GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Will it be 4 goals on the same major penalty funny? Or series lead blown funny? Or how about losing in OT with a man advantage funny?

LOL, yup soccer has such great officiating. Soccer is more popular for many reasons (like the fact that you can be dirt poor and live anywhere in the world and play it, unlike hockey), but officiating is not likely to be one of them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Holy shoot! I turned that game off and went to bed when it was 3 nothing Vegas. Just looked at sportsnet. Now i have to hunt down a video of this 5 minute cross checking penalty.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The Sharks were dead in the water prior to that call. You can’t make that call in that game unless you’re certain. This is part of the reason the NHL is a second tier league and frequently loses to the MLS.
NHL is on par with WWE in the US, and this game showed why.
The panel even said the refs were berated by Thornton and the fans, and were Scared into making the call....it was pretty obvious.
And you're right a game 7 with SJ down 3 goals, that was a momentum shift call, and the officiating dictated the outcome.

Reactions: TB12

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Rarely do calls that egregious happen in other leagues. And of course the refs won’t be held accountable. The standard in this league is laughably low.

Egregious calls like last night happen in every sport. As a Detroit Lions fan, my team has been on the receiving end of garbage calls in important moments many times. A few NBA refs were accused of fixing games, soccer has had some absurd calls made in World Cups. Happens in every sport.

As bad as the call was last night, how about not letting in 4 freaking goals in one PP?

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
NHL is on par with WWE in the US, and this game showed why.
The panel even said the refs were berated by Thornton and the fans, and were Scared into making the call....it was pretty obvious.
And you're right a game 7 with SJ down 3 goals, that was a momentum shift call, and the officiating dictated the outcome.
The WWE feels more real at times. They had ample time to review their call but were scared by the garbage being littered on the ice. How do they not at least look at the footage? Within minutes social media could tell it wasn't a major.

Egregious calls like last night happen in every sport. As a Detroit Lions fan, my team has been on the receiving end of garbage calls in important moments many times. A few NBA fans were accused of fixing games, soccer has had some absurd calls made in World Cups. Happens in every sport.

As bad as the call was last night, how about not letting in 4 freaking goals in one PP?
If it happened to the Oilers (and it has a few times over the past decade), you'd be just as mad.

The NHL isn't competent enough to fix games. This is actually worse.

On Ryan Smyth’s Five Minute Elbowing Penalty

I know it's an old one but remember this gem?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If it happened to the Oilers (and it has a few times over the past decade), you'd be just as mad.

The NHL isn't competent enough to fix games. This is actually worse.

On Ryan Smyth’s Five Minute Elbowing Penalty

I know it's an old one but remember this gem?

You said that calls this egregious rarely happen in other leagues and that's incorrect, just ask fans of other sports and they'll tell you.

I'm not saying that it wasn't an awful call. I am saying that Vegas also failed miserably to let up 2 or less goals on a PK. Awful call, awful PK.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You said that calls this egregious rarely happen in other leagues and that's incorrect, just ask fans of other sports and they'll tell you.

I'm not saying that it wasn't an awful call. I am saying that Vegas also failed miserably to let up 2 or less goals on a PK. Awful call, awful PK.
A call like that changes the complexion of the game. The Sharks were out for blood after seeing their captain go down. Before that they looked stunned that they were losing. Momentum is everything.

A bad call can change things. The Oilers were toast in Game 5 once they allowed Kesler to pull open Talbot's pads. Never underestimate the wave of emotion in a game because prior to that call the Sharks had none.

Reactions: booyakasha

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
So, Pavelski doesn't play that face off that smart, he wins it clearly and is looking backwards at the play. Still, Eakin goes for the box out by lunging about a yard with a full on cross check. Pavelski, not looking at the play falls awkwardly and bangs his head (getting hurt on the play). With the NHL's (admittedly inconsistent) focus on head injuries and reading the cross-check rule, how is this an egregious call?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sure hope Matthews is hurt. No way he should only be only playing 6 minutes a period in a game like that. Even Hyman was bumped to 7 minutes from his 5, but Matthews played damn near the same amount he played in the 1st and 2nd.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A call like that changes the complexion of the game. The Sharks were out for blood after seeing their captain go down. Before that they looked stunned that they were losing. Momentum is everything.

A bad call can change things. The Oilers were toast in Game 5 once they allowed Kesler to pull open Talbot's pads. Never underestimate the wave of emotion in a game because prior to that call the Sharks had none.

Yes, the bad call changed the momentum but kill a damn penalty or don't let up 4!!!! goals on one PP. I've called the Oilers out for this too when the board was moaning about the refs (unjustifiably at times) and they would let in a soul crushing PP goal. Awful goals happen, you still need to perform to overcome them. Remember the Yakupov slide goal? Awful call on Nuge, the Oilers persevered and won that game in OT and it rarely got a mention again.

As far as the Kesler interference is concerned. How about not blowing a 3-0 lead in the final minute to even let it come down to that or score in the OT and put it all to rest. It was a garbage call that should have been heavily criticized but that's not the only reason the Oilers lost that game and series.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So, Pavelski doesn't play that face off that smart, he wins it clearly and is looking backwards at the play. Still, Eakin goes for the box out by lunging about a yard with a full on cross check. Pavelski, not looking at the play falls awkwardly and bangs his head (getting hurt on the play). With the NHL's (admittedly inconsistent) focus on head injuries and reading the cross-check rule, how is this an egregious call?
Eakin cross-checked Pavelski in the chest and the latter lost his balance, hitting his head on the ice. It's a 2 minute penalty that morphed into a 5 minute because of pressure from the home crowd. Eakin did not hit Pavelski in the head.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes, the bad call changed the momentum but kill a damn penalty or don't let up 4!!!! goals on one PP. I've called the Oilers out for this too when the board was moaning about the refs (unjustifiably at times) and they would let in a soul crushing PP goal. Awful goals happen, you still need to perform to overcome them. Remember the Yakupov slide goal? Awful call on Nuge, the Oilers persevered and won that game in OT and it rarely got a mention again.

As far as the Kesler interference is concerned. How about not blowing a 3-0 lead in the final minute to even let it come down to that or score in the OT and put it all to rest. It was a garbage call that should have been heavily criticized but that's not the only reason the Oilers lost that game and series.
Again, it shouldn't have happened. Did you think the Sharks weren't going to go full tilt in that scenario? They just got injected with a huge amount of adrenaline. If that happened in the Leafs game there's no doubt in my mind Toronto would've taken over the game from there. Even if the Sharks didn't score 4 on the PP they still had the momentum and would've tied and won the game regardless. The Knights had all the life sucked out of them.

They had several minutes to debate the call. How did they not look at the replay? The NHL and refs should be embarrassed that they made a call based on emotion without gathering all the facts. The officiating wilted under pressure from the home crowd. Always a good thing to happen, right? Is this what you want from the league?

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Eakin cross-checked Pavelski in the chest and the latter lost his balance, hitting his head on the ice. It's a 2 minute penalty that morphed into a 5 minute because of pressure from the home crowd. Eakin did not hit Pavelski in the head.

Or they used the same logic as boarding, with a head injury (however minor) leading to a 5 minute major and a misconduct. Admittedly, the rules aren't written exactly the same, so I can understand questioning if the same criteria should be used.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Again, it shouldn't have happened. Did you think the Sharks weren't going to go full tilt in that scenario? They just got injected with a huge amount of adrenaline. If that happened in the Leafs game there's no doubt in my mind Toronto would've taken over the game from there. Even if the Sharks didn't score 4 on the PP they still had the momentum and would've tied and won the game regardless. The Knights had all the life sucked out of them.

They had several minutes to debate the call. How did they not look at the replay? The NHL and refs should be embarrassed that they made a call based on emotion without gathering all the facts. The officiating wilted under pressure from the home crowd. Always a good thing to happen, right? Is this what you want from the league?
so did the Vegas PK

we get it...it's an extremely bad call
but sense in crying about it now...kill the GD penalty and stop crying about it

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Or they used the same logic as boarding, with a head injury (however minor) leading to a 5 minute major and a misconduct. Admittedly, the rules aren't written exactly the same, so I can understand questioning if the same criteria should be used.
The head injury happened because Pavelski lost his balance. It's a terrible call to make. It's a 2 minute penalty at most. Unfortunately hitting your head against the ice is something that happens in the game of hockey. I certainly feel bad for Pavelski (I like him a lot) but the refs crumbled under pressure from the garbage-throwing SJ fans to make a call that would sate them.

It's a bad look for the league that already has many bad looks.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so did the Vegas PK

we get it...it's an extremely bad call
but sense in crying about it now...kill the GD penalty and stop crying about it
Emotion is a powerful thing.

I certainly do not look forward to the day where something like this happens to the Oilers again. Just imagine if Game 5 was at home and not in Anaheim...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The head injury happened because Pavelski lost his balance. It's a terrible call to make. It's a 2 minute penalty at most. Unfortunately hitting your head against the ice is something that happens in the game of hockey. I certainly feel bad for Pavelski (I like him a lot) but the refs crumbled under pressure from the garbage-throwing SJ fans to make a call that would sate them.

It's a bad look for the league that already has many bad looks.

A bad look but not as bad as a PK that couldn’t stop a beach ball from entering the net or a blown 3-1 series lead. Vegas just comes off as a bunch of whiners now. Take care of business in Game 6 overtime and the ref doesn’t get the chance to impact the game.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They didn't get the life sucked out of them, They tied up the game with under a minute to go after creating a bushel of scoring chances and had many opportunities to win it in OT.

Again, I'm not defending the call but you act like bad calls just started occurring in the NHL or that it's only exclusive to the NHL. Bad momentum changing calls have been happening in sports for decades. Hell, a Stanley Cup winning goal 20 years ago was decided on a bad goal, Hull in the crease. A playoff series in 2002 with Lakers-Kings was pretty much fixed. I can go on and on really.

It it what it is, no use dwelling on it and there's nothing that can be done about it unless you want MORE reviews or robots to start reffing games. It was a really bad call, shit happens. Such is life with human error in a very fast paced game where judgment calls are made on the fly. I'd be pissed if I was a Knights fan but it's not the only reason they lost the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad