Around the League Thread | Summer Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Does that help a G to play behind aD he’s not familiar with?
Why not? Pro games are beneficial and Silovs doesn’t have a lot of experience.

Farm team in Abby is for the bottom end of the roster like 11-14 F or your 6-8 D. What I’d call your non prospects.

Shuffling a G not a great idea.
I wouldn’t do it for a full season but to get him an extra 10-15 games in the first half instead of sitting on the bench in Vancouver, why not? It’s not going to ruin him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1693100453201.gif

classic

f*** the bruins

Reactions: andora

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why not? Pro games are beneficial and Silovs doesn’t have a lot of experience.

I wouldn’t do it for a full season but to get him an extra 10-15 games in the first half instead of sitting on the bench in Vancouver, why not? It’s not going to ruin him.
We have been in the era of AHL teams being located close to NHL teams for a while now. The Eastern conference teams have had that benefit for many many years. Cali teams around like 5 years ago, and even the remaining western clubs like Dallas with Austin and Colordo in state.

Can't say I've seen a team do that with a goalie prospect that they have high hopes, to shuffle him up and down from the A.

Personally, not a fan of yoyo'ing prospects up and down. If you wish to give them a taste, fine, but they need to be able to actually play in the NHL when you call them back up after that taste to see what the speed, skill, intensity, etc. is needed to play and succeed at the NHL level.

Reactions: wetcoast

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Saros, Korisalo, Merzlekins…..

The kid has to play though. He needs to get 50 games in by hook or by crook.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
We have been in the era of AHL teams being located close to NHL teams for a while now. The Eastern conference teams have had that benefit for many many years. Cali teams around like 5 years ago, and even the remaining western clubs like Dallas with Austin and Colordo in state.

Can't say I've seen a team do that with a goalie prospect that they have high hopes, to shuffle him up and down from the A.

Personally, not a fan of yoyo'ing prospects up and down. If you wish to give them a taste, fine, but they need to be able to actually play in the NHL when you call them back up after that taste to see what the speed, skill, intensity, etc. is needed to play and succeed at the NHL level.
I’m not talking about calling up Silovs up to sit on the bench, I’m talking about calling him up to play a game for Vancouver on Friday night and a game for Abbotsford on a Saturday night rather than have him sit on the bench in Vancouver for 60+ games or have the likes of Spencer Martin play more than 5 games in the NHL. Silovs doesn’t need to “learn a system” like most defensemen or forwards, he needs to stop pucks like he showed he was fully capable at the NHL level last year. He would just likely benefit from playing 50 games at the NHL/AHL level combined then 20-25 at the NHL level alone next year.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

You are not thinking like a braintrust that absolutely is not allowed to fail this season. If Silovs is their second best goaltender in the organization than he is the backup, development plan be damned. Unless Ian Clarke throws his weight around and he has the same clout with this management group as the last, Silovs is your backup if they judge him to be even one standings point better than Spencer Martin.

Reactions: bossram

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You are not thinking like a braintrust that absolutely is not allowed to fail this season. If Silovs is their second best goaltender in the organization than he is the backup, development plan be damned. Unless Ian Clarke throws his weight around and he has the same clout with this management group as the last, Silovs is your backup if they judge him to be even one standings point better than Spencer Martin.
If Silovs is deemed good enough to get 1/3 of the starts so around 27/28 to give Demko only 54/55 starts, then he should be the full time backup.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Crazy to me that LA is going into the season with that goaltending. Lots of question marks.

Like any of their top 3 on the depth chart could surprise but it could also just as well be a huge disaster. Bodes well for the Canucks though.

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Crazy to me that LA is going into the season with that goaltending. Lots of question marks.

Like any of their top 3 on the depth chart could surprise but it could also just as well be a huge disaster. Bodes well for the Canucks though.

What I wrote about them in another thread

I am really down on the Kings. While they certainly added a great talent in Dubois, but gave up quite a bit of scoring depth to do it, and retained Gavrikov. The main problem is their goaltending tandem of Copley and Talbot is extremely suspect. The line-up is strong but if that goaltending goes the way I think, they may end up treading water until they can come up with a better solution.

They haven't been a great offensive season the last couple of years and I don't see Dubois being that big an upgrade on Iafallo and Vilardi combined.

Reactions: rypper

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kings goaltending doesn't cut it...Clark isnt ready...Byfield continues to not develop...Kopitar/Doughty regress with age.

One can hope.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Does seem odd, but they were in a playoff position before they acquired Korpisalo at the deadline, riding Quick/Petersen/Copley and their sub-.890 SV%.

They probably figure they can do the same thing with Copley/Talbot/Rittich. Then ship it for Hellebuyck at the deadline.

They've truly embraced the "goaltending is voodoo" philosophy.

Kings goaltending doesn't cut it...Clark isnt ready...Byfield continues to not develop...Kopitar/Doughty regress with age.

One can hope.
They had bad goaltending before they acquired Korpisalo and were already in a playoff position.

I would expect Kopitar to fall off at some point, but Byfield did make strides last year, and Blake is probably projecting him to continue to improve.

Doughty looked his age to me in the playoffs. I expect Gavrikov-Roy will play more of the actual tough minutes.

What I wrote about them in another thread

I am really down on the Kings. While they certainly added a great talent in Dubois, but gave up quite a bit of scoring depth to do it, and retained Gavrikov. The main problem is their goaltending tandem of Copley and Talbot is extremely suspect. The line-up is strong but if that goaltending goes the way I think, they may end up treading water until they can come up with a better solution.

They haven't been a great offensive season the last couple of years and I don't see Dubois being that big an upgrade on Iafallo and Vilardi combined.
I kinda disagree - see above replies. Their goaltending was already terrible, so nothing really changed there.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
When was the last time a team was able to meaningfully improve goaltending mid-season? Roloson? Reason to be skeptical of LA's strategy.

Korpisalo was a big improvement. Lehner for the Golden Knights but he only played 3 regular season games for them. Fleury doesn't really count since he didn't drastically improve the Wild's goaltending but allowed them to have an effective tandem. It's not something that works very often and is even harder now with how tight everyone is to the cap.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yea I've got the kings easily top 3 in division, Copley talbot should be "fine", PLD Gavrikov adds alot, and I dont think Byfield has it sell high while you can.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Korpisalo was a big improvement. Lehner for the Golden Knights but he only played 3 regular season games for them. Fleury doesn't really count since he didn't drastically improve the Wild's goaltending but allowed them to have an effective tandem. It's not something that works very often and is even harder now with how tight everyone is to the cap.

Korpisalo ate shit in the postseason though. Wouldn't call him an improvement at all.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
to me, la's position in the standings is contingent on doughty not falling off. wouldn't be surprised to see them finish anywhere between 4-10 in the conference.

vegas, edmonton and dallas feel like the top teams in the west, with the next 5 as any combo of us, la, calgary, seattle, colorado, winnipeg, minnesota. weird things happen every year so maybe the jets collapse and arizona takes a step forward or something, but that's generally where i see it

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think you guys are out of your mind to doubt the Kings. They are easily the best team in the Pacific top to bottom going in to next season and will be battling with the Oilers to win the division.
In last year’s playoffs it seemed that the Oilers got through the Kings a lot easier than they did the year before.

….and Vegas was clearly a notch above the Oilers.

I think the Canucks/Kraken have narrowed the gap between themselves and the Kings.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Many teams seem to be taking chances on cheap goaltenders rather than trying to trade or commit term and salary for a legit #1. Carolina seems to have a 1A, 1B and 1C thing going on...for under 8mil.

Goaltending is a total crapshoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad