a bit (hell, federal as well). Hockey fandom out there is nuts, they were crushing it pre-pandemic. There's no reason why they can't get back there next time things are on the upswing.
Cheaper tickets? In what world do ticket prices ever go down?

They aren't selling out. They haven't lowered ticket prices. Still aren't selling out. If they won't lower them now... what makes you think they'll lower them later?

This passage gets me

"Bettman said there needs to be a collaboration between the team, the community and the fans to find a solution.

Bettman’s comments come days after Jets chairman Mark Chipman said in an interview with The Athletic that current attendance numbers are not sustainable."

This shit isn't complicated. If you want more people, lower the prices. If the revenue with lower prices still isn't sustainable, lower operating costs. If you can't lower operating costs within the framework of the CBA, spend some of your own money to bridge the gap. If you don't want to bridge the gap, sell the team.

Last edited:

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Sounds like Tanev to Dallas. LeBrun says trade call still pending....
All wrapped up. I’m surprised NJ took on salary and didn’t push for Tanev. If they don’t add to their defense or goalie situation, they’re not making the playoffs.

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
Dostal with a sick performance (51/54 and a penalty shot save with 2sec to go) in the regulation win against NJ. Bit more comforting if the Devils can't gain ground. I thought they'd be one of the best teams in the league before this season started.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Imagine having all that lottery luck and still sucking
I keep repeating it because it's so hard to believe but the Wings have not had a top 3 pick since 1990 when they selected Keith Primeau at 3rd overall.

Their last pick at 2nd overall was Marcel Dionne in 1971.

Their last 1st overall pick was Joe Murphy in 1986.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Good deal for both sides re Vancouver and Pettersson. I thought he was going to get 12.5 with the cap going up. Getting it under 12 is decent business.

No need to be upset now since he for sure isn't being traded to a non-Red Wings team lol

Last edited:

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
What a absolute 180 from last year. I hope they don't go on a tear with their new coach like Edmonton did.
1709646224905.png

I don't know if they will, but if they do, they play the Leafs 3 times, the Pens and NYI twice, the wings just need to find some wins and stay ahead of the 3rd place Met team (whom ever it is).

Reactions: RabidBadger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad