GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part V

Which team are you cheering against now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Gotta love PattyCake. There are players who leave the org and no matter where they go I can't cheer against them. Blue deserve a cup. Does anybody want RatFace to win another one?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kerfoot is only in his 2nd year and has put up 2 40+ point seasons. Not having a great playoff obviously but Spooner? Haha, lmao

He's 25 in a couple months and is a no talent fill player, of the worst variety that doesn't bring anything to the table. Even on the AV's board, if we're being honest, they can't stand Kerfoot. Probably most hated player on that team, by his own fans. Some talentless schmuck drafted in the 5th round that has never done anything to wow anybody but keeps for some reason getting primo assignments. Only reason he would ever get pts is due to specific use. He doesn't generate much of anything. He kills almost anything he touches. He's so bad I appreciate him being out on the ice as a cooler. Mackinnon should be telling him to do his job...;)

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He's 25 in a couple months and is a no talent fill player, of the worst variety that doesn't bring anything to the table. Even on the AV's board, if we're being honest, they can't stand Kerfoot. Probably most hated player on that team, by his own fans. Some talentless schmuck drafted in the 5th round that has never done anything to wow anybody but keeps for some reason getting primo assignments. Only reason he would ever get pts is due to specific use. He doesn't generate much of anything. He kills almost anything he touches. He's so bad I appreciate him being out on the ice as a cooler. Mackinnon should be telling him to do his job...;)
Not having a good playoff, happens to a lot of guys. Regular season numbers aren’t bad though, 85pts in 150 some games. Anyway, not a favourite player of mine either but I’ll take him over Spooner no problem.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not having a good playoff, happens to a lot of guys. Regular season numbers aren’t bad though, 85pts in 150 some games. Anyway, not a favourite player of mine either but I’ll take him over Spooner no problem.

You know my opinion of Spooner, lol, I was just being tongue in cheek. But I still never saw Kerfoot do much that impressed. Actually both players have had spurts of production, but with Kerfoot probably has a whole lot to do with who he's playing with. The guy is really awful with the puck. If the AV's don't advance it would have something to do with all the plays Kerfoot botches. He's so bad he sometimes cancels out Mackinnon. hard to do. ;)

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
You know my opinion of Spooner, lol, I was just being tongue in cheek. But I still never saw Kerfoot do much that impressed. Actually both players have had spurts of production, but with Kerfoot probably has a whole lot to do with who he's playing with. The guy is really awful with the puck. If the AV's don't advance it would have something to do with all the plays Kerfoot botches. He's so bad he sometimes cancels out Mackinnon. hard to do. ;)
He been noticeably bad in this series, shooting for crests or missing the net altogether. He’s young, (24 and only 2 years in the league) but being drafted in the 5th round and standing 5’10 and 175lbs is not ideal nor would he come with too much expectations either.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'll wait for @Drivesaitl to explain to me why I'm misinterpreting these again :laugh: but these numbers sure sound pretty good? 2018-19 NHL TV ratings

Edit: Specifically:

"
From NBC’s PR page... NBC SPORTS’ COVERAGE OF DRAMATIC KENTUCKY DERBY AVERAGES 16.5 MILLION VIEWERS & LEADS INTO SECOND-MOST WATCHED NON-STANLEY CUP FINAL NHL GAME ON RECORD

NBC averaged 18.0 million TV-only Kentucky Derby viewers when Maximum Security and Country Housecrossed the finish line in the 6:45-7 p.m. ET quarter hour, before peaking at 18.5 million viewers for the dramatic post-race coverage on NBC from 7-7:15 p.m. ET.
NBC Sports has averaged at least 15 million viewers for the Kentucky Derby for seven consecutive years – the longest streak for the event in People Meter history (since 1988).
Leading out of the historic Kentucky Derby coverage, Columbus-Boston Game 5 of the Second Round of the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged a TAD of 4.618 million viewers in primetime on NBC, making it the second-most watched non-Stanley Cup Final NHL game on record (since 1993). The game trails only Game 7 of the 2015 Western Conference Final between Chicago and Anaheim (4.636 million).
Viewership for Columbus-Boston Game 5 was up 7% vs. last year’s Pittsburgh-Washington Game 5 (4.318 million), which also followed Kentucky Derby coverage.
Columbus delivered a 15.2 local rating for Game 5, NBC Sports’ highest rating on record for an NHL game in the market. Boston scored a 15.1 rating. Following are the Top 5 markets for Columbus-Boston Game 5:
RankMarketRating
1Columbus15.2
2Boston15.1
3Providence12.5
4Louisville9.0
5Buffalo6.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll wait for @Drivesaitl to explain to me why I'm misinterpreting these again :laugh: but these numbers sure sound pretty good? 2018-19 NHL TV ratings

"
From NBC’s PR page... NBC SPORTS’ COVERAGE OF DRAMATIC KENTUCKY DERBY AVERAGES 16.5 MILLION VIEWERS & LEADS INTO SECOND-MOST WATCHED NON-STANLEY CUP FINAL NHL GAME ON RECORD

NBC averaged 18.0 million TV-only Kentucky Derby viewers when Maximum Security and Country Housecrossed the finish line in the 6:45-7 p.m. ET quarter hour, before peaking at 18.5 million viewers for the dramatic post-race coverage on NBC from 7-7:15 p.m. ET.
NBC Sports has averaged at least 15 million viewers for the Kentucky Derby for seven consecutive years – the longest streak for the event in People Meter history (since 1988).
Leading out of the historic Kentucky Derby coverage, Columbus-Boston Game 5 of the Second Round of the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged a TAD of 4.618 million viewers in primetime on NBC, making it the second-most watched non-Stanley Cup Final NHL game on record (since 1993). The game trails only Game 7 of the 2015 Western Conference Final between Chicago and Anaheim (4.636 million).
Viewership for Columbus-Boston Game 5 was up 7% vs. last year’s Pittsburgh-Washington Game 5 (4.318 million), which also followed Kentucky Derby coverage.
Columbus delivered a 15.2 local rating for Game 5, NBC Sports’ highest rating on record for an NHL game in the market. Boston scored a 15.1 rating. Following are the Top 5 markets for Columbus-Boston Game 5:
RankMarketRating
1Columbus15.2
2Boston15.1
3Providence12.5
4Louisville9.0
5Buffalo6.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"
I don't understand your point. This is one specific game, a Bruins game (one of the topten markets and the only one left in the playoffs) and was time connected with the Kentucky Derby. Another look at it is that many more viewers STOPPED watching NBC, than those that continued to watch the hockey game.

What NBC did there is pair a hockey game to a very favored sporting telecast. That is a huge favor to the NHL. Is the NHL returning the favor with those numbers?

The Derby had over 18M viewers. The NHL game retained only 4M of those. Is that impressive?

All the boxcars above tell you is that in Boston and Columbus that respective series is popular viewing. How is that surprising. It doesn't say anything about what the National numbers are. A more accurate picture would include such things as how many people in the top NHL markets, in NY, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, etc are watching.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

"

RankMarketRating
1Columbus15.2
2Boston15.1
3Providence12.5
4Louisville9.0
5Buffalo6.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"

It always seems like Buffalo gets good numbers, even if the Sabres aren't in the playoffs.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Fabbri is exactly the type of player Holland should be after. Talented but the victim of a numbers game.
Man. You think the blues would trade a young cap controlled player who will eventually be a contributer on the team? And for what? The ask will start with a high pick and roster player.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
They were the consensus Stanley Cup Favorite coming out of the Central to start the year that had crappy goaltending and needed a coaching change. Insert new coach, new outlook, new style, and most importantly Binnington and they are now back to Stanley Cup Favorite.
And the oilers were favorites in 2017. If we made a coaching change, i guess we are next in line to be favorites again. The blues was a tire fire and were NOT cup favorites. The Jets, Predators and Tbay were. Maybe you should get your facts straight. The Blues were getting nowhere this time last year and what did they do in the off season of 2018 to be called favorites. That team is a dumpster fire and was so when they were cellar dwellers and written off. All you need to do is get into the playoffs and plugs become stars. Every year is the same. Like where the hell did connor sheary came out from. We had our pisani. Blues have this Thomas guy who probably could have been had for Strome and now is lights out. You need plugs that turn into some beast mode in the playoffs and the blues have it. The oilers also have it. Getting in is the issue. I bet you the likes of Gambardella and Reider will magically turn into some beast in the playoffs. Yup. Reider. Anyone predicting Thomas turned into beast mode before the playoffs can go buy yourself a lottery ticket.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't understand your point. This is one specific game, a Bruins game (one of the topten markets and the only one left in the playoffs) and was time connected with the Kentucky Derby. Another look at it is that many more viewers STOPPED watching NBC, than those that continued to watch the hockey game.

What NBC did there is pair a hockey game to a very favored sporting telecast. That is a huge favor to the NHL. Is the NHL returning the favor with those numbers?

The Derby had over 18M viewers. The NHL game retained only 4M of those. Is that impressive?

All the boxcars above tell you is that in Boston and Columbus that respective series is popular viewing. How is that surprising. It doesn't say anything about what the National numbers are. A more accurate picture would include such things as how many people in the top NHL markets, in NY, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, etc are watching.

Re: That game, it's still more watched than the Pit-Washington equivalent, which is crazy to me as I thought the hockey was better and the teams had much more of a storyline to them. And even if it's just one game, it seems pretty impressive to me that this is the second most watched non-final game ever.

Plus this tweet:

All in all, it still seems to me that the data suggests this year's playoffs, while uninteresting to me, are at the very least not that bad of a year for the NHL's viewership relative to past performance. We'll see how the next negotiation goes of course, and that drop off you previously noted for the first round was pretty stark.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Man. You think the blues would trade a young cap controlled player who will eventually be a contributer on the team? And for what? The ask will start with a high pick and roster player.

He missed an entire season and was largely ineffective this season. They could ask for that but they aren’t getting that for Robby Fabbri.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
And the oilers were favorites in 2017. If we made a coaching change, i guess we are next in line to be favorites again. The blues was a tire fire and were NOT cup favorites. The Jets, Predators and Tbay were. Maybe you should get your facts straight. The Blues were getting nowhere this time last year and what did they do in the off season of 2018 to be called favorites. That team is a dumpster fire and was so when they were cellar dwellers and written off. All you need to do is get into the playoffs and plugs become stars. Every year is the same. Like where the hell did connor sheary came out from. We had our pisani. Blues have this Thomas guy who probably could have been had for Strome and now is lights out. You need plugs that turn into some beast mode in the playoffs and the blues have it. The oilers also have it. Getting in is the issue. I bet you the likes of Gambardella and Reider will magically turn into some beast in the playoffs. Yup. Reider. Anyone predicting Thomas turned into beast mode before the playoffs can go buy yourself a lottery ticket.

We were discussing the beginning of the season not this time last year. If you don’t know what the Blues did this off season to warrant Stanley Cup favourite status then you have just disqualified yourself from speaking knowledgeably about them.

As for the plug into star thing I agree each cup winning team has a grinder that steps forward. Last year it was Devante Smith Pelley for the Caps. This year he played in the minors after being waived and no takers.

We agree that the playoffs are a different animal. You need players to get you there the players to get you through. So it’s a mix.

But to suggest a team of grinders with a couple of snipers and a good goalie is the key to ultimate victory I say that is misguided.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
0E98A156-7C83-4B5B-B9E6-69492C67406C.jpeg

His last shift ever.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
The Oilers need a #1 defenseman in the worst kind of way. But trading Draisaitl is hilarious, the offence on this team is already dead hockey era bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad