Around the League Thread | Playoffs Approaching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Not really. They used it to trade up to get Faber. They flipped two picks to move up to get him, one of them being the Canucks pick.

Who Detroit used to pick Theodor Niederbach, who's a very good prospect.

Thanks Jim!

Dim keeps on giving doesn’t he….lol

Man I hope he doesn’t end up giving even more….

Like guenther becoming the next rantanen

And the 2nd in the OEL deal ends up being the superstar D partner Hughes needs.

Please no. It might happen though lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubbles

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
one thing i thought about was how total gillis' entire vision of the organization was. he was too slow to fix the scouting and the player development staffs, because they were already in place and he wanted to see what he had. but that's also because he put so much work into building all the other stuff. not saying it wasn't a mistake not to address scouting and development staff sooner, but there is context for it and there was a logic to where his attention and priorities were aimed. like, he didn't run out of time chasing oliver ekman-larsson.

i think about tryamkin. that would never ever have happened under gillis. on his way out, tryamkin fired shots about the city and how he and his gf never felt at home or comfortable. gillis would have had an infrastructure to welcome them to the city.

when tryamkin complained about routinely walking by drug users in their neighbourhood, you have to ask: who told him it was a good idea to live that close to the DTES? from the context clues in the interview he gave, it's obvious that he wanted to live near the arena and chose to rent something in the towers near international village. but that also means there was no one on team staff to check in on this prized teenage rookie who doesn't speak english well and ask, hey where are you planning to live? and then go, no no, you want to live a little farther west, a little farther south. let's set you up with something nice in yaletown.

that person also would have set tryamkin and gf up with people in the russian community, given them a network, and also make sure his gf had a friend who was a gf or wife of an older player. in the absence of that, in what can be a fairly depressing city where it always rains, you have a miserable, alienated, and probably shell shocked young player that peaced out at the first opportunity.

those are just a little things, but the result is we lost a potentially good player. when aqua/benning/weisbrod slashed staff these are the considerations that fall by the wayside. just like there was no one to push a big red button when gaudette tested positive to make sure practice ended at that exact moment and make sure nobody was in contact with anybody for the next seven or whatever days.
Yea how they handle their finance makes no sense. They are happy to give Dorsett like $10m and Beagle $12m, but not a few grand to hire an assistance for Tram for finding a good place to live and make him feel less alone? The amount of wasted money on the roster is staggering, but not a few bucks to help transition a young player coming from a different country? Its like buying a Ferrari at full price, but cheap out on regular gas and oil change at Jiffy Lube. No problem splurging on the big amounts but penny pinch on the small number? Makes no sense.
It must be a Canucks-Russian players thing because I remember Bure said he wasn't treated very well with his whole transition either. They made him pay his own transfer fee, told him to fly to LA and didn't make contact with him for days. This is the early days of Russian players coming over, they couldn't welcome him at the airport and take away some anxiety or uncertainty? And this is your franchise savior and prized prospect you are treating this way? Way to show the players that they are valued and important...

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I was so pissed off that year too, Niederbach was a sleeper pick but we didn't have picks because Jimbo traded it.

And if Tyler Madden makes the team next year....:banghead:

This year yotes are probably getting someone good with the OEL 2nd too lol while we twiddle our thumbs waiting for the 3rd round. Or do we even have a 3rd? Dim handed too many out like candy and I don’t even know how many or I should say how little picks we have right now. 😂

Reactions: quat and Bubbles

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yup I was totally wrong there.

There were involved in 20 goals together but Fiala’s main linemate at ES was Frederick Gaudreau which makes his production seriously impressive.
Fiala also didn't get near as much PP1 time as he should, and will in LA.

I think Blake made off like a ole timey Bandito.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
one thing i thought about was how total gillis' entire vision of the organization was. he was too slow to fix the scouting and the player development staffs, because they were already in place and he wanted to see what he had. but that's also because he put so much work into building all the other stuff. not saying it wasn't a mistake not to address scouting and development staff sooner, but there is context for it and there was a logic to where his attention and priorities were aimed. like, he didn't run out of time chasing oliver ekman-larsson.

i think about tryamkin. that would never ever have happened under gillis. on his way out, tryamkin fired shots about the city and how he and his gf never felt at home or comfortable. gillis would have had an infrastructure to welcome them to the city.

when tryamkin complained about routinely walking by drug users in their neighbourhood, you have to ask: who told him it was a good idea to live that close to the DTES? from the context clues in the interview he gave, it's obvious that he wanted to live near the arena and chose to rent something in the towers near international village. but that also means there was no one on team staff to check in on this prized teenage rookie who doesn't speak english well and ask, hey where are you planning to live? and then go, no no, you want to live a little farther west, a little farther south. let's set you up with something nice in yaletown.

that person also would have set tryamkin and gf up with people in the russian community, given them a network, and also make sure his gf had a friend who was a gf or wife of an older player. in the absence of that, in what can be a fairly depressing city where it always rains, you have a miserable, alienated, and probably shell shocked young player that peaced out at the first opportunity.

those are just a little things, but the result is we lost a potentially good player. when aqua/benning/weisbrod slashed staff these are the considerations that fall by the wayside. just like there was no one to push a big red button when gaudette tested positive to make sure practice ended at that exact moment and make sure nobody was in contact with anybody for the next seven or whatever days.

Not sure if Gillis had a dedicated person for that job, but yeah I agree it wouldn't have happened under him.

I'm fairly certain he read the book Soccernomics, where it describes European teams spending millions on a player, but essentially left everything else to the player. Like Chelsea, who just put Drogba in a hotel and didn't help his kids get into a school. Or Man U who bought an 18-year old Rooney and just put in a hotel room.

Than you have the other end of the spectrum with City getting De Bruyne. Within 3 hours of landing in Manchester, he had a house, car, bank account, phone cards. And someone on call that speaks his language to get anything.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure if Gillis had a dedicated person for that job, but yeah I agree it wouldn't have happened under him.

I'm fairly certain he read the book Soccernomics, where it describes European teams spending millions on a player, but essentially left everything else to the player. Like Chelsea, who just put Drogba in a hotel and didn't help his kids get into a school. Or Man U who bought an 18-year old Rooney and just put in a hotel room.

Than you have the other end of the spectrum with City getting De Bruyne. Within 3 hours of landing in Manchester, he had a house, car, bank account, phone cards. And someone on call that speaks his language to get anything.
I get doing that for young players. Ufas are old enough and have been around the block to handle most of that themselves.

Reactions: zan

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Seems a bit light given that an extension was in place but not a bad deal.

LA needs to trade some of their forward prospects. There isn't time and space to develop them all, if they don't deal them we're going to see lots of busts and underperformers.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
From the reports we’ve heard it doesn’t seem like LA was ever all that interested in Boeser/Garland. Seems like they were just throwing out low ball offers and seeing if they could fleece us in a desperation cap-clearing move. It does sting a bit that they were willing to move Faber and we didn’t find a way to get in on it though.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
From the reports we’ve heard it doesn’t seem like LA was ever all that interested in Boeser/Garland. Seems like they were just throwing out low ball offers and seeing if they could fleece us in a desperation cap-clearing move. It does sting a bit that they were willing to move Faber and we didn’t find a way to get in on it though.

I hope that wasn’t offered for Boeser and we turned it down. I would be pissed. Lol

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I wasnt aware that Boeser was even being shopped...where are these 'reports' from..?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
One thing is for sure about LA—they are looking like a playoff team for sure next year, and probably a contender sooner than later. That's one more thing to think about as Canucks management decides how deep of a rebuild or retool to commit to.

It's not just building a team that will get past Colorado or Tampa, it's about building a team that will be able to beat teams like LA in one-two-three years time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Isn’t there some rumours that Faber wanted to use the NCAA loophole and sign in Minnesota anyway?

I could see that as a reason why we didn’t trade for him
Dude is a sophomore. The better he is the more unlikely he would pass up hitting contract 2 and getting paid. This was the final year for Fox on his elc. Made the max with bonuses of like $3.3 mill vs the $9 mill on his next deal.
Not that Faber is expected to be as good.

What is the difference between what you get on your second contract vs what you can make on an elc with bonuses realistically? Hughes would have maxed out on bonuses at $3.3 mill this year if Michigan had advanced to the frozen 4 finals and this never burned his first year elc vs the $7.7 he got this season. So over $4.3 mill difference.

If Faber is solid but not amazing it would probably be maybe a $2 mill difference.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
One thing is for sure about LA—they are looking like a playoff team for sure next year, and probably a contender sooner than later. That's one more thing to think about as Canucks management decides how deep of a rebuild or retool to commit to.

It's not just building a team that will get past Colorado or Tampa, it's about building a team that will be able to beat teams like LA in one-two-three years time.
Fiala is a good addition, but maybe one thing you should take into account..The Kings were carried by Kopitar, Arvidsson, Doughty, Danault, Quick last season...All of these players are older than JT Miller.

Just sayin.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Fiala is a good addition, but maybe one thing you should take into account..The Kings were carried by Kopitar, Arvidsson, Doughty, Danault, Quick last season...All of these players are older than JT Miller.

Just sayin.

arvidsson is a few weeks younger than miller, danault is only a couple weeks older. the other three are future hall of famers that the kings somehow impossibly managed to rebuild around. kempe, moore and iafallo all had just as much impact, and those guys are younger than miller. and none of those guys are even a part of their actual core going forward

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
arvidsson is a few weeks younger than miller, danault is only a couple weeks older. the other three are future hall of famers that the kings somehow impossibly managed to rebuild around. kempe, moore and iafallo all had just as much impact, and those guys are younger than miller. and none of those guys are even a part of their actual core going forward
I would also say the success this year was very much systems based with complete team buy in. It certainly wasn't riding goaltending because the goaltending overall wasn't great. They also have 5 D-men who played over 50 games last year that are 27 years old and under (3 of them 23 and under). They need some upper end talent influx moving forward and Fiala helps that. So to will the continued development of a deep farm system that continues to be ranked as the best in the league.

Reactions: vancityluongo

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I get doing that for young players. Ufas are old enough and have been around the block to handle most of that themselves.
Sure but you don't gain a good reputation by leaving people in the dark. It's part of a good welcome system - your employees should feel wanted. Literally the least you could do is set up HR to handle stuff like this. It's a good sign that Kuzmenko signed with us, and I hope that continues, because word gets out in the league with agents and players about how you get treated. The Canucks need to stand out above the rest.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Kempe (25),Moore (27),Iaffalo (29 this year) ...not spring chickens..The team is being completely carried by players 27 and older.

I think Brandt Clarke will be good on D, but in general, if they have finished their 'model'rebuild..nobody is jumping off the page IMO.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would also say the success this year was very much systems based with complete team buy in. It certainly wasn't riding goaltending because the goaltending overall wasn't great. They also have 5 D-men who played over 50 games last year that are 27 years old and under (3 of them 23 and under). They need some upper end talent influx moving forward and Fiala helps that. So to will the continued development of a deep farm system that continues to be ranked as the best in the league.
Kings have good pieces but so far not a great young piece. Byfield is the key guy for them. Has the potential to replace Kopitar‘s offence but not his Defence.

Vilardi with his back issues and going from the nhl during Covid year back to the A in his 5th year and final elc year since being drafted is a bad sign. Turcotte, big year for him this upcoming season in 22-23. Looking for a full year in LA roster and say a half a ppg pace would be a fair expectation for him.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad