Around the League vol 7 - Free Agent Frenzy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's obvious that our RFA's clearly wanted more than others. Yes I'm sure Dubas played a part in it, but I believe the fair share was from the players. I mean just look at Nylander. He waited until the last minute possible to sign a deal and risked potentially sitting out an entire year. Not one other RFA this season even missed a game, they signed cheaper deals because they didn't care as much about the money and wanted to play games.

The whole Nylander situation really screwed over the Marner and Matthews contracts. Seeing how poorly Nylander played afterwards, and knowing that this season is one of the best chances the Leafs will have at the chance of a cup Marner and Matthews took advantage of that and demanded the world. The Leafs need Matthews and Marner more than they need us.

Dubas was damned if he did, damned if he didnt. He doesn't sign them, there goes a contending year and potentially ruining the relationships between two star players. He budges and signs them to slightly overpaid contracts and everyone bitches about it.

Everyone says the team has more leverage, but the way I look at it, Matthews and Marner had a lot more leverage than the Leafs ever did.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's obvious that our RFA's clearly wanted more than others. Yes I'm sure Dubas played a part in it, but I believe the fair share was from the players. I mean just look at Nylander. He waited until the last minute possible to sign a deal and risked potentially sitting out an entire year. Not one other RFA this season even missed a game, they signed cheaper deals because they didn't care as much about the money and wanted to play games.

The whole Nylander situation really screwed over the Marner and Matthews contracts. Seeing how poorly Nylander played afterwards, and knowing that this season is one of the best chances the Leafs will have at the chance of a cup Marner and Matthews took advantage of that and demanded the world. The Leafs need Matthews and Marner more than they need us.

Dubas was damned if he did, damned if he didnt. He doesn't sign them, there goes a contending year and potentially ruining the relationships between two star players. He budges and signs them to slightly overpaid contracts and everyone *****es about it.

Everyone says the team has more leverage, but the way I look at it, Matthews and Marner had a lot more leverage than the Leafs ever did.
teams still holds the cards in RFA situations imo, as much as having players sit out hurts the team it hurts the player more where they care most......financially. Leafs are still going to sell out regardless of any player holding out, and said players aren't going to risk injury riding the season out playing in Europe. GM's have all the leverage and seeing players folding one after another this fall pretty much proves it.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
teams still holds the cards in RFA situations imo, as much as having players sit out hurts the team it hurts the player more where they care most......financially. Leafs are still going to sell out regardless of any player holding out, and said players aren't going to risk injury riding the season out playing in Europe. GM's have all the leverage and seeing players folding one after another this fall pretty much proves it.
When you have a franchise such as the Leafs, and one that hasn't won in over 50 years you don't throw away a competitive year to save a mill or two.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When you have a franchise such as the Leafs, and one that hasn't won in over 50 years you don't throw away a competitive year to save a mill or two.

Yep.

People here are fixating on making a moral stand -not taking account how those brash decisions impact real life.

Reactions: 7even

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
When we traded Kadri it was bitter sweet. We lost a heart and soul guy (regardless of the suspensions). I was happy we shored up our right D and replaced the 3rd line centre spot. I was sad to see him go, but thought he deserved to get a true #2 centre gig somewhere. Today I look at his wingers and it's looking like Burakovsky and Donskoi. Both have never cracked 40 points or 20 goals. Maybe he can make the players around him better, but those guys seem more like classic third liners to me.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
When we traded Kadri it was bitter sweet. We lost a heart and soul guy (regardless of the suspensions). I was happy we shored up our right D and replaced the 3rd line centre spot. I was sad to see him go, but thought he deserved to get a true #2 centre gig somewhere. Today I look at his wingers and it's looking like Burakovsky and Donskoi. Both have never cracked 40 points or 20 goals. Maybe he can make the players around him better, but those guys seem more like classic third liners to me.
Dubas sold high on Kadri...might have a career year left in him ,but definitely on the downslope. Good move,even though I'm not impressed with Barrie so far.I like that he can fire the puck from the point,but i don't think he has shown much otherwise..plenty of errors in his own end,hasn't been good under pressure. Sandin lookin' like he could make Barrie expendable...Kerfoot has been better than advertised ,however...be nice if he pans out1

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Although I love JT, I didn't think a #2 center was needed on this team. I'm on the fence about Barrie/Kerfoot, the former might leave sooner than later and the latter has little to no bite. Regardless of the return, Kadri's time here had run out, it was best for both team/player that he was moved.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Maybe Edmonton Oilers sold their soul to Old Nick for that other worldly team of superstars in the 1980's and these last two decades of teasing and pain are just the beginning of their eternal price for the 1980's dynasty. But what did Connor McDavid do to deserve this fate?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Interesting to see what suspension Kane gets as a result of that game.
There was also wrongdoing on the part of the official in that incident as well.

I hope he doesn’t get anything, but yeah the linesman had great tackling form....

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's not that simple. If Marner was making less it would be easier to get someone like DeSmith.

More than easier, it could happen.

If you total every active player on the team's roster excluding the players on the LTIR and that's under the cap, it's probably going to work. So if Marner theoretically earned $4M less and everything else remained the same, that's $4M to spend.

The backwards calculation for the use of LTIR space seems to be about not having teams using LTIR to accrue cap space.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's not that simple. If Marner was making less it would be easier to get someone like DeSmith.
Well, it is. There are 2 reasons. Firstly, They are in LTIR, so they want to max out the amount available by getting as close to the cap ceiling before invoking LTIR so they get the maximum LTIR relief to use.

The second issue is this. Since they finalized their 23 man roster, they couldn't claim him anyway. The earliest they could waive anyone is tomorrow.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
More than easier, it could happen.

If you total every active player on the team's roster excluding the players on the LTIR and that's under the cap, it's probably going to work. So if Marner theoretically earned $4M less and everything else remained the same, that's $4M to spend.

The backwards calculation for the use of LTIR space seems to be about not having teams using LTIR to accrue cap space.
That's not how LTIR works. The Leafs only get the full benefit of LTIR is if they are at the cap ceiling when they put players on LTIR. If they are $4 million less, they only get to use that amount of LTIR relief. It doesn't create an unused pool to use.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That's not how LTIR works. The Leafs only get the full benefit of LTIR is if they are at the cap ceiling when they put players on LTIR. If they are $4 million less, they only get that amount of LTIR relief. It doesn't create an unused pool to use.

What you've failed to take into account is that the $4M less spent on Marner would have then been spent on other players and hence bring the cap expenditure to the full benefit of the LTIR.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What you've failed to comprehend is that the $4M less spent on Marner would have then been spent on other players and hence bring it to the full benefit of the LTIR.
I comprehend that completely. What you don't comprehend is that still wouldn't allow the team to claim anyone, which is what the original discussion was.

They are at the cap ceiling with a 23 player roster. They cannot claim anyone.

If you can't follow a simple conversation, don't chime in.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I comprehend that completely. What you don't comprehend is that still wouldn't allow the team to claim anyone, which is what the original discussion was.

They are at the cap ceiling with a 23 player roster. They cannot claim anyone.

If you can't follow a simple conversation, don't chime in.

Here's our CapFriendly situation IF Marner made $4M less:

Fall 2019 Marner -4 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Fall 2019 Marner -4 - Copy.jpg
    Fall 2019 Marner -4 - Copy.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad