Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
That’s gross
He’s a good solid d but that is wrong.
Glad the leafs won’t be in on any of those.
Gotta save all the cash for jt

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
That’s gross
He’s a good solid d but that is wrong.
Glad the leafs won’t be in on any of those.
Gotta save all the cash for jt

I wouldn't waste my money on JT if you think this isn't worth it because his deal will be A LOT worse than this one, especially if he leaves the Isles.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Maybe so but I've always found him a tad overrated.
Really?
He puts up numbers on every team he’s been on. I’ll agree he’s not the best skater but puck possession and drive are next level.
Perfect vet to add imo
As he ages and slows he could plat the wing for a decade and retire into the leaf history

I would have a different opinion if we had to lose players in a trade for him but as a ufa you have to try.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Really?
He puts up numbers on every team he’s been on. I’ll agree he’s not the best skater but puck possession and drive are next level.
Perfect vet to add imo
As he ages and slows he could plat the wing for a decade and retire into the leaf history

I would have a different opinion if we had to lose players in a trade for him but as a ufa you have to try.

I agree with trying. However, when looking beyond this season with Marner, Matthews, etc to sign I wouldn't want to spend $11M+ AAV on Tavares.

Either way, I still feel he stays with Isles.

Reactions: desperateblue

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I agree with trying. However, when looking beyond this season with Marner, Matthews, etc to sign I wouldn't want to spend $11M+ AAV on Tavares.

Either way, I still feel he stays with Isles.
No I wouldn’t offer 11
10 x 7 plus 5-10 in endorsements
If he takes it great if he doesn’t oh well we tried

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Who is paying these endorsements?
Canadian tire
Home Depot
Rona
Source for sports
Pro hockey life
I could go on all day.
During the stammer pitch they had sponsors all lined up. Sure the same will be available.
The ownership group has their hands in a lot of pies

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Canadian tire
Home Depot
Rona
Source for sports
Pro hockey life
I could go on all day.
During the stammer pitch they had sponsors all lined up. Sure the same will be available.

I understand what you’re thinking, but The Leafs can’t circumvent the cap and have anything to do with this type of contract negotiation.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Pretty sure with Brandon Pridham, the Leafs will know exactly what they can and cannot get away with. It's not like the Leafs are asking these sponsors to pay for his salary. Whether outside companies offer him free bagels or millions in endorsements is outside of his contract negotiations. These endorsements could make a huge impact on his income. Look at Joe Sakic in Quebec... nothing! Eric Lindros made more playing one year in Philly then he would of playing two in Quebec.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Canadian tire
Home Depot
Rona
Source for sports
Pro hockey life
I could go on all day.

For the umpteenth time: People are really overvaluing how much endorsement deals are worth in the NHL.

Only Ovechkin and Sid make 5m/year, Stamkos around 2m, and less than 10 players in the entire league make more than 1m/year (without looking it up again I believe it was only 6 including the 3 I mentioned).

While Toronto players are much more likely to get deals anywhere else in Canada, you have to also realize that they are less likely to pay big endorsement deals than the US.

If Tavares came here, he would be extremely lucky to get a multi-million dollar endorsement deal. Especially since we have 4 other players that are extremely marketable right now.

The numbers never came out for Stamkos possible deals, but I bet they were in the 1-3m range.

Edit:I am also going to add, because of your last line, that any endorsement deals made through partner companies of rogers/bell (or any thry have a piece of the pie with) are probably illegal and cant make any significant endorsement offers.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
For the umpteenth time: People are really overvaluing how much endorsement deals are worth in the NHL.

Only Ovechkin and Sid make 5m/year, Stamkos around 2m, and less than 10 players in the entire league make more than 1m/year (without looking it up again I believe it was only 6 including the 3 I mentioned).

While Toronto players are much more likely to get deals anywhere else in Canada, you have to also realize that they are less likely to pay big endorsement deals than the US.

If Tavares came here, he would be extremely lucky to get a multi-million dollar endorsement deal. Especially since we have 4 other players that are extremely marketable right now.

The numbers never came out for Stamkos possible deals, but I bet they were in the 1-3m range.

Edit:I am also going to add, because of your last line, that any endorsement deals made through partner companies of rogers/bell (or any thry have a piece of the pie with) are probably illegal and cant make any significant endorsement offers.
I bet that tie Domi has made more of his endorsements post career then he made playing.
I understand everyone thinking that it’s canada so there isn’t huge money but it’s certainly going to be much more endorsement offers then he would be getting on the nyi

And I may have read it wrong but I’m pretty sure Canadian tire was in the room pitching to stammer. So not sure how the rules work with partner companies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With JVR's departure I'm not opposed to having a look at Nash. But the cost/term and overall interest probably would see him go elsewhere

I wouldn't strive to get him but I would investigate.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
With JVR's departure I'm not opposed to having a look at Nash. But the cost/term and overall interest probably would see him go elsewhere

I wouldn't strive to get him but I would investigate.

What would you pay? He's a tricky one, because his production isn't anywhere near what it used to be but he definitely brings a solid 2 way game.

Id happily give him 2/3x3m but i expect that would be well below what he's asking

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Taking a look down through whats available in UFA its slim pickings

What are people's thoughts on the following in terms of style of play etc;

- Joe Morrow
- John Moore
- Thomas Hickey
- Christian Folin
- Calvin Dehaan

All are a good age for defensemen ready to take that next step, none are gonna be superstars but may give us an option that fits more with our style

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm not sure what his possession metrics are but I can see us looking at Riley Nash to replace Bozak. He's 29, decent sized, right shot center, who can move up and down the line up. I wish he was better on faceoffs, but he is coming off his best points season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to TSN's Frank Seravalli, John Moore has rocketed toward the top of the class as a free agent in demand. Calvin De Haan is also a hot commodity, fielding calls from as many as 10 teams, despite playing just 33 games last season due to injury.

https://www.tsn.ca/free-agent-frenzy-moore-s-stock-rising-in-thin-d-market-1.1123179
He may not have the same name recognition as Green or Johnson, but John Moore has rocketed toward the top of the class as a free agent in demand.

The Moore camp has fielded interest from more than a dozen NHL teams and has already conducted interviews with eight different clubs.

Moore, 27, has seen his stock rise considerably as the prototypical “modern” mobile defenceman who can join the rush in today’s NHL while also remaining responsible in his own end.
Former Islander Calvin De Haan (No. 20) is also a hot commodity, fielding calls from as many as 10 teams, despite playing just 33 games last season due to injury. He can skate, so he’ll be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad