Around the League vol 4 - Own Goals Count Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Arizona 3 up for the last dpotin the west and they’re only 2 behind StL
I would like VGK to beat Dallas in regulation tonight.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Your Friday game if the night is CBJ and Carolina .....best case scenario....CBJ wins it in OT.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Isles won, so we are now tied for sixth overall with what was supposed to be the worst team in the league.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The same could be said about most of the posts in this thread, except that I suspect this particular fact is more annoying to (mainly Leaf) fans who were predicting that after signing Tavares, Leafs would be on top, and Isles on the very bottom of the standings.

Outside of a playoff race, I really dont care what the Isles do.

So the intent of your post was to annoy Leafs fans?

Reactions: kb

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Outside of a playoff race, I really dont care what the Isles do.

So the intent of your post was to annoy Leafs fans?
No. I posted it because I thought it was interesting. I didn't realize it would bother anyone until a couple of posters complained, and I saw that it was the only post on this thread that drew such comments.

Sorry.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
What did they say the benefit of this current format would be when they changed it? I just don't see any benefits from this. Does it make ratings for the earlier playoff rounds higher because they are always gonna be high in the later rounds?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Don’t know why they don’t go back to that.
Atlantic- Metro winners 1 - 2.
Next 6 best teams.

Would the same complaining not exist though if the Metro division winner was fourth in points yet got the second seed?

Unless the NHL goes to seeding of 1 through 16 league wide with each team having a balanced schedule, there will be flaws with every other playoff system. It's a matter of preference. I liked the 1 through 8 format, but I'm not overly against this format either. I'm just hopeful that when Seattle comes in they scrap the wild cards and they simply go to 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 in each division and then the division winners from those divisional series meet in the conference finals.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
The same could be said about most of the posts in this thread, except that I suspect this particular fact is more annoying to (mainly Leaf) fans who were predicting that after signing Tavares, Leafs would be on top, and Isles on the very bottom of the standings.

Isles fans were alot more critical about their teams than Leafs fans. In fact if you go back to the threads Leafs fans were one of the more complimentary fanbases, probably because many felt bad.

Its kind of strange that now after every single fan base, including the Isles, was wrong about them (this season at least) its become "Leafs fans were wrong."

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Isles fans were alot more critical about their teams than Leafs fans. In fact if you go back to the threads Leafs fans were one of the more complimentary fanbases, probably because many felt bad.

Its kind of strange that now after every single fan base, including the Isles, was wrong about them (this season at least) its become "Leafs fans were wrong."
I wasn't suggesting that it was only Leaf fans who were critical, but rather that Leaf fans are more annoyed by their success, especially considering the outcome of the two games they've played, and the reception JT got there.

Isles fans were critical of JT for the way he left, and of management for losing him, and not supplying him with better teammates and coaches, but I don't think they were critical of the team, beyond having very low expectations.

Reactions: Jmo89

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I wasn't suggesting that it was only Leaf fans who were critical, but rather that Leaf fans are more annoyed by their success, especially considering the outcome of the two games they've played, and the reception JT got there.

Isles fans were critical of JT for the way he left, and of management for losing him, and not supplying him with better teammates and coaches, but I don't think they were critical of the team, beyond having very low expectations.

I was more so just talking about the general sentiment on these boards. I'd personally think most Leaf fans are who are annoyed about anything are annoyed about the coaching and team effort of the Leafs. Very little to do with NYI. Props to them for keeping pace all season long in the metro.

Reactions: kb

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Would the same complaining not exist though if the Metro division winner was fourth in points yet got the second seed?

Unless the NHL goes to seeding of 1 through 16 league wide with each team having a balanced schedule, there will be flaws with every other playoff system. It's a matter of preference. I liked the 1 through 8 format, but I'm not overly against this format either. I'm just hopeful that when Seattle comes in they scrap the wild cards and they simply go to 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 in each division and then the division winners from those divisional series meet in the conference finals.
No system is 100 % perfect.

But having the Division winners (only 2 teams) reduces the risk.

Boston has more points than Washington but the Caps are leading the Metro.
At least this way Boston plays the 6th seed and not the 4th.

Say the 3 best teams in the East are Tampa/Toronto/Boston. 2 have to meet in the 1st round while lower seeds play each other?

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Damn the Wings are quietly building an impressive team.

Rasmussen Larkin Zadina
Bertuzzi Athanasiou Mantha
(2019 2nd overall ) Veleno Svechnikov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad