GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part V

Which team are you cheering against now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
It is the knights fault. Or was the goalie and PK not knight players? Twice in Playoff history has 4 goals on one penalty happened. But no it’s the reffs. Go cheer for the leafs.
Absolutely, the Knights can suck it! They’ve had nothing but success and now they know how it feels to be a real franchise with some playoff calls that don’t go their way.... Go Avs!

Reactions: bone

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It is the knights fault. Or was the goalie and PK not knight players? Twice in Playoff history has 4 goals on one penalty happened. But no it’s the reffs. Go cheer for the leafs.
It was an atrocious call and if it happened to the Oilers we'd be talking about it in 2029.

Anyway, MacKinnon will be more than a match for the Sharks and Jones will flake out like he always does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Its the Knights fault they were shorthanded for a major penalty that the NHL has acknowledged shouldn't have occurred (having severely reprimanded the officials involved)

Interesting and selective opinion that hardly anybody shares. Not even the NHL, as it were..

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was it the Knights fault that they let in 4 goals on a 5 minute penalty? Yes.
Should they have been put in that situation? No
Would they have won the game if the refs had proper judgement? Most likely yes (barring an Oilers type collapse).

Ultimately, the Sharks can thank the refs for the opportunity, but Vegas needs to own their share of the responsibility. At any point during that PK, the coach could have tried something different, or Fleury could have made a big save, or they could have scored on their 2 on 1, or the team could have at least done anything more to stop that onslaught. But they didn't, and it's not like history is full of 4 goals being scored on a 5 minute powerplay suggesting that this was even close to likely. They needed to be better.

Credit to them they did at least tie it back up after, so they still had a chance to win and didn't pull it off.

I'd like to say the only thing that sucked as badly as that horrible call was the penalty kill the Knights demonstrated after that call.

PS. Did anyone think Pavelski may have been trying to embellish the original hit a bit with disastrous consequences. He seemed to have flown way too far off balance for such a quick shove.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It was an atrocious call and if it happened to the Oilers we'd be talking about it in 2029.

Anyway, MacKinnon will be more than a match for the Sharks and Jones will flake out like he always does.
We do talk about the pad holding still. The Oilers also completely imploded before that goal. Thus that loss wasn’t on the reffs.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So the NHL acknowledges the mistake, but won't put into place monitoring that would pre-empt, in real time, the ridiculous call.

We need more than a war room. We need active monitoring. There aren't many situations in which a call is this blatantly wrong, but there should be spotters in each playoff game monitoring and with the ability to veto a call or consult a call on the ice. One sane individual in the crowd, and experienced ex official or somebody like that could have mitigated this. Could have called down and said no, under no circumstance is that a major.

As a result of that no occurring, the wrong team advanced to the next round of the playoffs and may even go onto win the cup. Vegas gets to leak their wounds and with salt thrown on them knowing that the NHL rebuked the officials severely, just that it doesn't impact their result at all. Not even a sorry card in the mail..
Vegas should of played better.

They had a 3-1 series lead aswell.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think there really is anyone that I'm cheering against now. Which will be nice. Most playoff pools are screwed, so I can now just enjoy the rest of the playoffs.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Vegas should of played better.

They had a 3-1 series lead aswell.
Vegas should have played better?

They're playing a Stanley Cup favorite club in the first round and outshot them 59-29 in game 6. How could a team play better? They didn't get a sniff in that game despite controlling the vast majority of it. It was hardly like it was a disappointing performance. It was one of the better efforts, in game 6, of any team in the playoffs. They lose it in OT because Fleury is sleeping back there with all the inaction.

Then Vegas gets jobbed by the NHL with 10mins left in game 7 on a horrible major penalty call. Without which they win that deciding game on the road.

Like I said even if the Sharks get a 2min PP there its only one PP goal, not 4, and the teams are back at EV where the Knights had stymied the Sharks. But instead its a major, in a 7th game, in a critical moment for the Sharks who are an explosive club. But who were imploding without that man advantage.

I can see a minor penalty, maybe even a double. But 5? No way. That's the NHL's fault and nobody else.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Vegas should have played better?

They're playing a Stanley Cup favorite club in the first round and outshot them 59-29 in game 6. How could a team play better? They didn't get a sniff in that game despite controlling the vast majority of it. It was hardly like it was a disappointing performance. It was one of the better efforts, in game 6, of any team in the playoffs. They lose it in OT because Fleury is sleeping back there with all the inaction.

Then Vegas gets jobbed by the NHL with 10mins left in game 7 on a horrible major penalty call. Without which they win that deciding game on the road.

Like I said even if the Sharks get a 2min PP there its only one PP goal, not 4, and the teams are back at EV where the Knights had stymied the Sharks. But instead its a major, in a 7th game, in a critical moment for the Sharks who are an explosive club. But who were imploding without that man advantage.

I can see a minor penalty, maybe even a double. But 5? No way. That's the NHL's fault and nobody else.
Fleury is part of the team, Vegas should of played better.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don't think there really is anyone that I'm cheering against now. Which will be nice. Most playoff pools are screwed, so I can now just enjoy the rest of the playoffs.
Very true. I have Pastrnak and MacKinnon left in my pool and that’s it. If Pastrnak wakes up and MacKinnon continues to shine that’s my only hope.
A :bruinsvs:avsfinal please. :fence:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fleury is part of the team, Vegas should of played better.

Fleury should have played better is singular attribution, and I totally agree. But you stated Vegas (defers to team) should have played better.

Unfortunately hockey is a team sport and goaltending is crucial, and bends some results, like game 6. But Vegas had 20 players rowing in game 6.7. that don't get a result, through no fault of their own. You can't play better than Vegas did there, that's why its going to be so hard for any of those players. Particularly for newer Knights like Stone and Paccioretti who have been among the 10 best players in the league in the first round.

meh, its sports, heartbreaks happen, but how Vegas lost this series is epic in that the team itself can't really point fingers or even know why they lost or learn from it. Theres nothing really they could have done better. Short of being better in net. But that's unforeseen as well as Fleury is hard to predict.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Holy shit, there are posts in the leafs board questioning if Babcock has a mental illness.

Jesus, some people just take this sport waaaaay too seriously.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How could anybody not despise the Bruins who begat us Chiarelli. Man, that club is first on my list after ABC. Despise anything associated with the Bruins.

If this playoffs though, has demonstrated anything its that Regular season results (other than making playoffs) matters very little. I wonder how much casual fans get turned off by that. I mean why even follow a club closely through 82 games if those results are so demonstrably window dressing? I don't mind the upsets, don't get me wrong, but If I'm betting than its gotten to the point that the playoffs favor the clubs that paced themselves through the regular season and who took breaks during the regular season.

In a parity capped NHL the Presidents Trophy has never been more meaningless.

Another facet is the East being better than the West this season appears to be pure illusion. All the WC games have been better played, Sharks/Knights was unlike anything in the East, and of the remaining clubs Sharks, Stars, AV's, Blues look on while Eastern clubs advanced seemingly on default. In the case of all of Tampa, Pens, Caps, it was those teams falling down. In the West only the Flames laid down. In the East its been pretty much the rule.

I think most of the SC faves are in WC now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How could anybody not despise the Bruins who begat us Chiarelli. Man, that club is first on my list after ABC. Despise anything associated with the Bruins.

If this playoffs though, has demonstrated anything its that Regular season results (other than making playoffs) matters very little. I wonder how much casual fans get turned off by that. I mean why even follow a club closely through 82 games if those results are so demonstrably window dressing? I don't mind the upsets, don't get me wrong, but If I'm betting than its gotten to the point that the playoffs favor the clubs that paced themselves through the regular season and who took breaks during the regular season.

In a parity capped NHL the Presidents Trophy has never been more meaningless.

Another facet is the East being better than the West this season appears to be pure illusion. All the WC games have been better played, Sharks/Knights was unlike anything in the East, and of the remaining clubs Sharks, Stars, AV's, Blues look on while Eastern clubs advanced seemingly on default. In the case of all of Tampa, Pens, Caps, it was those teams falling down. In the West only the Flames laid down. In the East its been pretty much the rule.

I think most of the SC faves are in WC now.
I mean they beat the Leafs.

That said I'm cheering for CBJ in round two.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Fleury should have played better is singular attribution, and I totally agree. But you stated Vegas (defers to team) should have played better.

Unfortunately hockey is a team sport and goaltending is crucial, and bends some results, like game 6. But Vegas had 20 players rowing in game 6.7. that don't get a result, through no fault of their own. You can't play better than Vegas did there, that's why its going to be so hard for any of those players. Particularly for newer Knights like Stone and Paccioretti who have been among the 10 best players in the league in the first round.

meh, its sports, heartbreaks happen, but how Vegas lost this series is epic in that the team itself can't really point fingers or even know why they lost or learn from it. Theres nothing really they could have done better. Short of being better in net. But that's unforeseen as well as Fleury is hard to predict.
There’s nothing they could have done better besides being better in net? Again I say how about not having a historic collapse on the PK. That’s THE TEAM. Anyways we are going around in circles. Agree to disagree.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Go Avs! People still crying about the Vegas series hahaha sound like leaf fans. They blew a 3-1 series lead and allowed four PPGs. Reset in OT and still lost. Also lost in OT on a power play the game before. It’s their fault they are out plain and simple.
This is a dumb take and you probably wouldn't feel this way if it were the Oilers or any other team you cheer for. You're acting like Vegas didn't completely dominate game 6 and you're trying to fault the team when in reality it was a single players fault that game was lost (Fleury). I honestly don't understand the rationale of people who actually try to pretend like the refs didn't totally f*** the Knights over. Did you feel the same way when the Oilers lost game 5 to Anaheim because the refs blatantly ignored the GI on their equalizing goal?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This is a dumb take and you probably wouldn't feel this way if it were the Oilers or any other team you cheer for. You're acting like Vegas didn't completely dominate game 6 and you're trying to fault the team when in reality it was a single players fault that game was lost (Fleury). I honestly don't understand the rationale of people who actually try to pretend like the refs didn't totally **** the Knights over. Did you feel the same way when the Oilers lost game 5 to Anaheim because the refs blatantly ignored the GI on their equalizing goal?
I already mentioned the Oilers situation. Doesn’t change the fact that the reffs AND Vegas dropped the ball. Bye bye knights. Probably should work on the PK in the off season. It’s also a dumb take to blame that blown series completely on the reffs. Take your bias goggles off.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This is a dumb take and you probably wouldn't feel this way if it were the Oilers or any other team you cheer for. You're acting like Vegas didn't completely dominate game 6 and you're trying to fault the team when in reality it was a single players fault that game was lost (Fleury). I honestly don't understand the rationale of people who actually try to pretend like the refs didn't totally **** the Knights over. Did you feel the same way when the Oilers lost game 5 to Anaheim because the refs blatantly ignored the GI on their equalizing goal?

For myself, I'm only commenting on Game 7 as Game 6 was still at least a teammate.

100% the refs jobbed Vegas, as the refs jobbed Edmonton a couple times in the Anaheim series.

The difference to me is that when the Oilers were jobbed by the replay in Game 5, it was on the tying goal in the dying seconds. If that gets called goalie interference, the faceoff goes outside the zone with 15 seconds to go and the Oilers almost certainly win that game and earn 2 opportunities to close out the series. Granted the Oilers crapped the bed in the previous 4 minutes allowing for that to happen so they own some or most of the responsibility, but the final straw was the official's mistake.

For the Vegas one, the score was 3-0 with 10 minutes to go. The refs screwed Vegas royally, but all they needed to do to preserve the lead or a tie was to not have a record tying amount of goals against on a 5-minute powerplay. Furthermore, there was still 5 minutes after the powerplay so they had time to get back into it and to their credit, they did, but couldn't finish it off in overtime. As such, the refs own some or most of the responsibility, but the final straw was Vegas' response.

Both cases are terribly unjust to the team that lost, but Vegas' response was much worse to that mistake. That is why I feel the mistake Tuesday, though game altering, wasn't the game deciding matter as multiple things had to happen after to create that result.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad