Around the League Thread | Summer Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Outrage is the currency of social media, the more outrage the more clicks, engagement and money. There are many studies linking the rise of social media with mental health problems. Correlation isn't always causation and it's easy to oversimplify cause and effect but I think it's real.
Oh its real lol.. i am with you but it isnt just social media. Social media is the main one.. because it is the easiest for people to spout

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think it's pretty clear cut and something that would be easy to define, such as having collected a paychqeue playing in a professional sports league or organization. Yes that means no Ray Ferraro. I don't know about the Rock, but easy enough to lump pro wrestling in there.
I think the regulation actually governs any celebrity including influencers so it is a moot point but for the sake of discussion I disagree with you. I don't see how it is "pretty clear cut."

If the rule is "having collected a paycheque playing in a professional sports league or organization" does that include the CHL? In hockey the CHL is considered an amateur hockey league but the players do collect a "paycheque" and the business model really isn't different from what is considered a professional sports league or organization.

I'm guessing that you aren't aware of Dwayne Johnson's CFL past. I would argue that "professional wrestling" like WWF/WWE is more entertainment than professional sports.

Most of that you don't need to worry about because these are gambling outlets targetting specific sports and will want premier players from those sports for those adds. So Wayne Gretzky, Conor McDavid, yes. Ray Ferraro, no. Dwayne Johnson and Oscar De La Hoya... what they heck would those guys be doing in Canadian provincial gambling adds?

Regardless though it's up to the province of Ontario to define their guidelines for advertisement as they see fit and if there's any issues then that can be brought to the supreme court. Let's just call this 'civics' rather than the forbidden 'p' word.

My understanding is that the regulation bans "the use" of athletes. It doesn't matter if it's a national, international, or Ontario-specific ad. Have you seen Jamie Foxx and Kevin Hart sports gambling ads? I have. I'm sure you're asking what are their ads doing in Canada?

The point is that there are "former athletes" who have gone onto become famous for what they do in their post-athletic careers. Dwayne Johnson is one of the most recognizable actors in the world and is also an investor. I don't think Dwayne Johnson has invested in sports gambling specifically but other former athletes have. If the football leagues (including the XFL) wanted Dwayne Johnson to be part of a sports gambling ad or if he wanted to join his buddy Kevin Hart in a commercial his ad can't be played in Ontario simply because he's an ex-athlete.

But again, I think the regulations extend to "celebrities" so the point is moot but if it's just under the ex-athlete definition I don't think it's as clear cut as you think it is.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
To be fair, we could have anyone in the front office and the fan confidence would be in the bottom 5 after the decade we just had. The PTSD is real.

I didn't care for these polls then and I don't care for these polls now. But some people did like using theses posts to appeal to authority including last year when the Canucks moved up the rankings with new management.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Outrage is the currency of social media, the more outrage the more clicks, engagement and money. There are many studies linking the rise of social media with mental health problems. Correlation isn't always causation and it's easy to oversimplify cause and effect but I think it's real.

It's simply amazing and pathetically sad that a great portion of human endeavors have become mindless pushing of a virtual button which accomplishes zero actual work.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Peters just got hired to be the head coach for the Lethbridge Hurricanes…

Update:

I wonder which "current NHL head coach" reached out to Aliu on Peters behalf. Huska? Babcock? Brind'Amour?

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I wonder which "current NHL head coach" reached out to Aliu on Peters behalf. Huska? Babcock? Brind'Amour?
Thought DeBoer fit the bill pretty well, having coached Kadri in junior and Ward in San Jose. But McLellan is also a possibility given that they coached together for Team Canada. Doubt it's Babcock because I don't think players would have nice things to say about him.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
That poll is next to worthless even as a topic of discussion. It's just barely literate hockey fans giving their hot takes. You might as well interview people on the streets on their opinions on the world's supply of gold reserve.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thought DeBoer fit the bill pretty well, having coached Kadri in junior and Ward in San Jose. But McLellan is also a possibility given that they coached together for Team Canada. Doubt it's Babcock because I don't think players would have nice things to say about him.

In the same vein there’s also Andreé Tourigny.

Reactions: God
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad