Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
William Karlsson signs 1 year deal @ $5.25 million after scoring 43 goals and 78 pts...but hey, lets throw $7 to $10 million at Marner and Nylander for 8 years each...
William Karlsson is 25 years old, who’s previous NHL totals before this year were, 25 points, 20 points and 5 points.
This is a 1 year will the real Karlsson please stand up contract. If he has another 70 point season he will be making more than 5 million. Much different from our situation.

Reactions: carko32

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Those are not remotely similar situations. And I hope you understand that if we signed one year contracts for Willy or Mitch, their cap hit would be much lower too?

Yeah, they are not the same...but I think Karlsson gave the VGK a discount...he could push them for $1 million more to $6.25 million for 1 year, and it would still be a decent deal for the VGK because there's no long term commitment on the part of Vegas (and the cap is up)...78 pts in the regular season and 15 pts in 20 games in the playoffs is nothing to sneeze at...some of us speak as if Nylander and Marner should squeeze every penny they could out of the TML and then we see a player like Karlsson giving his team a discount.

Karlsson's game is very suitable for today's NHL...he's fast and tenacious...a good instincts for the net...and has very strong, lower body-strength and core.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
William Karlsson is 25 years old, who’s previous NHL totals before this year were, 25 points, 20 points and 5 points.
This is a 1 year will the real Karlsson please stand up contract. If he has another 70 point season he will be making more than 5 million. Much different from our situation.

He still took a discount...he could have demanded over $6 million and it would still be a fair 1 year deal...one more years of 75 plus points, and he would be easily making $7 million per year.

HC7

May 2, 2018
He still took a discount...he could have demanded over $6 million and it would still be a fair 1 year deal...one more years of 75 plus points, and he would be easily making $7 million per year.

It went to arb, he didn't take a discount. Just shut your mouth if you don't know what you're talking about.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
It went to arb, he didn't take a discount. Just shut your mouth if you don't know what you're talking about.

Why don't you gtfo...he avoided arbitration by signing that 1 year deal.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
William Karlsson has gone from a shooting percentage well under 8% to a league leading 23% last season. He should have pushed for a long term deal. A regression back closer to his career shooting numbers (7.7% career average in the NHL, around 10% in the AHL, 11% in the SEL) is highly likely. At his career NHL shooting percentage, his 184 shots would have yielded 14 goals last season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
William Karlsson has gone from a shooting percentage well under 8% to a league leading 23% last season. He should have pushed for a long term deal. A regression back closer to his career shooting numbers (7.7% career average in the NHL, around 10% in the AHL, 11% in the SEL) is highly likely. At his career NHL shooting percentage, his 184 shots would have yielded 14 goals last season.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

One good season, he wasn't getting a high cap hit, long-term deal. They likely would have signed a LT deal in the $5 mil range... but another season like last, and he's looking at a $7-8 mil deal LT. I get what you are saying, but he's betting that he can repeat his points... If he doesn't, and drops down to 50-60 points, he likely is still in the range to get a LT deal in the $5 range. Not much risk.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
this is the second time I've seen you be a jerk to someone for being wrong YET you're wrong :laugh:

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Karlsson is in a really unique situation. If he produces at a similar clip next year, his next contract will be enormous. Not comparable to Marner or Nylander at all, who have both been projected to be stars since they were 16-17 years old.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yeah theres no way he matches this season’s scoring again, Vegas was smart Tibet him on a one year deal

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
My buddy walked into a change room @ Icelands to get ready for shinny...C. Tanev and Jankowski were getting changed.

I know they're both from the GTA but.....

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
My buddy walked into a change room @ Icelands to get ready for shinny...C. Tanev and Jankowski were getting changed.

I know they're both from the GTA but.....
Awesome. GTA NHLers like to pop up in regular arenas now and then. I remember Nylander randomly dropped by Canlan (Oakville) last summer. Also, Adam Oates trained players at Canlan last summer too. I saw him looking at me as I was practicing breakaways. I think I completely missed. LOL

Of note, I recently booked shinny at Icelands, and for some reason, they gave me the Olympic/Euro rink. There was only 12 of us in total. To say that I almost died is an understatement.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Oh please please pleaaaase someone make this The new video (means replace Faces with Tavares, Marner, Matthews & Nylander would be DA Booomb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So who knew the Senators were in better financial shape than the Flames.

On the issue of funding the proposed project, Watson was crystal clear in his message to the hockey club – saying they will need to come up with the funds for a new downtown arena.
“We don’t have the tax dollars to use to buy or lease an arena. That’s the responsibly of the private sector,” Watson said.
Melnyk appeared to accept the fact that his group will have to shoulder a major portion of the arena funding.
“We are fully capable of funding what we need to accomplish,” Melnyk said.

https://www.tsn.ca/talent/cautious-...na-meeting-between-melnyk-and-mayor-1.1156103

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Been reading through the mainboards and some other teams boards. I must say that Leafs Nation is pretty much the only team that not only doesn't trash players or even MGT who left the team, we actually praised how good they were and that we will have problems replacing them despite in most cases we already got better replacements.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Nylander was in Oslo today, played in an all-star charity game (got picked last in the draft) and scored a goal, this time fortunately he didn't jump Lundqvist. Seemed to have a good time.

Reactions: taurine330

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Kerby Rychel for Hunter Shinkaruk. That trade turned out great for MTL. Jacob Olofsson looks good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad