Around the League

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I consider both prospects to be very important to the Wings rebuild. We get those inexpensive years. And then there is the contract for EP, which would make us even more reliant on those inexpensive years.

EP, and extensions to Seider and Raymond will eat up all off season cap space. Our depth would take a huge hit.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I consider both prospects to be very important to the Wings rebuild. We get those inexpensive years. And then there is the contract for EP, which would make us even more reliant on those inexpensive years.

EP, and extensions to Seider and Raymond will eat up all off season cap space. Our depth would take a huge hit.
Agree to disagree. I think Ed is fine but not too high on Danielson rn. EP would be the best player we had since Datsyuk retired. If it takes that package to get him, i say get him. a 1-2 punch of EP and Larkin down the middle is very hard to come by in the NHL. As far as extensions for Seider and Raymond are concerned, we would have to dump some guys like Fabbri, Maatta, maybe Holl. I think if EP were to come along, Stevie would find a way to make it work.

Reactions: WaW

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Agree to disagree. I think Ed is fine but not too high on Danielson rn. EP would be the best player we had since Datsyuk retired. If it takes that package to get him, i say get him. a 1-2 punch of EP and Larkin down the middle is very hard to come by in the NHL. As far as extensions for Seider and Raymond are concerned, we would have to dump some guys like Fabbri, Maatta, maybe Holl. I think if EP were to come along, Stevie would find a way to make it work.
Remember when we had Z and Pavel but didn't have D anymore? Down the middle is only as strong as your back end. We are witnessing right now the strain of only having Mo to count on back there. Barring an EP sized trade on the back end, Ed is the best hope we have of helping Mo out. I'm not trading him.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Remember when we had Z and Pavel but didn't have D anymore? Down the middle is only as strong as your back end. We are witnessing right now the strain of only having Mo to count on back there. Barring an EP sized trade on the back end, Ed is the best hope we have of helping Mo out. I'm not trading him.
our D would be Seider, Walman and soon Wallinder and ASP as the core. You can fill in the rest with ufa's and vets

Reactions: WaW

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
our D would be Seider, Walman and soon Wallinder and ASP as the core. You can fill in the rest with ufa's and vets

With what money?

After signing Seider and Raymond (8.5M and 7.0M) we will have 11.3M left with 8 forwards(including Klim), 6 D and 2 goalies signed.

How do you suppose we sign EP with that money?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think we'd have to deal Ed for Pettersson. I don't think any team is offering up their two best prospects and two 1st rounders, at least not prospects of the quality of Ed. I'm also not in love with the idea of giving Pettersson 12m.

With what money?

After signing Seider and Raymond (8.5M and 7.0M) we will have 11.3M left with 8 forwards(including Klim), 6 D and 2 goalies signed.

How do you suppose we sign EP with that money?

I think we'd find out what ten teams are on Copp's no trade list.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If we're pensiling in Wallinder, who may not even be an NHLer (that's still within his range of outcomes), as a "core piece" of our top-4 defense in order to help mitigate the blow of trading our entire future for Elias Petterson, then.... I think maybe trading our entire future for Elias Petterson is a bad idea lol.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If we're pensiling in Wallinder, who may not even be an NHLer (that's still within his range of outcomes), as a "core piece" of our top-4 defense in order to help mitigate the blow of trading our entire future for Elias Petterson, then.... I think maybe trading our entire future for Elias Petterson is a bad idea lol.
What is this entire future nonsense? Ed and some late 1st rounders?

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
What is this entire future nonsense? Ed and some late 1st rounders?
Admittedly, I'm being hyperbolic with the word "entire," but Ed and Danielson are a massive portion of the Wings future in my estimation (I know you don't agree on Danielson). I don't care a ton about the 1st rounders, but they're also not nothing.

If the Wings were about 2 steps further ahead than they are now, a trade for EP would make more sense to me. As it is, the Wings still haven't made the playoffs in 7 years, so I think it's a bit too soon to be mortgaging such a large part of the future for a relatively very expensive player.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Admittedly, I'm being hyperbolic with the word "entire," but Ed and Danielson are a massive portion of the Wings future in my estimation (I know you don't agree on Danielson). I don't care a ton about the 1st rounders, but they're also not nothing.

If the Wings were about 2 steps further ahead than they are now, a trade for EP would make more sense to me. As it is, the Wings still haven't made the playoffs in 7 years, so I think it's a bit too soon to be mortgaging such a large part of the future for a relatively very expensive player.
Ed, I agree with but there is no need for Danielson if the team has EP and Larkin down the middle. Anyways, sure id like to see it happen because EP is exactly what the Wings have needed since Datsyuk retired but I admit, i don't see Yzerman making that kind of splash.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Ed, I agree with but there is no need for Danielson if the team has EP and Larkin down the middle. Anyways, sure id like to see it happen because EP is exactly what the Wings have needed since Datsyuk retired but I admit, i don't see Yzerman making that kind of splash.
I'm amused about all these "since Datsyuk retired" comments all over this board when "since Lidstrom retired" was the death knell of our competitiveness.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm amused about all these "since Datsyuk retired" comments all over this board when "since Lidstrom retired" was the death knell of our competitiveness.
I agree, but what I said is still true. I wasn't commenting on the team competitiveness. I was commenting about the type of players they are.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
That's easier said when you don't think as highly of Danielson though. Now, I don't think Danielson is going to be as valuable as EP, but if he's 60-75% of EP, and Ed is 80-90% of EP (but on defense), I think you're giving up too much.

Anyway, this is a a pretty easy "agree to disagree" topic. I get and appreciate the goal in this trade suggestion. And I would like to acquire EP.... just at a lower cost lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: norrisnick

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That's easier said when you don't think as highly of Danielson though. Now, I don't think Danielson is going to be as valuable as EP, but if he's 60-75% of EP, and Ed is 80-90% of EP (but on defense), I think you're giving up too much.

Anyway, this is a a pretty easy "agree to disagree" topic. I get and appreciate the goal in this trade suggestion. And i would like to acquire EP.... just at a lower cost lol.

That's a lot of math, we may need to call in Scott Steiner on this one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad