Around the League Thread | Playoffs Approaching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I care less about supporting Benning, he's not even here.

But the inner nucleus of the core is still excellent to build around:

Pettersson23
Hughes 22
Demko26

I've watched the canucks since the 90s I don't remember having a star in all 3 positions and all 3 in their 20s.

Now having a great nucleus doesn't mean you have a a great team, but its a great start.

I think what the other poster is saying is we have a great nucleus to build around, and what you are saying is we need much more to become a great team and the farm is bare.

Both things can exist at the same time.
Demko was a Gillis regime pick as was most of the rest of that draft year. Benning had 3 weeks as the GM. The only selection of Benning was Virtanen and at that there was dissension, most scouts were holding out for Larkin

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Demko was a Gillis regime pick as was most of the rest of that draft year. Benning had 3 weeks as the GM. The only selection of Benning was Virtanen and at that there was dissension, most scouts were holding out for Larkin

Why does it matter who picked Demko?

do you even understand my post?

C Horvat.....19
D Tanev.......24
G Markstrom......24

Not all "stars" but Tanev was as good defensively as Hughes is offensively. One should be able to build around that.

I think you are strengthening my point, Horvat is not a star player.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I care less about supporting Benning, he's not even here.

But the inner nucleus of the core is still excellent to build around:

Pettersson23
Hughes 22
Demko26

I've watched the canucks since the 90s I don't remember having a star in all 3 positions and all 3 in their 20s.

Now having a great nucleus doesn't mean you have a a great team, but its a great start.

I think what the other poster is saying is we have a great nucleus to build around, and what you are saying is we need much more to become a great team and the farm is bare.

Both things can exist at the same time.
No, Vancouver certainly does not have a great team.

Now, would I take Vancouver's "core-three" over something analogous from LA (e.g. Byfield, Clarke, Petersen)? Yes, obviously. The issue is though the Canucks have an "excellent core to build around", they have absolutely no resources to do any building with. The Canucks are in a position where they have to subtract from their roster just to manage the salary cap. They've had an annual draft pick deficit stretching the entire Benning era. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Meanwhile, LA is already improving, has tons of cap space, tons of prospects, and tons of draft pick capital. And they're using that to add impact players to the roster (e.g. Arvidsson, Fiala) as their core prospects mature.

Vancouver's core is better. But it will be a monumental task for Allvin to actually build a better team at this point.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think you are strengthening my point, Horvat is not a star player.
I never said he was (in fact I stated as much). I merely stated you should be able to build around a guy who at least you can put in a defensive C role/situations (he's not great at it but there's ZERO chance you'd put EP in that role) along with a 24 year old Tanev & Markstrom.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Now, would I take Vancouver's "core-three" over something analogous from LA (e.g. Byfield, Clarke, Petersen)? Yes, obviously. The issue is though the Canucks have an "excellent core to build around", they have absolutely no resources to do any building with. The Canucks are in a position where they have to subtract from their roster just to manage the salary cap. They've had an annual draft pick deficit stretching the entire Benning era. They have one of the worst prospect pools in the league.

Meanwhile, LA is already improving, has tons of cap space, tons of prospects, and tons of draft pick capital. And they're using that to add impact players to the roster (e.g. Arvidsson, Fiala) as their core prospects mature.

Vancouver's core is better. But it will be a monumental task for Allvin to actually build a better team at this point.
This is fair..the Canucks have limited flexibility to improve their roster,and it’s going to be a tough spot to untangle the mess..

However,..It’s a lot harder to obtain star quality players,than it is to get yourself out of a salary cap problem..Imo

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is fair..the Canucks have limited flexibility to improve their roster,and it’s going to be a tough spot to untangle the mess..

However,..It’s a lot harder to obtain star quality players,than it is to get yourself out of a salary cap problem..Imo
Agree with the latter as well. But you often need liquid assets (picks/prospects) to buy your way out of salary cap problems, and again, the Canucks do not have much in the way of pick/prospect capital.

Even if they can juggle their cap situation, that would just leave them with roughly the same calibre of team they have now (more likely, they subtract from the roster to create cap space). And there are no foreseeable reinforcements coming from the prospect pool, and again, they won't have the flexibility to add any star-calibre talent via free agency or trade.

Meanwhile, LA just added a star-calibre player without detracting from the roster. And they have the assets to add more.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Agree with the latter as well. But you often need liquid assets (picks/prospects) to buy your way out of salary cap problems, and again, the Canucks do not have much in the way of pick/prospect capital.

Even if they can juggle their cap situation, that would just leave them with roughly the same calibre of team they have now (more likely, they subtract from the roster to create cap space). And there are no foreseeable reinforcements coming from the prospect pool, and again, they won't have the flexibility to add any star-calibre talent via free agency or trade.

Meanwhile, LA just added a star-calibre player without detracting from the roster. And they have the assets to add more.
7 years of mostly high draft positions (that you automatically get by not making the playoffs) isn't not enough time to accumulate prospects/picks/etc., like LA for example.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

how much capspace does LA have?
I see about 11 million on capfriendly.

And they still need to sign Kempe, Durzi, and others to fill in the roster, you think they still have capspace to add more impact players?

so they added Fiala, but Kopitar (their #1C) and Quick their #1 goalie is 34/36 years old. Meaning their players in key positions most likely regress.

I think LA might still have a better team than Vancouver in the short term but long term they lack high end quality - once Kopitar/quick leaves the game

And while they have quantity, the only center prospect that looks like he can potentially be a #1C is Byfield, all the Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari don't look like they are even close. And personally I doubt Byfield becomes anywhere close to Kopitar.

IMO I don't see LA being a contender anytime soon. I don't get this romanticizing of the LA Kings.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

And they still need to sign Kempe, Durzi, and others to fill in the roster, you think they still have capspace to add more impact players?

so they added Fiala, but Kopitar (their #1C) and Quick their #1 goalie is 34/36 years old. Meaning their players in key positions most likely regress.

I think LA might still have a better team than Vancouver in the short term but long term they lack high end quality - once Kopitar/quick leaves the game

And while they have quantity, the only center prospect that looks like he can potentially be a #1C is Byfield, all the Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari don't look like they are even close. And personally I doubt Byfield becomes anywhere close to Kopitar.

IMO I don't see LA being a contender anytime soon. I don't get this romanticizing of the LA Kings.
Good post..you’ve got to be able to draft and develop star players..Pretty tough to win a championship without them..

Looks like all that available cap space is going to disappear in a hurry as well.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It says $12 mill on capfriendly with a 16 player roster despite them showing 18 players (so try like 6 elc guys) in the main section.

So if it’s 16 guys signed that is 7 players for the 23 man roster that they need to sign. Say $6 mill for 6 guys. Have $6 mill for 1 guy maybe pushing it to $6.5 to $7 mill depending on how inexpensive the other options are.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
It says $12 mill on capfriendly with a 16 player roster despite them showing 18 players (so try like 6 elc guys) in the main section.

So if it’s 16 guys signed that is 7 players for the 23 man roster that they need to sign. Say $6 mill for 6 guys. Have $6 mill for 1 guy maybe pushing it to $6.5 to $7 mill depending on how inexpensive the other options are.
And did you include Kempe?

we were talking about "adding" to the team they had last year.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

Not just the Benning era

it stretches all the way to the Nonnis era. Essentially when Aqualini bought the team

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And did you include Kempe?

we were talking about "adding" to the team they had last year.
Nope forgot that he needed a deal. 35 go’s and 54 points probably nets him around the Fiala 1 year deal of $5.1 mill if it goes arbitration. That would then take LA to $7 mill left for 6 guys. So no big addition unless someone gets moved out.

Cap space can be deceiving if a team has players they need to re-sign. The $20 mil LA had a day or so ago kind of goes to nothing once you consider Kempe, the fiala deal and filling out a roster.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Nope forgot that he needed a deal. 35 go’s and 54 points probably nets him around the Fiala 1 year deal of $5.1 mill if it goes arbitration. That would then take LA to $7 mill left for 6 guys. So no big addition unless someone gets moved out.

Cap space can be deceiving if a team has players they need to re-sign. The $20 mil LA had a day or so ago kind of goes to nothing once you consider Kempe, the fiala deal and filling out a roster.
And I doubt Durzi takes 1 million a year to play hockey. He came in and played on their #1 pp unit and was a key player down the stretch

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah that's an awful pic. Definitely going for the "Danny Devito as the Penguin" vibe.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
50428996-0F16-454D-977D-AC6DA7289669.jpeg

LMFAOOOOO I’m in tears

Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad