Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice move for Buffalo .. Impressive they only gave up a second, given they could have 3 potential 1st rounders next year.

Skinner could get a similar package at the deadline if the Sabres want to move him, and he should help off-set some offense lost from ROR.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice move for Buffalo .. Impressive they only gave up a second, given they could have 3 potential 1st rounders next year.

Skinner could get a similar package at the deadline if the Sabres want to move him, and he should help off-set some offense lost from ROR.

He'd need to have a much stronger season to really get much. Kane had a much better season last year + is a more sought after skill set for the playoffs and while he got a 1st and some other decent middling pieces, the first was conditional and gave San Jose a good amount of control over how good it would be.

If the Sabres suck again next year, that probably means Skinner did not do well. If that's the case, they could be struggling to break even on this trad. Especially considering the 2nd they gave up in that deal would end up almost being a late 1st.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That might be the one of worst looking hockey trades I've ever seen. Skinner was 12th in SOG in 2017-18. That isn't the type of talent that you should be able to acquire with bit pieces. If he has an average season for his career, Buffalo will be able to flip him at the trade deadline for a 1st plus more. Goals are a precious commodity.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The Skinner trade makes them better but they're still not very good.

Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Mittelstadt Berglund Okposo
Sheary Sobotka Pominville
Larsson Girgensons Thompson

I don't know how it's planned. The top six has firepower but people say our forwards are soft? That 3rd line is okay, ours will be Johnsson Kadri Brown or something.

The D with Dahlin, Ristolainen, McCabe and Scandella is coming along nicely though.

Buffalo still has several bad contacts (Bogo, Okposo, Berglund, Pominville this year, they'll be smart to try to move Girgensons and Beaulieu for futures at some point - I would take Girgensons as a 4th line C for a pick).

Theyre still playing the guessing game in goal, if Hutton crashes and burns that's another bad deal there.

Theyre absolutely better than Detroit, Montreal and Ottawa, but not as good as Florida, I think they'll get 88-93 points.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The Skinner trade makes them better but they're still not very good.

Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Mittelstadt Berglund Okposo
Sheary Sobotka Pominville
Nylander (maybe) Girgensons Prospect

I don't know how it's planned. The top six has firepower but people say our forwards are soft? That 3rd line is okay, ours will be Johnsson Kadri Brown or something.

The D with Dahlin, Ristolainen, McCabe and Scandella is coming along nicely though.

Buffalo still has several bad contacts (Bogo, Okposo, Berglund, Pominville this year, they'll be smart to try to move Girgensons and Beaulieu for futures at some point - I would take Girgensons as a 4th line C for a pick).

Theyre still playing the guessing game in goal, if Hutton crashes and burns that's another bad deal there.

Theyre absolutely better than Detroit, Montreal and Ottawa, but not as good as Florida, I think they'll get 88-93 points.

It's a good roster to finish just out of the playoffs and end up with a not so great draft pick...:naughty:

Reactions: Raymoondo

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Maybe Skinner was not worth it. He's making almost 6 mill and he was not coming off the best season. It could be their way of opening up a spot for Svechnikov. Maybe they are planning on trading Faulk for a good center. Even if they don't do that, they do have some pretty good young wingers worth a shot and Skinner's value is not going to be higher. They did what we should have done with JvR, and this is what he was worth.

Teravainen, Aho, Svechnikov, Williams are top 6 wingers for them. Skinner does not even have a spot in the top 6 then. Ferland, Zykov, Martinook, Di Giuseppe, McGinn are bottom 6 wingers. Ferland only had 8 fewer points than Skinner last year, and he was on Calgary. Staal, Rask, Necas and Wallmark down the middle. They could use more high end talent down the middle. Getting a guy who could be a top 9 center and buying some time for Necas would be ideal, and that is where Faulk could come in. If they got another center, Necas can also play on the wing. So they are not short on good wingers to play for them next year, so Skinner was someone they could move for value and open up cap space for other things. They are a budget team so they are not going to waste money on guys who are not important to them.
Isn't Aho a center?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Isn't Aho a center?

No. At least not since he came to the NHL. He draws in for FO's (he has like 150 or so last year), but he's not a center. I think he's LW first, and sometimes goes to the other side. Teravainen too, but he played RW last year because Skinner was there. However I think it'll be Aho and Teravainen on the LW with Svechnikov and Williams on the RW next year. They'll try to split up their offense as much as possible to make up for their lack of centers. Although if they could only get a top 6 center to pair with Staal and have Rask on the 3rd line, they'd make the playoffs assuming their goalies can hold up.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Not sure if that gives me too much confidence for resigning him after this year if I was a sens fan.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
The mental gymnastics going on in Sensland to justify this signing are astonishing.

“They’re doing it because Melnyk is selling the team!!!”

“They’re doing it so that they don’t have to rush at a long term deal and can sign one after January 1st”

Reality is that Stone probably doesn’t want to be there longer than he has to

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
At that AAV, I would have thought that Ottawa could have bought a year or two into STone's free agency years.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Some dark times ahead in Ottawa at this rate. Duchene, Karlsson, Stone, and basically half their team are UFAs next year. And no first round pick this season....They better hope the crazy theories about the owner selling are true. That's about the only hope they've got to keep half those guys.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the stupidest thing Dorion did was drafting this year. he should have given Sakic that pick this year because i don't see exactly how this work well for Ottawa at all.

Reactions: kb

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Max Domi says Montreal Canadiens have 'pieces it takes to win' | CBC Sports

"It's going to be tough. But, obviously, no doubt in my mind that we can do it. And, I mean, when you've got a goalie like Carey Price, guys like Shea Weber, [Max] Pacioretty, [Brendan] Gallagher, Jonathan Drouin, the list goes on of all these outstanding hockey players, you have the pieces it takes to win and it's just a matter of making it all work. I'm excited to fit in whatever way I'm asked to and make it work, so it's going to be a great year."

Win what Max? The draft lottery?

HC7

May 2, 2018
Not sure how arbitration works but it wouldn't surprise me if we offered Ceci a 1 year deal if the Sens walked away.

Even a mid to late pick if they match. No way they're trying to pay him.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa is in a no-win situation. If they sell at the deadline to avoid losing Duchene, Karlsson, and Stone for nothing, they'll improve Colorado's pick. Why would any of the 3 sign an extension there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad