Around the League Thread | Playoffs Approaching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I'm looking at the league stat pages and Jesus is scoring inflated this year. I wonder if that's the new trend and we'll only see it continue.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm looking at the league stat pages and Jesus is scoring inflated this year. I wonder if that's the new trend and we'll only see it continue.
One thing that Woodley mentioned a couple weeks ago on the Sat and Dan show was that there have been like well over 100 goalies who have played this season due to Covid and stuff. Not to mention Dmen that have missed games due to Covid as well.
I wouldn’t use this season as a benchmark for the next few years to come. At least not until the end of next season to see if scoring drops or is maintained.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
golden age of talent
The weaker/more variable the talent pool the higher the scoring. Weak players vs weak players = average scoring. Good players vs weak players = extra scoring. The 80s was probably the most diluted period in NHL history.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
VKG now has a higher point % than the Kings. Their remaining schedule isnt that hard either.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The 1970s were far more diluted than the 1980s.
That whole 70s/80s era went from 6 teams to 24 (at one point 2 leagues). Superstars taking on players that would have been career minor leaguers a decade or two earlier. A era when defense from superstars like Mario was considered optional and they didn't take up the option. Why would they when they could just outscore defensive deficiencies. Bottom line were filled with goons because they had to put something there and goons were more exciting than AHL level checking forwards.

Reactions: wetcoast

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That whole 70s/80s era went from 6 teams to 24 (at one point 2 leagues). Superstars taking on players that would have been career minor leaguers a decade or two earlier. A era when defense from superstars like Mario was considered optional and they didn't take up the option. Why would they when they could just outscore defensive deficiencies. Bottom line were filled with goons because they had to put something there and goons were more exciting than AHL level checking forwards.

The '70s were an incredibly diluted cesspool. Rapid expansion + WHA meant a pretty terrible product and careers for players born in the early 1940s were *really* long as a result.

In the 1980s defense/systems play was still terrible but the league held at 21 teams (less than the 18+WHA that existed from 1974), there was an influx of European and American players, and the draft dropped from 20 to 18 which brought a lot of young talent into the league earlier.

The talent pool was *miles* deeper in 1985 than it was in 1975. And - especially with the short shift revolution - the product and pace of the game was miles better, too.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The '70s were an incredibly diluted cesspool. Rapid expansion + WHA meant a pretty terrible product and careers for players born in the early 1940s were *really* long as a result.

In the 1980s defense/systems play was still terrible but the league held at 21 teams (less than the 18+WHA that existed from 1974), there was an influx of European and American players, and the draft dropped from 20 to 18 which brought a lot of young talent into the league earlier.

The talent pool was *miles* deeper in 1985 than it was in 1975. And - especially with the short shift revolution - the product and pace of the game was miles better, too.
Touche

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Bobrovsky just broke the Panthers' win records in a single season by a goalie. Pretty crazy he's 36-6 despite only having slightly above average stats behind the best team in the East. Must feel nice to get paid 10 mil in a no pressure no income tax state to get carried by your lower paid teammates lol

Reactions: geebaan

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bobrovsky just broke the Panthers' win records in a single season by a goalie. Pretty crazy he's 36-6 despite only having slightly above average stats behind the best team in the East. Must feel nice to get paid 10 mil in a no pressure no income tax state to get carried by your lower paid teammates lol

I'm sure all involved are quite pleased with themselves. Some heavy lifting to come very soon. Mediocrity won't be enough at that point. LOL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure all involved are quite pleased with themselves. Some heavy lifting to come very soon. Mediocrity won't be enough at that point. LOL
That's where Bob will get judged. They appear locked into a matchup with the Capitals. FLA has enough of a lead over Toronto in the division and Carolina for tops in the Conf. And Wash has been in the 8 spot since like Xmas or something. They aren't catching Pitt. If that's the matchup, he needs to be solid vs what the Caps have in net.

Reactions: mathonwy

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The weaker/more variable the talent pool the higher the scoring. Weak players vs weak players = average scoring. Good players vs weak players = extra scoring. The 80s was probably the most diluted period in NHL history.
i dont think it's that simple and the 70s had a far more diluted talent pool as the league grew from 6 to 18 teams. The difference between Guy Lafleur and Marcel Dionne vs the 4th line scrub on the Cleveland Barons with the WHA stealing players should have made for a outlandish discrepancy but the style of game wasn't tailored for it and the league frankly did not have that much talent to formulate dynamic duo's trio's and deadly PPs

The 80s had 21 teams but also had a influx of high end talent. The high flying Oilers set the tone for higher paced and attacking style hockey. The game had grown aggressive and skilled players were attacking wthout many good neutral zone and defensive zone teams yet. Bossy Gretzky Savard Messier Coffey Yzerman Gilmour Hull Oates Lafontaine Stastny Hawerchuk Lemieux Francis and then late 80's early 90's Fedorov Selanne Jagr Sakic Bure Leetch Modano Mogilny Sundin this was the era of offense before the neutral zone traps and clutching grabbing overstuffed goalies necessitated change even with a amazing amount of talent that continued to pour into the league in the early 90s.

Since the lockout goaltenders have taken the position and gear to new levels, defenses are all coached in shot blocking, positioning, trapping and skating is on another level. Talent of a 4th liner to the top liners gap has shrunk but the difference as i see it are a influx like the 80s of high end talent.

Since 2013 draft = Matthews Marner McDavid Draisaitl MacKinnon Rantanen Makar Tkachuk Barkov Huberdeau Eichel Pastrnak Aho Barzal Pettersson Hughes bros Kaprizov and the remainders of Stamkos Kucherov Hedman Gaudreau Panarin Ovechkin Backstrom Kane Crosby Malkin Stone Marchand still playing at high levels has made for a golden age of hockey

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad