GDT: Around the League

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
About halfway through the 2nd and Columbus is losing to Edmonton 1-0, even though they are outplaying them big time.

columbus lost to the oilers in regulation.
GGGGGGGOOOOOOCCCCCAAAAATTTTTTSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
we are still in the hunt.

Reactions: Cold Cat

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
They haven't been able to figure it out and put together a sustainable brand of winning hockey for any long stretch this season, but they were still talented enough to get by and pick up wins here and there early in the season. That's all I'm referring to. I'm not saying they were some dominant team. They were 7th in the nhl at the break, they had had a good season up to that point no matter how much luck was involved. All they had to do from that point was coast. Instead they fell right on their faces.

for what it's worth, i watched the pens game today (hoping for a canes loss...) and left it on afterward. i hadn't been following them closely but the language coming from the coaches and players sounds very familiar. not playing as a team, not enough compete, need to find swagger, etc.

in other words, it's not just the panthers.

Reactions: harv33173

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
for what it's worth, i watched the pens game today (hoping for a canes loss...) and left it on afterward. i hadn't been following them closely but the language coming from the coaches and players sounds very familiar. not playing as a team, not enough compete, need to find swagger, etc.

in other words, it's not just the panthers.

Every team goes through stretches lile this, but it happens to the Panthers far too often. When's the last time they played hard, committed, structured hockey for at least 15-20 games? I'm not talking about the off game here and there, yes those are going to happen. But a long stretch where they laid it all on the line and were all playing on the same page....it certainly hasn't happened this season. Whereas you can't say the same for at least 66% of the league.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Every team goes through stretches lile this, but it happens to the Panthers far too often. When's the last time they played hard, committed, structured hockey for at least 15-20 games? I'm not talking about the off game here and there, yes those are going to happen. But a long stretch where they laid it all on the line and were all playing on the same page....it certainly hasn't happened this season. Whereas you can't say the same for at least 66% of the league.

believe me, i agree. i watch the bruins most nights.

i think what they're having trouble with is finding that balance between grit and finesse. in other words, finding an identity.

watched a bit of columbus last night and sheez... they are physical, simple and consistent. it's amazing. but they have to be in order to compete.

i really think some of our guys don't get it. tro was definitely one of them so shipping him helps but there are more. we need to change the balance of player types to the point where guys don't have an excuse and the ones who can go either way, play the right way.

we're close now. thought with the addition of haula and wallmark, the scale might've been tipped but that hasn't happened. i have been thinking lately though that the guys were moping a little - feeling sorry for themselves about the tro trade.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

i think what they're having trouble with is finding that balance between grit and finesse. in other words, finding an identity.

watched a bit of columbus last night and sheez... they are physical, simple and consistent. it's amazing. but they have to be in order to compete.

i really think some of our guys don't get it. tro was definitely one of them so shipping him helps but there are more. we need to change the balance of player types to the point where guys don't have an excuse and the ones who can go either way, play the right way.

we're close now. thought with the addition of haula and wallmark, the scale might've been tipped but that hasn't happened. i have been thinking lately though that the guys were moping a little - feeling sorry for themselves about the tro trade.

The Tro trade might have been it

But I think we need to acquire at least two bigger, physical bodies up front. One top 9 guy and one fighter/4th line guy. We need a fighter to create a spark sometimes and to stand up for our guys. Bigger bodies on defense would help too, but we need to be the aggressors in the crash and bang department, not the reactors.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

An aside but I think the Bruins peaked too early this season, because they got so close last season and were overeager. I think they got lightning-itis and may well be out in the first round.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
An aside but I think the Bruins peaked too early this season, because they got so close last season and were overeager. I think they got lightning-itis and may well be out in the first round.

we'll see. i highly doubt it though. did you watch the lightning games this week? as much as i admire the canes and blue jackets, i don't think either will come any closer than they did last year. the Bs are so deep, so tough and have great leadership.

that said, they can be coaxed into abandoning their game at times. i think the lightning could beat them in a long series. caps can raise their game and have the depth as well. it'll be an interesting playoff.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The Tro trade might have been it

But I think we need to acquire at least two bigger, physical bodies up front. One top 9 guy and one fighter/4th line guy. We need a fighter to create a spark sometimes and to stand up for our guys. Bigger bodies on defense would help too, but we need to be the aggressors in the crash and bang department, not the reactors.

i agree.i don't think have the mix we need to compete with the big boys up front either.

Reactions: violaswallet

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It is not too bad. They are overreacting pretty bad and everyone is overreacting because the media is going crazy. But they are also not allowing gatherings of 1000 people anymore...
Such bullshit
That's still better than the Czech republic - starting tomorrow, gatherings bigger than 100 people are forbidden and all schools are closed (including universities).

Speaking of Corona, I just figured out how this season will go:
We will make the playoffs AND win a playoff round!!! Unfortunately, nobody will be able to attend the games because of an upcoming Coronavirus ban...

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
It is not too bad. They are overreacting pretty bad and everyone is overreacting because the media is going crazy. But they are also not allowing gatherings of 1000 people anymore...
Such bullshit
It's not overreacting. It's called taking precautions so you don't end up like Italy/South Korea/China.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
That's still better than the Czech republic - starting tomorrow, gatherings bigger than 100 people are forbidden and all schools are closed (including universities).

Speaking of Corona, I just figured out how this season will go:
We will make the playoffs AND win a playoff round!!! Unfortunately, nobody will be able to attend the games because of an upcoming Coronavirus ban...

That gives the Panthers an advantage, because they are the only team used to playing in front of no fans. :joker: ( Surprised I haven't heard this joke yet.)

Reactions: Kellyr

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean they just called off the playoffs of the German hockey league.. This is overreacting completely

IMG_0404.JPG

Reactions: KW and Boothinator

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
At the rate leagues around the world are shutting down, we'll be lucky to have playoffs.

It is crazy. They are shutting every big events down here by government . Yet I can still go by train and have to go to work. Looool but what I do during my free time will be canceled. f*** it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad