Around the league: Playoffs II | Did I mention Calgary sucks? And also Winnipeg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Leafs in this series are like that Canucks/Kings series in 2010 when everytime they took a penalty the Kings scored.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ron McLean is the weirdest thing. Even weirder than Don Cherry. Like his job is basically to deliver these cringey intros that are just lathered in schmaltz, and he's just awful at everything, yet he seems to be beloved for no particular reason.

One of the most enduring mysteries of Canadian broadcasting is how so many people hated a class traditional professional in Strombo when he was hired because fancy shoes! millennial! MuchMusic lol! and yet shovel up the revolting schmaltz that MacLean peddles.

Posted about this on the HOH board awhile back :

I loved Strombo and absolutely hate MacLean. And I'm about as big of a traditionalist as it gets.

I can't think of a TV personality I find more nauseating than MacLean. His fake-ass, name-dropping, schmaltzy, hokey, appeal-to-grandmas persona is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Strombo was great. It's weird that people label him a 'millennial MTV guy' because his whole style and demeanour is a throwback to hosts from the 50s/60s. Neutral, classy, well-spoken host who was a great interviewer and knew when to shut up and let the experts talk ... unlike MacLean who always comes off like he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Felt the whole production seemed so much more professional and big-league with Strombo at the helm.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
One of the most enduring mysteries of Canadian broadcasting is how so many people hated a class traditional professional in Strombo when he was hired because fancy shoes! millennial! MuchMusic lol! and yet shovel up the revolting schmaltz that MacLean peddles.

Essentially for sentimental purposes. Ron MacLean was once a decent panel commentator when he would convey facts and recount stories during intermissions. It all went to hell towards the late 2000s when he began citing his opinions and trying his darndest to sound like a broken hallmark record. The Burrows-Auger incident really marked a point where he totally lost the plot.

They should leave him just faciliate discussions and not let him cite his opinions. That bit on Grubauer the other night was a total joke and shows his lack of experience and understanding of the game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

they can both be bad for different reasons.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
But you can’t separate the three. Well, at least I can’t. Rogers owns Sportsnet, the fawning house media, and they shove the whole Canada’s Team down our throats relentlessly.
I get it from a business standpoint. They’re pumping their product.

As a fan of any other Canadian team, though, it’s really hard to stomach.

I hated the Leafs even before Sportsnet got the TV rights, but my level of disgust for the Unholy Trinity is now such that I’d cheer for a team of 23 Messier offspring before I’d ever cheer for the Leafs.

Reactions: MS

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
The Leafs board can’t take a compliment. I got a trolling warning.

“You have a great young team. If Dubas builds on it, I could see the Leafs getting out of the second round in a few years.”

Reactions: vanuck

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver

I liked Strombo as a host overall. I think the problem with his short lived era was the jarring change in production styles. It went from traditional broadcasters sitting behind a desk talking and breaking down plays to constant jib shots of Kelly Hrudy or Nick Kipreos holding a hockey stick on a fake ice surface doing their best to be a weatherman in front of a giant screen to explain things.

Some elements of it were refreshing but some of it seemed over the top and distracted from the information that they were trying to convey. I think Strombo became a bit of a lightning rod for the “new” Hockey Night in Canada and all the things people didn’t like about it. A lot of it seemed misdirected from Rogers radically changing a Canadian institution.

If we had what we have now with Strombo in MacLean’s place, things might have gone differently.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
The Leafs board can’t take a compliment. I got a trolling warning.

“You have a great young team. If Dubas builds on it, I could see the Leafs getting out of the second round in a few years.”

if anyone came to our board and did something similar i'd probably tell them to f*** off.

it can definitely be interpreted as patronizing/tool-ish.

Reactions: B-rock

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I have lost count how many times the Leafs have made a soft break in on the outside and make a weak play on the net just to lead to a turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad