GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part V

Which team are you cheering against now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He definitely got pulled a few times. I don’t have his stats on hand but I’m sure they’re ugly.

He stole game 6 but other than that he was Koskinen tier.

Yep, Jones has not been very good all season. I think his save percentage was around .870 for the season. San Jose must have been shitting their pants going into the playoffs. Colorado's top line should have fun with them...but I do wonder if rust will play a part in game 1.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
NHL felt the heat after that major on Eakin. Vet ref O'Halloran, who worked that game, is done for the playoffs.

NHL Referees and Linesmen for Round 2 of 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Scouting The Refs

Out from Round 1: Eric Furlatt, Trevor Hanson, Jean Hebert, Chris Lee, Jon McIsaac, Brad Meier, Dan O’Halloran, Kyle Rehman

Tonight’s NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Referees and Linesmen – 4/23/19 - Scouting The Refs

Furlatt and O'Halloran reffed that game, and they are both done. O'Halloran has done the cup finals before.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
While I dont want to see the Sharks win vs the Avalanche, the team I despise the most is the Stars going back to when we had to play them every bloody playoffs. A close second is the Sharks and will be trashing them equally throughout this 2nd round. I have the Avs to beat the Sharks and the Blues to beat the Stars with the Blues going all the way to the Final. Jackets over the Bruins, Isles over the Canes, Jackets over the Isles, Jackets over the Blues (Blues vs Blue Jackets - a midwest Stanley Cup Final that should do wonders for NBC and SN ratings LOL) with the SCW the Blue Jackets!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
2zb4uq.gif

Posting this again, because it doesn't get old :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
NHL felt the heat after that major on Eakin. Vet ref O'Halloran, who worked that game, is done for the playoffs.

NHL Referees and Linesmen for Round 2 of 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Scouting The Refs

Out from Round 1: Eric Furlatt, Trevor Hanson, Jean Hebert, Chris Lee, Jon McIsaac, Brad Meier, Dan O’Halloran, Kyle Rehman

Tonight’s NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Referees and Linesmen – 4/23/19 - Scouting The Refs

Furlatt and O'Halloran reffed that game, and they are both done. O'Halloran has done the cup finals before.

So the NHL acknowledges the mistake, but won't put into place monitoring that would pre-empt, in real time, the ridiculous call.

We need more than a war room. We need active monitoring. There aren't many situations in which a call is this blatantly wrong, but there should be spotters in each playoff game monitoring and with the ability to veto a call or consult a call on the ice. One sane individual in the crowd, and experienced ex official or somebody like that could have mitigated this. Could have called down and said no, under no circumstance is that a major.

As a result of that no occurring, the wrong team advanced to the next round of the playoffs and may even go onto win the cup. Vegas gets to leak their wounds and with salt thrown on them knowing that the NHL rebuked the officials severely, just that it doesn't impact their result at all. Not even a sorry card in the mail..

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm cheering against SJ since I hate Couture and they don't deserve to be in the 2nd round

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Helluva first round. The only result I didn’t like was Canes over Caps. But, now that that’s in the books, looking for Canes, Stars and Sharks to bow out.

Still rooting for a Blues (or Avs but would like a new team to win) vs Blue Jackets SCF.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm cheering against SJ since I hate Couture and they don't deserve to be in the 2nd round

How much people hate that horse teethed brat almost makes me like him :)

I don't know why, but I can't help but want to see those 2 cave man bearded guys lifting the cup. Strictly for the sake of humour.

Reactions: LaGu and Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So the NHL acknowledges the mistake, but won't put into place monitoring that would pre-empt, in real time, the ridiculous call.

We need more than a war room. We need active monitoring. There aren't many situations in which a call is this blatantly wrong, but there should be spotters in each playoff game monitoring and with the ability to veto a call or consult a call on the ice. One sane individual in the crowd, and experienced ex official or somebody like that could have mitigated this. Could have called down and said no, under no circumstance is that a major.

As a result of that no occurring, the wrong team advanced to the next round of the playoffs and may even go onto win the cup. Vegas gets to leak their wounds and with salt thrown on them knowing that the NHL rebuked the officials severely, just that it doesn't impact their result at all. Not even a sorry card in the mail..

In the event where a player is seriously injured, like Pavelski was and not one person in stripes on the ice saw what happened, that's where video review of the events leading up to the injury should be reviewed. Then proper punishment, if any, could be assessed.

For two veteran savy refs as O'Halloran and Furlatt to just assess a 5 and a game was a pretty bad judgement call. But in the heat of the moment and Pavelski laying there out cold and bleeding from the head, they made a judgement call based on the (little) evidence they had. I'm sure they felt like they were 3 inches tall once they saw the full replay.

I don't fault them for making the judgement they did, even if it turned out to be the wrong one by going too stiff on the assessed penalty at the far end of the spectrum. Had Vegas killed it off, or only allowed one or two goals and held on to win, I wonder if this is even an issue.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
How much people hate that horse teethed brat almost makes me like him :)

I don't know why, but I can't help but want to see those 2 cave man bearded guys lifting the cup. Strictly for the sake of humour.

Huh, yeah honestly I wouldn’t hate to see it either. I know I wanted them to win over Pittsburgh in 2015. But then I’d like most teams to win over the Pens anyhow.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hard to pick a team to hate at the moment. The only team that has a cup in the last decade is Boston and they represent hope for success post-Chia.

After that there are only 2 others have won in the 21st century so there isn't much contempt out there except the flopping Sharks (and even that isn't major contempt).

Small contempt for Dallas because of the 90s but that's long gone so I'm okay with them but would rather St.Louis advance.
Small contempt for Colorado for their dominance on us decades ago, but after them knocking out the Flames I'm cool with them smoking the Sharks as well.
Small contempt for Carolina for 2006, but the current team is kind of likeable.

All in all, pretty much all beefs got squashed in the first round, so may the best team win from here.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Go Avs! People still crying about the Vegas series hahaha sound like leaf fans. They blew a 3-1 series lead and allowed four PPGs. Reset in OT and still lost. Also lost in OT on a power play the game before. It’s their fault they are out plain and simple.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Jackets and Blues and no one, I just hope entertainment continues.

Edit: A really good friend is a massive Canes fan (carry over fan from the Whalers) so I've got a soft spot for them for him and for how fun their team is.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Go Avs! People still crying about the Vegas series hahaha sound like leaf fans. They blew a 3-1 series lead and allowed four PPGs. Reset in OT and still lost. Also lost in OT on a power play the game before. It’s their fault they are out plain and simple.

Disagree. Knights got 60 sog in game 6, deserved to win in regulation time, and outshot the Sharks 2-1 in the game. The only reason they lost was goaltending. The only reason.

FF to game 7 and away from home they are up 3-0 with 10mins left until the officials lose their mind and hand them a major penalty. Without which the Knights win, and are still playing.

The NHL has even acknowledged the grievous error by ensuring the officials involved don't work another game, but its according to you the Knights fault, plain and simple..

Reactions: McDrai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Disagree. Knights got 60 sog in game 6, deserved to win in regulation time, and outshot the Sharks 2-1 in the game. The only reason they lost was goaltending. The only reason.

FF to game 7 and away from home they are up 3-0 with 10mins left until the officials lose their mind and hand them a major penalty. Without which the Knights win, and are still playing.

The NHL has even acknowledged the grievous error by ensuring the officials involved don't work another game, but its according to you the Knights fault, plain and simple..
It is the knights fault. Or was the goalie and PK not knight players? Twice in Playoff history has 4 goals on one penalty happened. But no it’s the reffs. Go cheer for the leafs.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It is the knights fault. Or was the goalie and PK not knight players? Twice in Playoff history has 4 goals on one penalty happened. But no it’s the reffs. Go cheer for the leafs.

Was it the Knights fault that they let in 4 goals on a 5 minute penalty? Yes.
Should they have been put in that situation? No
Would they have won the game if the refs had proper judgement? Most likely yes (barring an Oilers type collapse).

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Was it the Knights fault that they let in 4 goals on a 5 minute penalty? Yes.
Should they have been put in that situation? No
Would they have won the game if the refs had proper judgement? Most likely yes (barring an Oilers type collapse).
Would have they won the game if they even had an okay PK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->