Around the League Thread | Playoffs Approaching Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yeah that's an awful pic. Definitely going for the "Danny Devito as the Penguin" vibe.
Frank Whaley plays a soldier for the Falcone outfit given the assignment to take out the Penguin *AND* the Joker:

Whaley does what Batman could never do in 50+ years of movies, comics, etc.,. Forget Frank Castle. Forget Judge Dredd. This was the DC world Terminator.

:eek3:

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
how much capspace does LA have?
I see about 11 million on capfriendly.

And they still need to sign Kempe, Durzi, and others to fill in the roster, you think they still have capspace to add more impact players?

so they added Fiala, but Kopitar (their #1C) and Quick their #1 goalie is 34/36 years old. Meaning their players in key positions most likely regress.

I think LA might still have a better team than Vancouver in the short term but long term they lack high end quality - once Kopitar/quick leaves the game

And while they have quantity, the only center prospect that looks like he can potentially be a #1C is Byfield, all the Vilardi, Turcotte, Kupari don't look like they are even close. And personally I doubt Byfield becomes anywhere close to Kopitar.

IMO I don't see LA being a contender anytime soon. I don't get this romanticizing of the LA Kings.

They have the best or 3rd best prospect pool in the league. All it takes is one or two guys only you and Pastorz aren’t sold on to step in the NHL by storm and boom they can move another more expensive guy for cap space.

They have so much flexibility its crazy and that’s huge being a playoff team that is so liquid.

Like Colorado can get a haul for a redundant Girard now that Byram has stepped up already. I am extremely envious of LA. We are backed into a corner with our cap and they have the most wiggle room I have ever seen for a playoff team.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
and Quick their #1 goalie is 34/36 years old. Meaning their players in key positions most likely regress.
Quick's contract only lasts until the end of next season (and it's fairly heavily back-end loaded with no NTC/NMN clauses). They do have a goalie signed for the next three seasons at $5 million per year. I don't know much about him (other than he appears to be a late bloomer). Fact they gave him a 3 year/15 million contract seems to indicate to me they're thinking to go with him (with Quick as the insurance policy).

Reactions: Butsy Erickson

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
That whole proper rebuild discussion about LA and Bennings failures was hilarious. What a clown :biglaugh:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That Paul extension is a smart move by a smart team that knows it's rebuilding in 3-4 years so is adding stupid term to keep cap hits down. Could see them throwing 8 years at Palat, too :biglaugh:

Term is the way to keep cap hits down and when it's a player at 3 mil or less (edit: a CAPABLE player...like not Beagle) it is unlikely to hurt you. Paul will be able to be moved throughout the contract and even more so as the cap begins to climb again. Zero issue with this signing. It's smart IMO. He fit in well with the team.

The Lightning did the deadline the right way. Hagel, while I have major questions about his upside, is cheap for the next couple of years and then becomes RFA. Paul they get signed to the extension. While they gave up significant assets, they keep the core together and off set the asset loss by introducing capable players to the lineup long term. They aren't just rentals.

They will have to make some moves yet but I suspect this team will recoup some draft pick assets to get the room they need AND they will look to build a good regular season team where they look to address holes at the next deadline in a similar fashion as they did this year. Though the pending loss of Palat is a situation that needs to be dealt with. He's a pretty important piece outside the core group (Stamkos, Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasilevsky) as he can step into any roll as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
That Paul extension is a smart move by a smart team that knows it's rebuilding in 3-4 years so is adding stupid term to keep cap hits down. Could see them throwing 8 years at Palat, too :biglaugh:

It’s such a good contract. Full NTC for the first 4 years then a 16-team NTC for the last 3. As long as revenue returns to normal, that 3.15m cap hit will be insignificant by the time he falls off. Even if he ages poorly, it’s still manageable.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
bowness is an absolutely mental hire for winnipeg lmao

surely this is just a 1 year thing so they can get trotz

Last edited:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The Paul contract is interesting...not a fan of that length but he certainly played well for Tampa and would've liked him on the Canucks. He's turned into a key piece of their new bottom six (averaged 18 min a game in the playoffs) and sort of mitigates the loss of Goodrow & Coleman.

Feel they definitely made a mistake with Hagel however. That price was steep and he hasn't looked good thus far.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Paul contract is interesting...not a fan of that length but he certainly played well for Tampa and would've liked him on the Canucks. He's turned into a key piece of their new bottom six (averaged 18 min a game in the playoffs) and sort of mitigates the loss of Goodrow & Coleman.

Feel they definitely made a mistake with Hagel however. That price was steep and he hasn't looked good thus far.
I’m going to reserve judgement on Hagel for a bit. I agree he hasn’t looked good (especially away from the puck) but he’s 23 with only 150 games under his belt. Let’s see what happens when he gets a camp under his belt and is not thrown directly into the playoff fire for one of the best and most cohesive teams in the league. In the end they have a middle 6 they can feed softer minutes to and who will put 45+ points up on the board. He won’t be useless.

They gave up two AHL/nhl tweeners and two first round picks. But those picks are top 10 protected and the first pick isn’t until next draft. They retain this years pick. With the bodies they will have to move this summer and even more next summer they will be recouping picks/prospects.

They have some fancy footwork to do yet and especially next summer but the good thing when you’ve been a great team full of very good players you can engineer some really good returns to restock.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
They tried to double dip, and got burned. Thinking Hagel can be as successful as Blake Coleman. It was not close.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m going to reserve judgement on Hagel for a bit. I agree he hasn’t looked good (especially away from the puck) but he’s 23 with only 150 games under his belt. Let’s see what happens when he gets a camp under his belt and is not thrown directly into the playoff fire for one of the best and most cohesive teams in the league. In the end they have a middle 6 they can feed softer minutes to and who will put 45+ points up on the board. He won’t be useless.

They gave up two AHL/nhl tweeners and two first round picks. But those picks are top 10 protected and the first pick isn’t until next draft. They retain this years pick. With the bodies they will have to move this summer and even more next summer they will be recouping picks/prospects.

They have some fancy footwork to do yet and especially next summer but the good thing when you’ve been a great team full of very good players you can engineer some really good returns to restock.
Capfriendly has them at $5.1 mill over the cap but have to subtract the $6.9 of seabrook. So $1.8 mill left with a roster size of 20. Minus Seabrook that would put them at 19 so need 4 players. Will need to trade someone just to have a regular roster.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Love this hire. Not for Winnipeg but for myself. Bowness is hilariously grumpy and that toxic dressing room will lead to him cursing out the bench for entire games.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bowness seems like the ultimate "we can fire him in a year for Trotz and everyone will understand" guy
in 2023 they will be a year away from Helly, Scheiffle, PLD and Wheeler’s contracts expiring in 2024. Would have to give Trotz if he’s reconsidering the Jets in 2023 a clear indication of what is happening with the first 3 guys. Wheeler isn’t getting another contract.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Capfriendly has them at $5.1 mill over the cap but have to subtract the $6.9 of seabrook. So $1.8 mill left with a roster size of 20. Minus Seabrook that would put them at 19 so need 4 players. Will need to trade someone just to have a regular roster.
Yes they have some work to do. It’s actually part of the reason that having Paul and Hagel for the next two years at 4.6 M is a good thing.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
I dunno. Bowness should have retired awhile ago and is a bit of a dinosaur but he did get Dallas to the finals in bubble. And between 2011 with us until Dallas he took someone else to the final too right? Was it with Tampa as the assistant coach with Cooper? And the trap and drill Sergeant coach is probably what the dysfunctional jets need.

I think it’s fine. There’s nothing left basically anyways. Should be interesting to see who the isles hire.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
I dunno. Bowness should have retired awhile ago and is a bit of a dinosaur but he did get Dallas to the finals in bubble. And between 2011 with us until Dallas he took someone else to the final too right? Was it with Tampa as the assistant coach with Cooper? And the trap and drill Sergeant coach is probably what the dysfunctional jets need.

I think it’s fine. There’s nothing left basically anyways. Should be interesting to see who the isles hire.
Isles promoted Lane Lambert a while ago

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Jets should just purge their assets while they still have value and rebuild.

Probably but I still think they finish ahead of us next season and we should do that before they do. Lol especially when your prospects like laine and Dubois keep wanting out of the freezer. This might be the best they can get for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad