Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
i find it very interesting how patches is like he's not relinquishing the captaincy in Montreal.
um. dude. you kinda don't have a choice. if the Coach/GM tells you you aren't it, takes the C off your jersey and puts it on someone else... that's it.

this really isn't the hill i'd die on. quite frankly.

I dont think they'd do it now thats he publically said he wont give it up. Too much of a kerfuffle in a very traditionalist organization.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I dont think they'd do it now thats he publically said he wont give it up. Too much of a kerfuffle in a very traditionalist organization.

Like that would stop Bergevin?
I just think this is so ugly. they don't want him, and I quite frankly don't see Montreal as being good next season and they said more than once they don't want him anymore. so even with his agent all "he'll sign with him TODAY!" twitter ranting, what is he gonna do July 1st? hope that Bergevin changes his mind? Pray that Molson fired Bergevin and the new guy wants him?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
i find it very interesting how patches is like he's not relinquishing the captaincy in Montreal.
um. dude. you kinda don't have a choice. if the Coach/GM tells you you aren't it, takes the C off your jersey and puts it on someone else... that's it.

this really isn't the hill i'd die on. quite frankly.

I think he’s trying to accelerate his departure from the organization.

The Habs are a tire fire that is going to burn ever more fiercely until they do a full year down of staff and players

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think it's fine for him to make a semi-public stance on his position in all this. Who knows if he's going to be in Montreal for season's start, but if he is not a bad idea to make sure the fans know where he stands on all this.

Not that I have a clue what Montreal is doing. There are logical reasons to avoid locking Patches up at this point in his career for big money. But they've already stuck their feet into the cement boots with Price and Weber at long term big money. Does burning the bridges with your current captain help much of anything? Oh good they have one less boat anchor attached. That'll save them.

Reactions: nuck

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Looking at the Habs and even the Canucks, just so glad the Leafs finally have a sound MGT that everyone is on the same page from top to bottom.
Fans often think owners are stupid and does not know what they are doing....but in reality all NHL owners are multi millionaires who runs very successful businesses who just can’t be stupid nor dumb.
I believe not all owners want to win the Cup but they all would like to make money. Playoffs hockey not only means at least two more home games but it usually means sell out crowds throughout the season. That’s something team owners want.
I feel for guys like Linden but at the end of the day, not all owners can go through a true rebuild bc it usually means pumping money into the team instead of getting money.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Dumping patches while desperately trying to win with aging Weber and Price makes zero sense

Think they believe Patch can bring them someone younger or at the very least a solid C.

I don’t feel sorry for the Habs due to our rivalry but they are really stuck in a very bad situation unless Price bails them out every night. I am surprised they didn’t even attempt to sign Bozak or Statsney, 2Cs that could help them.

Reactions: Menzinger

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Oof, that's not good for Vegas. I believe Schmidt didn't purposely do it but he's still got to pay the punishment.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Got you covered.

Somehow this news reminded me of Marco Borreillo, a striker for Milan at that time, who got suspended for testing banned substance but his excuse was those were medications for the STD his gf gave him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Could explain his monumental rise though. Not many players can go from a good bottom pairing defenseman in a limited offensive role for 4 seasons to possible legit top pairing guy in one season just like that. Especially not ones that teams would let go of in an expansion draft like Washington did (unless they were completely blind and stupid enough not to give him more opportunities in his time there; it's not like they had amazing guys ahead of him or anything).

Man what if it came out that their entire team did it and that's why they were a super team who constantly outworked their opponents... I definitely would not be mad, but I do not know if I should be sad for Vegas and their fans, or die laughing. That be like the script of a really bad sports movie, where the entire movie is about a miracle season and then you just find out they all did PED's. At least it would be somewhat different.

Reactions: cookie

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Could explain his monumental rise though. Not many players can go from a good bottom pairing defenseman in a limited offensive role for 4 seasons to possible legit top pairing guy in one season just like that. Especially not ones that teams would let go of in an expansion draft like Washington did (unless they were completely blind and stupid enough not to give him more opportunities in his time there; it's not like they had amazing guys ahead of him or anything).

Man what if it came out that their entire team did it and that's why they were a super team who constantly outworked their opponents... I definitely would not be mad, but I do not know if I should be sad for Vegas and their fans, or die laughing. That be like the script of a really bad sports movie, where the entire movie is about a miracle season and then you just find out they all did PED's. At least it would be somewhat different.

Schmidt was actually a really good player for the Caps but Trotz preferred others over him. Caps really wanted to keep him and tried to get McPhee to take Grubauer over Schmidt but McPhee was too wise.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Great move IMO. Next 3 years we should see 70-80 pts and the next two years when he drops off he still will be a better marleau. Pretty good deal for all sides imo.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not the worst deal for the Jets IMO. They were in a tough spot with that one.

I have no doubts it will could badly by the 3rd year of that deal though

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I never thought Winnipeg would be able to sign Wheeler. But I also wouldn't thought they'd give a 33 year old 5 years at 8.25M.

I think a good comparison for Wheeler is Scott Hartnell. Look at what has happened to Hartnell north of 35 years of age.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I never thought Winnipeg would be able to sign Wheeler. But I also wouldn't thought they'd give a 33 year old 5 years at 8.25M.

I think a good comparison for Wheeler is Scott Hartnell. Look at what has happened to Hartnell north of 35 years of age.
Fitness will play a big part.
The knock on Hartnell was he didn’t have much interest in it.
Aging + lack of fitness comit will sink you.
Marleau + fitness = still going.
Now obviously some decline fast but not always the case. You have to know your player well.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

What else is Winnipeg supposed to do (or any other team in a similar situation)? You're not just going to let your captain and 90-point producer play out the season heading into UFA, nor are you going to get him for a 3-year deal unless it is at a ridiculous rate in which he'd earn relatively the same over the shorter period because there'd be other teams offering him 5+ years next summer.

Bite the bullet and go for a Cup while he still is a premier player, yet structure the contract so that the real dollars is lower yet the cap hit is higher and attractive to a team looking to reach the floor but not willing to take on a huge salary.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not the worst deal for the Jets IMO. They were in a tough spot with that one.

I have no doubts it will could badly by the 3rd year of that deal though
I think he'll be fine and the Jets got themselves a good deal.
Didn't he start his career late? He will have less mileage on him than some.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
What else is Winnipeg supposed to do (or any other team in a similar situation)? You're not just going to let your captain and 90-point producer play out the season heading into UFA, nor are you going to get him for a 3-year deal unless it is at a ridiculous rate in which he'd earn relatively the same over the shorter period because there'd be other teams offering him 5+ years next summer.

Bite the bullet and go for a Cup while he still is a premier player, yet structure the contract so that the real dollars is lower yet the cap hit is higher and attractive to a team looking to reach the floor but not willing to take on a huge salary.

What they used to do.. let these guys go and have him be another teams' problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad