Around the League Thread | All I Want for Christmas is Luuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don’t really give a shit about the outdoor games and haven’t since pretty much the first one between Edmonton and Montreal - and the only actual fun part of that was the alumni game beforehand and watching Gretzky, Ranford, etc all play again.

So I could care less if the Canucks never play in one. I just don’t get hyping up a practically unwatchable viewing experience.

The NHL marketing at its finest, promote the game and over saturate it for years and years.

Reactions: quat

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Friedman saying the flames ownership group is "apoplectic" about the Huberdeau contract

Said he's heard of owners angry at contracts, but this seems different considering the SB's and this being year 1

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Friedman saying the flames ownership group is "apoplectic" about the Huberdeau contract

Said he's heard of owners angry at contracts, but this seems different considering the SB's and this being year 1
Probably even more pissed that they actually did him favour by firing him.

Reactions: BimJenning

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Huberdeau's decline is the oddest thing I have ever seen...At least you could blame injuries for Cheechoo's rapid decline.

But at least with bad contracts you were hoping for at worst a couple of solid seasons before a decline

Guy is making $17.5 million This calandar year essentially, and he looks like he is in year 7 or 8 of the contract…… not year 1

Reactions: BimJenning

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I doubt Tre had the autonomy to give hub a SB heavy deal without the owners signing off on the deal. Plus they influence the direction they want Tre to go with the Tkachuk deal. Get a return for now or try to win in a few years?

Reactions: credulous

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I went to high school with Drance. He was fine. I was friendly enough with him. There wasn’t any vitriol hatred for him or anything. He was just like any other kid. Not to say that you couldn’t find someone from our high school that really disliked him, but I’m sure that’s true about half the kids in high school. Many kids are obnoxious in high school, I’m not going to hold that against anyone unless they are in some extreme category which I really don’t think Drance was in.

As for your criticism of Drance “knowing hockey”, I’d like to remind you that you supported Jim Benning throughout his reign of error.

*I’m not actually a huge Drance fan or anything. In general I don’t like sports radio. But I do think Drance attracts more criticism than warranted.

Ya, exactly. You can’t support Jim Benning and then turn around and pretend you are some hockey authority who “knows hockey” and can identify those who don’t.
Gladstone…. class of 82? Drance looks old. Like he was rode hard and put away wet.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I went to high school with Drance. He was fine. I was friendly enough with him. There wasn’t any vitriol hatred for him or anything. He was just like any other kid. Not to say that you couldn’t find someone from our high school that really disliked him, but I’m sure that’s true about half the kids in high school. Many kids are obnoxious in high school, I’m not going to hold that against anyone unless they are in some extreme category which I really don’t think Drance was in.

As for your criticism of Drance “knowing hockey”, I’d like to remind you that you supported Jim Benning throughout his reign of error.
No going at you because I know you were replying to someone. But who cares what he was like in highschool. I was an asshole and did some stupid stuff. We all young and dumb at one point criticize Drances work okay but I don’t care what he was like in high school. If he acts like an asshole now call him out on it but who give a **** what he did 20 years ago (along as it was not illegal and nobody got seriously hurt mentally or physically).

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don’t really give a shit about the outdoor games and haven’t since pretty much the first one between Edmonton and Montreal - and the only actual fun part of that was the alumni game beforehand and watching Gretzky, Ranford, etc all play again.

So I could care less if the Canucks never play in one. I just don’t get hyping up a practically unwatchable viewing experience.

f***, we're getting to the stage that Teemu f***in Selanne was in an alumni game...4 years ago?

Just goes to show, the classic games just hit different when you're a kid...or maybe it was still a novel idea back then. One of the two. I talked myself up into actually making a point of watching the game this year, and ended up sleeping right through it. Don't really feel that upset for that.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
f***, we're getting to the stage that Teemu f***in Selanne was in an alumni game...4 years ago?

Just goes to show, the classic games just hit different when you're a kid...or maybe it was still a novel idea back then. One of the two. I talked myself up into actually making a point of watching the game this year, and ended up sleeping right through it. Don't really feel that upset for that.

Honestly, give me a classic alumni game each year. Get Gretzky, Lemieux, and others to play in a game and televise it, I’d watch that. That would be an actual “heritage” classic. Stop giving me these outdoor games that, on TV or in person, is like watching the game from a jet 35,000 feet in the sky, to say nothing of unpredictable weather conditions.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I watched the PWHL game yesterday. New York’s goaltender, Schroder, totally brick walled Toronto in period 2 and then NY blew up for four goals in the third. Surprisingly physical game, and it was entertaining. Great to see women finally have a legitimate professional league of their own.
I found their short handed goal rule interesting.. if you get a shorty it negates the rest of the penalty

Reactions: racerjoe

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

If you want the league to have amnesty buyouts—having a toxic contract on a team that represents the executive Board of Governors is probably a good place to start.

It is almost certain that the hockey executive-gods would allow an amnesty buyout the moment that Vancouver no longer has any toxic contracts on their books.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

We did play in one remember? We turned BC Place into an 'outdoor' atmosphere.
That was back in 2014 and the NHL hasn't come back since.

Good riddance to that Winter Classic, I'd rather watch the NFL Pro Bowl competition.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

sure they are. i am pretty sure those are the same geniuses that told treliving to get huberdeau extended asap to save their season ticket sales and keep their stadium negotiations on track.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We did play in one remember? We turned BC Place into an 'outdoor' atmosphere.
That was back in 2014 and the NHL hasn't come back since.

Good riddance to that Winter Classic, I'd rather watch the NFL Pro Bowl competition.

I do remember, and it was pretty well a joke. Would rather they have just played a regular game and not even bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia