Around the League | Post Toilet Bowl Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Holland wants to fix the team but does not want to relinquish any assets.

But hey all of his other garbage are ready to go!
Reality is that the Oilers know full well that they may not turn it around. So, if they move their first, even if it is protected in the top 5-10, if they do end up keeping the pick, the 2025 pick becomes Unprotected, and then if Leon tells the oilers he is not extending, then what do they do? Trade him and hope and pray they get a 1 for 1 deal ala Subban/Weber, Jones/Johansen, and even Hall/Larsson in return and hope that can fix things to convince Connor to stick around? If that doesn't happen and Connor demands out as well, that 2025 pick is going to be in the lottery too.

That's really likely why they are not willing to give that 1st this upcoming season up.

Or they roll the dice and allow Leon to hit UFA and bank everything on having a good 24/25 season.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Reality is that the Oilers know full well that they may not turn it around. So, if they move their first, even if it is protected in the top 5-10, if they do end up keeping the pick, the 2025 pick becomes Unprotected, and then if Leon tells the oilers he is not extending, then what do they do? Trade him and hope and pray they get a 1 for 1 deal ala Subban/Weber, Jones/Johansen, and even Hall/Larsson in return and hope that can fix things to convince Connor to stick around? If that doesn't happen and Connor demands out as well, that 2025 pick is going to be in the lottery too.

That's really likely why they are not willing to give that 1st this upcoming season up.

Or they roll the dice and allow Leon to hit UFA and bank everything on having a good 24/25 season.
I think not trading a draft pick is a bigger indicator to your stars that you have given up and dont even have faith in them reaching middle of the pack decreasing the video game slider value of the pick

How they arent trading picks right now is so assinine they will get what karma says

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If nobody is seriously injured, the league will just make it go away because needing to give out big suspensions makes negative headlines.

If someone is seriously injured (even if it's a lesser act) and the league is getting negative publicity, they'll come down extra hard to make it look like they're 'tough on violence' and don't stand for this stuff.

It's always the way it's been and sadly it will never change.

If that exact Trouba swing had led to a player lying motionless on the ice and bad publicity for the league, it would have been 10-15 games.

This is also why this stuff keeps happening. If you punish the action players will stop doing the action. If you punish the result and players know that 9 times out of 10 the other player will get up, they'll keep doing it.
It's groundhog day over and over and funny that Trouba is often involved in these "well he didn't mean to hurt anyone" type of plays eh?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think not trading a draft pick is a bigger indicator to your stars that you have given up and dont even have faith in them reaching middle of the pack decreasing the video game slider value of the pick

How they arent trading picks right now is so assinine they will get what karma says

It’s not so simple though. What do they need vs what they can get with their 1st? Use picks to dump Campbell and then who’s the replacement at this stage? It’s difficult to salvage the season I think.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s not so simple though. What do they need vs what they can get with their 1st? Use picks to dump Campbell and then who’s the replacement at this stage? It’s difficult to salvage the season I think.
Agreed. This season is a writeoff. And honestly if I was a fan I wouldn’t want Holland making any major trades as he’s the guy who thought Campbell and Connor Brown were the answers.
But bigger picture I think the Oilers have missed out on the McDrai window. Even with a good GM they need at least two off seasons of shrewd moves to rebuild the D, fix the goaltending and acquire a new bottom six.

Reactions: F A N

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
There are many layers

The outer layer is that simple as it should have been for years

If all your prospects are out there and your first and you are getting interest on both - try and dump campbell with whatever assets are getting less interest for ready now players

They need established role players that can check .. all positions.. D first then F.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There are many layers

The outer layer is that simple as it should have been for years

If all your prospects are out there and your first and you are getting interest on both - try and dump campbell with whatever assets are getting less interest for ready now players

They need established role players that can check .. all positions.. D first then F.

So what you are saying is basically be all ears to potential trades. If so sure. And there’s no indication that Holland isn’t taking phone calls or making various players and prospects available.

Secondly, you say they need help at all positions. Are you suggesting they make bad trades for established role players too?

My point is that it’s easier said than done when the needs are so many and the horizon is so short. They aren’t Tampa who targeted specific forwards to help extend the compete window after losing depth up front. Devon Toews type trades don’t come along often. Instead you have better luck trading for a Dman like Ekbolm which is what the Oilers did.

But yes the Oilers could have been more aggressive adding impact players to the team especially players that fit the “age gap” but then they don’t have the cap space.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. This season is a writeoff. And honestly if I was a fan I wouldn’t want Holland making any major trades as he’s the guy who thought Campbell and Connor Brown were the answers.
But bigger picture I think the Oilers have missed out on the McDrai window. Even with a good GM they need at least two off seasons of shrewd moves to rebuild the D, fix the goaltending and acquire a new bottom six.
That's also a major consideration. Do you want to give someone who is on the "Hot Seat", to make any major changes that could impact the team long term? We saw that in 2021 off season with Benning. He's gone 2 years ago and the Canucks are the ones paying for the moves he made with AZ.

And the reality with all of the capped out teams, very difficult to find a trade partner that fills your needs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure it seems like it should be a write-off but after tonight they will be 6 points out of a wildcard spot and they have had a ton of crappy luck already they might find a way back in.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sure it seems like it should be a write-off but after tonight they will be 6 points out of a wildcard spot and they have had a ton of crappy luck already they might find a way back in.
They will fight to the very end but the pace they have to maintain for the rest of the season is pretty damn tough

Might run out of fume even if they make it

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn’t be shocked if they make it. Just don’t see them doing much if they get there.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
So what you are saying is basically be all ears to potential trades. If so sure. And there’s no indication that Holland isn’t taking phone calls or making various players and prospects available.
I am saying they should actively be pursuing trades

Secondly, you say they need help at all positions. Are you suggesting they make bad trades for established role players too?
Really?

I am suggesting they actively pursue targets such as a low 20 minute dman that can consistently and effectively play in his own zone. I'm suggesting the actively pursue another forward that can consistently and effectively play in all three zones.

My point is that it’s easier said than done when the needs are so many and the horizon is so short. They aren’t Tampa who targeted specific forwards to help extend the compete window after losing depth up front. Devon Toews type trades don’t come along often. Instead you have better luck trading for a Dman like Ekbolm which is what the Oilers did.

Funny thing is i dont think the needs are THAT great. Some of the defenseman need to be bumped down from their current ice time and they need a couple more middle range forwards that push the forecheck and can check effectively on their own side of Center.

That in conjunction with hammering in a system that can get the forwards to help these defenseman make short quick plays to get out would do a world of good

But yes the Oilers could have been more aggressive adding impact players to the team especially players that fit the “age gap” but then they don’t have the cap space.

Depending on how you are meaning impact yes they should have been more aggressive for years I agree

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
The act of tracking someone down the ice to slash them in the head is not the same as a guy who was engaged with someone and ended up somewhat off-balance and slashed someone in the head. I'm not even convinced Trouba was trying to slash him in the head.
Nobody in the league wants long suspensions. Not players, teams, or the league. No point in being mad about it as fans, if they don't care you shouldn't either.

I knew as soon as I saw the play and the fine there would be rage exhibited by many on whom it has no bearing. It's getting very tiresome.

Reactions: m9

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Heres a review of the Edm - Ana game

1701059586104.png

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Anaheim has the blueprints of a good roster. Not quite there yet but they will be a good group in the near future. Biggest errors was holding onto Zegras and signing a 34 year old Killorn to a 4 year deal. Not the worst situation but they have to be cautious who they overpay going forward.

Oilers are showing signs of coming to life. They just need average goaltending and can outscore their issues in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad