Around the League Thread | Summer Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Great succession plan add and the best Centers in the league next to Vegas.
All well and good, but the Kings success still hinges on two aging superstars..Take them out the equation, and things look vastly different.

Danault isnt a spring chicken either.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I have no doubt he's developing...but is he developing into an 'elite' player one would expect taken 2nd OA..?..No, he isnt....Tim Stultze would look pretty good in a Kings uniform.
Ah ok that specific context was left out

I will be interesting to see who becomes the nore effective player when its all said and done not the flashiest

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Ah ok that specific context was left out

I will be interesting to see who becomes the nore effective player when its all said and done not the flashiest
One is already an elite 90 point player in the league, the other had 3 goals in 53 games last season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
LA is a better team than us on paper, I think. PLD I agree is overrated, I'm not sure how much he moves the needle in the grand scheme. The 3 burning questions are with Kopi, Doughty, and between the pipes. And I don't think I'd bet against Kopitar.
Is it betting against Kopitar or just recognizing the risk of relying so much on a 36 and 33 year old.

Reactions: racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Excellent. Hope other provinces follow suit ASAP.

Not a fan of gambling ads but this seems discriminatory and where do you draw the line for "former athletes?" Is Dwayne Johnson a former athlete? Oscar De La Hoya? A lot of former athletes have gone onto something else in their careers. Locally, Ray Ferraro is more well known for being an analyst than a former athlete. Brendan Shanahan might be more recognizable as a Leafs executive in Ontario than a former athlete.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not a fan of gambling ads but this seems discriminatory and where do you draw the line for "former athletes?" Is Dwayne Johnson a former athlete? Oscar De La Hoya? A lot of former athletes have gone onto something else in their careers. Locally, Ray Ferraro is more well known for being an analyst than a former athlete. Brendan Shanahan might be more recognizable as a Leafs executive in Ontario than a former athlete.
I get banning current pros. Not sure why they need to go to former athletes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Pretty much all of Frost's players were. I give him a pass for that. Also his nickname was the Professor.

I don’t think he’s allowed to have that nickname in a hockey setting. Already taken.

Also, apparently David Frost is Wes McCauley’s brother-in-law and goes by Jim McCauley for work reasons. What’s his work?

Frost said that at LHA he was "not coaching, or training or running a hockey school," but had worked with junior and professional players to assist them with using the training equipment. He said his "main business" is in Canada.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don’t think he’s allowed to have that nickname in a hockey setting. Already taken.

Also, apparently David Frost is Wes McCauley’s brother-in-law and goes by Jim McCauley for work reasons. What’s his work?

Frost said that at LHA he was "not coaching, or training or running a hockey school," but had worked with junior and professional players to assist them with using the training equipment. He said his "main business" is in Canada.

That last sentence is just so vague that it's your basic deadbeat shady character line in a movie. f*** David Frost.

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Athletic has an article about front office confidence rankings based on fans' opinions , and your favourite squad is nicely nestled in at 30th.

1. NJD
2. CAR
3. TBL
14. MTL
17. OTT
20. EDM
27. TOR
28. WPG
30.VAN
31. CGY
32. NYI

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would think the CHL would be somewhere to develop HC, like those 40 and under. Peters at 58 seems like he's more of an AHL guy at this point.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think it's pretty clear cut and something that would be easy to define, such as having collected a paychqeue playing in a professional sports league or organization. Yes that means no Ray Ferraro. I don't know about the Rock, but easy enough to lump pro wrestling in there.

Most of that you don't need to worry about because these are gambling outlets targetting specific sports and will want premier players from those sports for those adds. So Wayne Gretzky, Conor McDavid, yes. Ray Ferraro, no. Dwayne Johnson and Oscar De La Hoya... what they heck would those guys be doing in Canadian provincial gambling adds?

Regardless though it's up to the province of Ontario to define their guidelines for advertisement as they see fit and if there's any issues then that can be brought to the supreme court. Let's just call this 'civics' rather than the forbidden 'p' word.

Reactions: Vector

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
The Athletic has an article about front office confidence rankings based on fans' opinions , and your favourite squad is nicely nestled in at 30th.

1. NJD
2. CAR
3. TBL
14. MTL
17. OTT
20. EDM
27. TOR
28. WPG
30.VAN
31. CGY
32. NYI

To be fair, we could have anyone in the front office and the fan confidence would be in the bottom 5 after the decade we just had. The PTSD is real.

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think it's pretty clear cut and something that would be easy to define, such as having collected a paychqeue playing in a professional sports league or organization. Yes that means no Ray Ferraro. I don't know about the Rock, but easy enough to lump pro wrestling in there.

Most of that you don't need to worry about because these are gambling outlets targetting specific sports and will want premier players from those sports for those adds. So Wayne Gretzky, Conor McDavid, yes. Ray Ferraro, no. Dwayne Johnson and Oscar De La Hoya... what they heck would those guys be doing in Canadian provincial gambling adds?

Regardless though it's up to the province of Ontario to define their guidelines for advertisement as they see fit and if there's any issues then that can be brought to the supreme court. Let's just call this 'civics' rather than the forbidden 'p' word.
As someone who follows the gambling space pretty closely, it is quite clear Ontario's gambling regulators have no idea what they're doing.

Reactions: F A N

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Jesus christ modern times are absolutely soaked with subjective judgement, no context opinions and just plain utter noise

Outrage is the currency of social media, the more outrage the more clicks, engagement and money. There are many studies linking the rise of social media with mental health problems. Correlation isn't always causation and it's easy to oversimplify cause and effect but I think it's real.

Reactions: Nick Lang
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad