Around the League Thread | Playoffs Approaching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Jets should just purge their assets while they still have value and rebuild.
Feels like they need new management to do just that.
They have to go the buffalo method and focus on players that want to be there while upgrading basically everything to he as nice as possible to convince others to stay.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jets should just purge their assets while they still have value and rebuild.
Their assets are a long list
Helly one of the top 8 goalies in the nhl. 29 and Under contract until 2024.
Wheeler 35 under contract until 2024. Productive winger but Concerns about his leadership
Scheiffle a 1C. Also rumours about his leadership and locker room standing. Under contract until 2024.
PLD - 24 and rfa. Has expressed desire to hit ufa in 2 years in 2024.
Ehlers is 26 signed for 3 more years until 2025 Top 6 winger
Connor is 25 signed for 4 more years until 2026.
Morrissey top 4 D. 27 and signed until 2028.

Guess is that they move Wheeler. Maybe Scheiffle. Get the room cleaned up first. On the clock with guys hitting ufa in 2024

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
So anti owner's
He fired you from your job right?
Or is it you just hate the hierarchy, the establishment :D

I hate everything

Ever since the Aqualini's have taken control of the team we have had the least draft picks from round 1-3. Worse then Pit, SJ, Detroit, Anaheim, Capitals, TBL etc.

I dont disagree with trading picks, but its no surprise that over the years are prospects pools have largely been trash. It catches up to you

Reactions: mathonwy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Oh is he any good? And who the F is the Montgomery guy the bruins just fired Cassidy for?

Fired from the Stars, Bowness took over for him, for being an alcoholic. Spent the last two years as an assistant with the Blues.

He’s highly thought of but his sample size at the NHL level is very small.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This is the lamest July 1st ever
F0B1A61D-54F3-42AE-91AE-38DC46279872.jpeg

I have had better…

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Yep was on the connector. Motor made some noises, was looking for a place to pull over, pulled over, shit it off, ten seconds later boom.
That could have been so much worse! Replacing a rad is no big deal compared to a seized or warped head. Whew. Sure it sucks more than no problems at all, but that pretty amazing timing.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
GMCs and their electrical and coolant gremlins, this is why I drive Dodges

giphy.gif

Edit: a Nissan? The FCA of Japan

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
how much capspace does LA have?
I see about 11 million on capfriendly.

And they still need to sign Kempe, Durzi, and others to fill in the roster, you think they still have capspace to add more impact players?

so they added Fiala, but Kopitar (their #1C) and Quick their #1 goalie is 34/36 years old. Meaning their players in key positions most likely regress.

I think LA might still have a better team than Vancouver in the short term but long term they lack high end quality - once Kopitar/quick leaves the game

And while they have quantity, the only center prospect that looks like he can potentially be a #1C is Byfield, all the Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari don't look like they are even close. And personally I doubt Byfield becomes anywhere close to Kopitar.

IMO I don't see LA being a contender anytime soon. I don't get this romanticizing of the LA Kings.
I think Byfield will be a player. I'm very high on Brandt Clarke. And just the sheer volume of prospects they have almost assures they'll get an additional impact player or two out of them. And they have the assets to use them in another trade to acquire an impact player, similar to what they just did with Fiala.

Once Quick's contract expires next season, it'll open up more space. They can easily fit in Kempe, Anderson, and Durzi with their current available cap space.

I think they have more realistic avenues to contention than Vancouver. The Canucks' upside is already essentially maxed out.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I think Byfield will be a player. I'm very high on Brandt Clarke. And just the sheer volume of prospects they have almost assures they'll get an additional impact player or two out of them. And they have the assets to use them in another trade to acquire an impact player, similar to what they just did with Fiala.

Once Quick's contract expires next season, it'll open up more space. They can easily fit in Kempe, Anderson, and Durzi with their current available cap space.

I think they have more realistic avenues to contention than Vancouver. The Canucks' upside is already essentially maxed out.

I think Byfield will be a player, but the way hes trending and from what I seen, unlikely a 1st line C. He shows signs that he has trouble processing the game at this level.

I'm very high on Brandt Clarke, I think they got a good one there.

Once Quick contract expires, whether Petersen can come in and be as good as quick is another big question mark, if not then they are paying a backup 5 million. Petersen at this point has shown to be an average starter at best.

Look Kings do have a better prospect pool than Vancouver, but if we are to strive or hope to be another team its not the Kings who still depend on 34 year old Kopitar to be their #1 and main offensive producer.

It should be teams like Colorado, New York etc, teams with elite players in key positions - still relatively young, have a good cap structure and prospects in the pipeline.

The canucks have a huge advantage in the quality of the nucleus core that is hard to change or upgrade. Thats why some teams get stuck in mediocrity when you realize you have a good team but your best 3-4 players simply aren't as good as the real contenders.

But if the management will continue to make stupid decisions like allocating 6.65 million to Boeser, this team is going nowhere.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You need high end talent to succeed and win a Cup. Seen that over the years.

Not sure LA has that in their young guys. Pretty much hinges on Byfield to put up Kopitar level points at the same age but without the defensive expertise. Vilardi had back issues and took a step back after being on LA's roster during the shortened Covid year and then spending most of last season in the A. Turcotte, it's a huge year for him this upcoming season. Needs to show LA something to keep their hopes on him developing into a contributor. Be good enough to be on the Kings roster full time and put up around half a PPG should be the target. Only go so far without a couple of high end producers.

NYR, great run to the ECF. Their top picks from 2018-2020, what do they truly expect out of Kravstov, Kakko, and Laf moving forward? Can only go so far if those guys don't give you more in the coming seasons.

Canucks have the couple of high end pieces that you need, but severely missing guys behind them. That's a huge problem.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think Byfield will be a player, but the way hes trending and from what I seen, unlikely a 1st line C. He shows signs that he has trouble processing the game at this level.

I'm very high on Brandt Clarke, I think they got a good one there.

Once Quick contract expires, whether Petersen can come in and be as good as quick is another big question mark, if not then they are paying a backup 5 million. Petersen at this point has shown to be an average starter at best.

Look Kings do have a better prospect pool than Vancouver, but if we are to strive or hope to be another team its not the Kings who still depend on 34 year old Kopitar to be their #1 and main offensive producer.

It should be teams like Colorado, New York etc, teams with elite players in key positions - still relatively young, have a good cap structure and prospects in the pipeline.

The canucks have a huge advantage in the quality of the nucleus core that is hard to change or upgrade. Thats why some teams get stuck in mediocrity when you realize you have a good team but your best 3-4 players simply aren't as good as the real contenders.

But if the management will continue to make stupid decisions like allocating 6.65 million to Boeser, this team is going nowhere.
Obviously, they should aspire to be a team like Colorado. That's not really saying much. I'm not saying the Canucks should try to be the Kings. I'm saying I think the Kings have more avenues to success than Vancouver.

Colorado became Colorado by drafting elite players high in the draft, stockpiling picks/prospects (and taking a step back and trading established players to do so), and making astute pro acquisitions (e.g. Toews, Nichushkin, Lehkonen).

The Canucks have only done the first step in that process, but have no resources to realistically perform the latter parts. If they want to get to that point, they'll need to trade players off the roster, reload and build up a pool of futures, and hope for a better long-term outcome. It might also be the case that the Canucks' core-three just isn't a good enough core to be a contender anyway.

Last point on Boeser: The new contract is the best-case scenario for the Canucks. Anyone who can't see that is deluded. It was either this contract or the $7.5M QO, which Brock could sign again next season and go straight to UFA. I'm the biggest Boeser booster here, but even if I was someone who absolutely wanted him traded, this contract maximally preserves his trade value. Brock is a much less attractive trade asset sitting on a murky RFA status with a $7.5M cap hit (and basically walking straight to UFA) looming.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
There were Marek/Friedman hits this week that had very interesting conversations about the Kings and the Fiala trade.

They implied that LA has made the decision to begin converting prospects into NHL ready players because their brass are not convinced that all of their youth are capable of competing for the cup.

They specially compared their youth against what Anaheim has collected—and highlighted that LA of course put together a group of young players a decade ago who went on to the win the cup.

It will be interesting to see which prospects they keep and which they move this off-season. It will say something about their evaluation of them.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
There were Marek/Friedman hits this week that had very interesting conversations about the Kings and the Fiala trade.

They implied that LA has made the decision to begin converting prospects into NHL ready players because their brass are not convinced that all of their youth are capable of competing for the cup.

They specially compared their youth against what Anaheim has collected—and highlighted that LA of course put together a group of young players a decade ago who went on to the win the cup.

It will be interesting to see which prospects they keep and which they move this off-season. It will say something about their evaluation of them.
Welcome back! I might have just missed your posts but you seemed to be in hibernation for a while (mostly during the Jim Benning regime I’d guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad