Around the League Thread | All I Want for Christmas is Luuuu

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am :popcorn: the drama over in Minnesota. I remember reading how everybody loved O’Hearn and how Brackett is going somewhere better and here we are. Of course the Canucks has had its fair share of controversy but that was last year.:thumbu:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably trying to decide if Staios is going to remain the permanent GM, or if he'll stick with just being the PoHO and hiring a new GM. Get the GM decision made and then get a new coach...but they'd better shit or get of the pot, this season is quickly becoming a write-off for them.
All they can do is name someone else within the team as the Interim HC. Or bring in a BB type coach who is not working, but is given no guarantees of keeping the job.

Same situation as the Canucks after JB was fired. Mid season changes are not likely to land you your permanent guy in-season. Other teams would need to promote from within to backfill someone who would leave or disperse that person's duties.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably trying to decide if Staios is going to remain the permanent GM, or if he'll stick with just being the PoHO and hiring a new GM. Get the GM decision made and then get a new coach...but they'd better shit or get of the pot, this season is quickly becoming a write-off for them.

No reason not to hire a GM and have a fall guy.

Nightmare season for them. Like last season.

I bet Laine is happy he signed that 4 year extension in summer 2022.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I know it's such low hanging fruit that it should be classified as 'potatoes', but the coping and seething on the Oilers board is something else.

We'd apparently be a shit team were it not for Demko.

Ignoring that the Oilers would be a dominating team if they had even halfways competent goaltending.

Ignoring that the Oilers would be an even shittier team if they didn't have McDavid.

Also, the copium "I'd be okay if we were wild card" after being anointed Cup favorites is pretty nice.

I am :popcorn: the drama over in Minnesota. I remember reading how everybody loved O’Hearn and how Brackett is going somewhere better and here we are. Of course the Canucks has had its fair share of controversy but that was last year.:thumbu:

What's the ongoing drama? For whatever reason, Minnesota just doesn't exist to me.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I know it's such low hanging fruit that it should be classified as 'potatoes', but the coping and seething on the Oilers board is something else.

Ignoring that the Oilers would be a dominating team if they had even halfways competent goaltending.

Ignoring that the Oilers would be an even shittier team if they didn't have McDavid.

Also, the copium "I'd be okay if we were wild card" after being anointed Cup favorites is pretty nice.
The amount of time the "deserve to win" meter gets posted on that board is hilarious.

"It's noooot faaaiiiir!"

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I say with all sincerity, what the f***?

Sources told Daily Faceoff that Valimaki was dropped off in the emergency room, like any other patient, and left to advocate for his own care with his wife – who happened to be in Dallas at the road game – and a Coyotes team employee. After initial observation, the overworked Dallas hospital staff told Valimaki to find a local hotel and come back in the morning, that their attention was turned toward more critical incoming trauma patients such as gunshot victims.
But Valimaki was in need of immediate care. With his face bloodied, a hole in his mouth and significant internal bleeding, Valimaki was unable to function, sources said. Doctors later told Valimaki that if he had returned to a hotel and slept it off as directed by the hospital, there was a chance he could have asphyxiated on his own blood. It wasn’t until five hours later, and only after the NHLPA stepped in to assist, that Valimaki received 55 stitches in his mouth to close the wound, which included a fractured bone and the loss of three teeth.

The timeline of Valimaki’s injury is startling. Hakanpaa’s shot hit him in the face just after 9 o’clock local time, exactly three minutes into the third period. He left the ice immediately with blood dripping from his mouth. Valimaki was seen by Stars doctors, who told him that surgery was necessary, and he arrived at the hospital at approximately 9:40 p.m. By 10:00, he had received a CT scan to assess the damage, but was told by the hospital that his injury couldn’t be surgically addressed until Thursday – two days later – and was instructed to find a local hotel. The rest of the Coyotes were traveling on from Dallas to Columbus for their next game.

The NHLPA was contacted by Valimaki’s wife, Vilma, around 11 o’clock after he sat in the ER for an hour without care. It took until 1 o’clock in the morning before the wound and Valimaki’s face were even cleaned up. He was admitted to the hospital around 2 o’clock and the wound was closed with 55 stitches, which stopped the bleeding, and finally provided some level of comfort. It took another 12 hours – not until approximately 2 o’clock in the afternoon the following day after the game – for a more delicate surgery to be conducted which properly braced the fractured bone in his mouth and realigned his remaining teeth. After that surgery, Valimaki returned home to Arizona on a flight.

However, it has not become clear that either the Stars or the Coyotes have violated the medical protocol put in place by the NHL and NHLPA. The full protocol is not available publicly.

Most NHL teams do not travel with their own physicians, and road teams typically rely on a home team’s doctors for care. Every arena is required to have two trained physicians within 50 feet of the benches at all times, in addition to a dentist and/or oral surgeon in the arena. Upon exiting the ice, Valimaki was immediately greeted by a Dallas Fire & Rescue EMS team, as seen in the game video. He was examined by Stars doctors, then placed into the ambulance and taken to the hospital. At that point, Valimaki is in the medical care of the hospital, and technically no longer in the care of the Stars. Because the game was ongoing, the Stars’ doctors were required to remain onsite in case of future injury. But it remains unclear whether the Stars’ medical team called to prepare the hospital for Valimaki’s arrival, advocated on his behalf, or stopped by the hospital after the game to ensure proper treatment was being executed. Technically, none of those things is believed to be required by the protocol, and thus, there is no alleged violation. The Stars say they are participating in the league’s investigation.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
When the Canucks are playing well, the Oilers' board just starts rationalizing and downplaying it full time. I don't think I've seen anything comparable anywhere else on HF, although I never look at the Leafs' board.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’ve waited 3 hours at emergency room from 11pm and from 4am onwards. Sadly that is the reality of the health care system.

Concerned that anyone in the hospital told him to return to a hotel. At worst just remain in the waiting room because if something happened to him while waiting then there are medical professionals who can help him. But at that point, in emergency they do prioritize those who need immediate medical help to save a life and which ones can wait.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sources told Daily Faceoff that Valimaki was dropped off in the emergency room, like any other patient, and left to advocate for his own care with his wife – who happened to be in Dallas at the road game – and a Coyotes team employee. After initial observation, the overworked Dallas hospital staff told Valimaki to find a local hotel and come back in the morning, that their attention was turned toward more critical incoming trauma patients such as gunshot victims.
But Valimaki was in need of immediate care. With his face bloodied, a hole in his mouth and significant internal bleeding, Valimaki was unable to function, sources said. Doctors later told Valimaki that if he had returned to a hotel and slept it off as directed by the hospital, there was a chance he could have asphyxiated on his own blood. It wasn’t until five hours later, and only after the NHLPA stepped in to assist, that Valimaki received 55 stitches in his mouth to close the wound, which included a fractured bone and the loss of three teeth.

The timeline of Valimaki’s injury is startling. Hakanpaa’s shot hit him in the face just after 9 o’clock local time, exactly three minutes into the third period. He left the ice immediately with blood dripping from his mouth. Valimaki was seen by Stars doctors, who told him that surgery was necessary, and he arrived at the hospital at approximately 9:40 p.m. By 10:00, he had received a CT scan to assess the damage, but was told by the hospital that his injury couldn’t be surgically addressed until Thursday – two days later – and was instructed to find a local hotel. The rest of the Coyotes were traveling on from Dallas to Columbus for their next game.

The NHLPA was contacted by Valimaki’s wife, Vilma, around 11 o’clock after he sat in the ER for an hour without care. It took until 1 o’clock in the morning before the wound and Valimaki’s face were even cleaned up. He was admitted to the hospital around 2 o’clock and the wound was closed with 55 stitches, which stopped the bleeding, and finally provided some level of comfort. It took another 12 hours – not until approximately 2 o’clock in the afternoon the following day after the game – for a more delicate surgery to be conducted which properly braced the fractured bone in his mouth and realigned his remaining teeth. After that surgery, Valimaki returned home to Arizona on a flight.

However, it has not become clear that either the Stars or the Coyotes have violated the medical protocol put in place by the NHL and NHLPA. The full protocol is not available publicly.

Most NHL teams do not travel with their own physicians, and road teams typically rely on a home team’s doctors for care. Every arena is required to have two trained physicians within 50 feet of the benches at all times, in addition to a dentist and/or oral surgeon in the arena. Upon exiting the ice, Valimaki was immediately greeted by a Dallas Fire & Rescue EMS team, as seen in the game video. He was examined by Stars doctors, then placed into the ambulance and taken to the hospital. At that point, Valimaki is in the medical care of the hospital, and technically no longer in the care of the Stars. Because the game was ongoing, the Stars’ doctors were required to remain onsite in case of future injury. But it remains unclear whether the Stars’ medical team called to prepare the hospital for Valimaki’s arrival, advocated on his behalf, or stopped by the hospital after the game to ensure proper treatment was being executed. Technically, none of those things is believed to be required by the protocol, and thus, there is no alleged violation. The Stars say they are participating in the league’s investigation.

Not familiar with Dallas, but aren't there private hospitals he can go to?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Who gives a f***? It's their team board and their team is rolling after a bad start, they should be as positive as they want.

The only weird behavior here is a Canucks fan going onto an Oilers board and then getting upset at what they read.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Wow, this makes the Canucks handling of the Pearson injury look hyper-competent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not familiar with Dallas, but aren't there private hospitals he can go to?
How late do private hospitals open until? Says he arrived at 9:40pm local time.

Those private ones are more elective stuff or move you up the line in terms of scheduling surgery. But, if you need help from 6pm onwards, probably have to go to a regular hospital.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The Guerin and Valimaki stuff makes all the drama around the Canucks the last two years look like nothing. Now the difference being everything in Vancouver, and Canada, gets magnified and this is two separate organizations.

Reactions: tradervik

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The Guerin and Valimaki stuff makes all the drama around the Canucks the last two years look like nothing. Now the difference being everything in Vancouver, and Canada, gets magnified and this is two separate organizations.
Totally.. boudreau stuff is what it is but i blame the owner

The doerrie stuff was nothing

The pearson stuff my gut tells me was romanticized due to the player having a riff

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really don’t think we did anything wrong. Everything was just way blown out or proportion. Tanner is fine and healthy in Montreal.

No he isn't.

Pearson appeared to suffer the injury when he took a shot off his left hand.

Pearson missed all but 14 games last season with the Vancouver Canucks after suffering another an injury to the same hand in a game against the Canadiens. He had three surgeries for the injury.

He's since been placed on IR.

• Wow
Reactions: LemonSauceD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad