GDT: Around the League: Playoff Edition Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Where did I say that?

Vegas lost the series. They had their chances.

But you simply can't make that call at that time without all the facts. It was an atrocious call and that ref should be reprimanded. But given that the NHL is run like the Oilers, he'll probably oversee officiating for the remainder of the playoffs.
you said the crowd played a part in the call

which I 100% disagree with

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
you said the crowd played a part in the call

which I 100% disagree with
I said that it likely influenced the refs to make the call they did. Again, that call would not be made in the away rink. I'm calling the refs cowards.

If the crowd knew a major was coming do you think they'd litter the ice?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You think the NHL isn't stupid and incompetent? You think a pitiful ref wouldn't cover his own ass? This is a league that allows owners to destroy their teams, after all.

You think a coach is telling the gospel truth at each press conference? You think a pitiful coach wouldn't cover his own ass? This is a league that allows coaches to engage in gamesmanship and all is fair in love and playoffs!

In the end, Vegas failed to close. That is called a choke. When you blow a 3-1 series lead, lose a Game 6 on a >>>shorthanded goal in overtime<<< dont cry about how you got jobbed by a ref. Own your failure and stop whining about the fact a ref gave the other team 5 minutes on a questionable call that your team failed to deal.

Reactions: frag2

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Where did I say that?

Vegas lost the series. They had their chances.

But you simply can't make that call at that time without all the facts. It was an atrocious call and that ref should be reprimanded. But given that the NHL is run like the Oilers, he'll probably oversee officiating for the remainder of the playoffs.

I dont disagree but you cant have a video review for every blown call and for every situation or just dont play the games as they would be unwatchable. Video review now is an absolute joke.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You think a coach is telling the gospel truth at each press conference? You think a pitiful coach wouldn't cover his own ass? This is a league that allows coaches to engage in gamesmanship and all is fair in love and playoffs!

In the end, Vegas failed to close. That is called a choke. When you blow a 3-1 series lead, lose a Game 6 on a >>>shorthanded goal in overtime<<< dont cry about how you got jobbed by a ref. Own your failure and stop whining about the fact a ref gave the other team 5 minutes on a questionable call that your team failed to deal.
What does he have to gain from lying? His team is done. He's not going anywhere. Gallant is an excellent coach and I would take him on my team any day. Hilariously he's doing exactly what people bitched about McLellan NOT doing.

Vegas had game 7 handily and then a terrible call changed the game. Yes it's on them to kill it but that doesn't excuse the awful call in the first place. The NHL needs to hold its officials accountable. Or do you like seeing McDavid get interfered with 20 times a game with no action?

Reactions: TB12

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I dont disagree but you cant have a video review for every blown call and for every situation or just dont play the games as they would be unwatchable. Video review now is an absolute joke.
It's only a joke in certain circumstances. This was a serious injury to a player and the ref wrongly jumped to a conclusion based on emotion. They wouldn't have had to look at it for any longer than it took to get Pavelski off the ice. If you're going to call a major you better be damn well sure the penalty is correct.

And they should be reviewing calls off the ice anyway. The NHL should look closer at its officiating and take them aside, showing them blown or incorrect calls. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You can't afford to have shitty calls like that one. What do you think people are discussing today?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Gerard Gallant in full whine mode. Refs cost them the series? I’d say his PK hitting the ****ter for 5 mins cost them the series. Or maybe his lack of calling a time out in he middle of a full on Shark assault cost them the series. Or maybe his team folding under 5 minutes of adversity cost them the series.

Teams overcome adversity to win. His didn’t. He is partly to blame.

I guess the refs caused them to blow a 3-1 series lead and allowed San Jose to score a shorthanded OT winner in game 6 too. I've always liked Gallant but that's pretty lame.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What does he have to gain from lying? His team is done. He's not going anywhere. Gallant is an excellent coach and I would take him on my team any day. Hilariously he's doing exactly what people *****ed about McLellan NOT doing.

Vegas had game 7 handily and then a terrible call changed the game. Yes it's on them to kill it but that doesn't excuse the awful call in the first place. The NHL needs to hold its officials accountable. Or do you like seeing McDavid get interfered with 20 times a game with no action?

He takes the heat off his team choking that is what it accomplishes. Hilariously he did exactly what people bitched about what also McClellan did NOT do, and that is NOT calling a time out when your team is folding under pressure.

Vegas also had Game 6 and blew it on a crappy shorthanded goal in overtime.

You cant correlate McDavid getting interfered with 2o times a game with a 5 minute major off a cross checking penalty that caused a major injury.

And it seems to me if you are then you are calling for video review after every whistle for every infraction and that isn't practical.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's only a joke in certain circumstances. This was a serious injury to a player and the ref wrongly jumped to a conclusion based on emotion. They wouldn't have had to look at it for any longer than it took to get Pavelski off the ice. If you're going to call a major you better be damn well sure the penalty is correct.

And they should be reviewing calls off the ice anyway. The NHL should look closer at its officiating and take them aside, showing them blown or incorrect calls. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You can't afford to have ****ty calls like that one. What do you think people are discussing today?

The NHL does review the officials after each game. If you want perfection you need to find a different planet.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It's interesting, when I was a kid the games had one referee, no command center, very limited reviews, limited replays and just 2 cameras to cover the whole game and yet these types of major ref errors were (in my recollection) rarer than they are today.

It underlines how technology does not necessarily mean a better product. The human element is still superior and you can't replace a very talented and experienced referee with multiple officials and cameras.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He takes the heat off his team choking that is what it accomplishes. Hilariously he did exactly what people *****ed about what also McClellan did NOT do, and that is NOT calling a time out when your team is folding under pressure.

Vegas also had Game 6 and blew it on a crappy shorthanded goal in overtime.

You cant correlate McDavid getting interfered with 2o times a game with a 5 minute major off a cross checking penalty that caused a major injury.

And it seems to me if you are then you are calling for video review after every whistle for every infraction and that isn't practical.
But it was Pavelski hitting the ice that caused the injury, not him getting hit in the first place.

I'm not calling for reviews on every single play. I'm calling for accountability on shitty reffing.

If you don't want Gallant then I don't know what's wrong with you. He'd be the best coach this team has had in 30 years.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's interesting, when I was a kid the games had one referee, no command center, very limited reviews, limited replays and just 2 cameras to cover the whole game and yet these types of major ref errors were (in my recollection) rarer than they are today.

It underlines how technology does not necessarily mean a better product. The human element is still superior and you can't replace a very talented and experienced referee with multiple officials and cameras.

Cameras actually make the game worse, and that's been said by many in the game. Now every little mistake is caught, every word said on the ice is caught, and thanks to social media every mistake and word is magnified and amplified x 1000.

No matter how you slice it there will be mistakes in a game by referees no matter how many cameras and video challenges and command centres you have.

Just dont allow 4 power play goals in less than 5 minutes when it happens.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Eakin was gifted a high sticked goal, we cant forget that. It was fair reffing (or the fairest you can get)

If you give up 4 goals on a 5-minute powerplay, you deserve to get bounced, no ifs ands or buts. Every cup winner has found way to overcome the same sort of adversity

The absolute worst thing we could do is put in MORE review FFS. Refs are humans and not immune to mistakes. Its ok to have mistakes in sports. The one way to kill the buzz watching hockey is to have friggen 6 reviews each period to check in on a potential missed high stick. Offside reviews are already brutal enough, but thankfully only occur periodically. Penalty reviews would be an unmitigated disaster since they would occur all the time

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cameras actually make the game worse, and that's been said by many in the game. Now every little mistake is caught, every word said on the ice is caught, and thanks to social media every mistake and word is magnified and amplified x 1000.

No matter how you slice it there will be mistakes in a game by referees no matter how many cameras and video challenges and command centres you have.

Just dont allow 4 power play goals in less than 5 minutes when it happens.

This 100%

These type of "missed calls" have always been made. In fact, reffing is far better now that it ever has been. Its just now we have instant replay from 5 different angles. If GIFs being spread on social media literally 2 minutes after event

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This 100%

These type of "missed calls" have always been made. In fact, reffing is far better now that it ever has been. Its just now we have instant replay from 5 different angles. If GIFs being spread on social media literally 2 minutes after event

Did you watch the Oilers this season?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Did you watch the Oilers this season?

Literally every team thinks that the refs are biased against them. Calgary fans think that the refs were out to get them in the Colorado series. EDM fans think Calgary gets the most slack from refs

Repeat this for every team

How many times do you watch an Oiler game and see a missed call that should have been against the Oilers and say "Why didnt you call that against us?!" Probably never. You only look for missed calls on us, never when it goes the other way. Vice Versa, the other teams fan do the exact same thing

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
But it was Pavelski hitting the ice that caused the injury, not him getting hit in the first place.

I'm not calling for reviews on every single play. I'm calling for accountability on ****ty reffing.

If you don't want Gallant then I don't know what's wrong with you. He'd be the best coach this team has had in 30 years.

Doesn't matter. The effect of the cross check is what matters. A player hitting the end boards on a boarding major is injured by the boards. Doesn't matter that the player was harmlessly shoved from behind. A player getting concussed when his head hits an elbow or after an illegal check his head hits the ice or the boards or the goalpost or another player, doesn't matter. Still deemed injured by the penalty.

I dont disagree but how do you implement accountability? The NHL reviews its refs now. The NHL has a reward system in place for good reffing now. We have 2 instances where we have video review and its universally hated by fans, players, coaches and GMs league wide.

I have never said I didn't want Gallant. I said I dont take a coach at his word when they are at the podium especially in the playoffs and especially when its as emotional as it was last night after a giant choke job. Gallant is an awesome coach and Id have him here in a heartbeat. But listen to coach pressers, they are lying all the time and contradicting each other and the refs constantly. Its part of the game and in playoffs its off the charts. Gallant is playing the game like a pro coach is supposed to play the game. I just dont like the whining post game. He should be talking about how they blew a 3-1 series lead, a Game 6 loss on a shortie, or a 3-0 lead on a bad PK. Instead he deflects because he is a players coach and will take the fine if need be in that particular circumstance. But I take Gallant to coach my team today and twice on Sundays.

And consider this. Ref or linesman in the split second he looks and he sees Pavelski on the ice unconscious and bleeding profusely from the ear, and remembers seeing Eakins stick near his head. In his perspective and angle it looks like Pavelski took a stick to the head. My take on this is the refs and linesmen gathered and one said he saw Eakins stick hit the head of Pavelski, incorrect but given the speed with which it happened, in a scramble, . A major injury resulted. Ergo its a 5 min major and GM.

IMO if they had the chance to review it with video, it is technically a cross check, a major injury resulted, they are mandated to throw the book at anything to do with the head, they quite possibly make the same call.

I agree it should have been 2 minutes as Stastny skated into him as he was falling over which twisted him over and made it 10 times worse, but it was still a penalty by the letter of the law that did result in a major injury so thats the way it goes.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Literally every team thinks that the refs are biased against them. Calgary fans think that the refs were out to get them in the Colorado series. EDM fans think Calgary gets the most slack from refs

Repeat this for every team
I don't think the refs are out to get anyone. That's giving them too much credit.

I do think they miss a ton of calls against McDavid. That is a concern. Unless watching him get interfered with constantly is entertaining to anyone.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't think the refs are out to get anyone. That's giving them too much credit.

I do think they miss a ton of calls against McDavid. That is a concern. Unless watching him get interfered with constantly is entertaining to anyone.

I absolutely agree on the missed calls on McDavid, but disagree that you can correlate what happened last night to the constant interference McDavid has to put up with. What we need is a Gallant to either stand at the mike and take the fine or someone in management to go public with their disgust and go to league offices in NYC a la Calgary with about 4 hours of video showing it and putting up a major fuss down there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

And they should be reviewing calls off the ice anyway. The NHL should look closer at its officiating and take them aside, showing them blown or incorrect calls. This is the Stanley Cup Playoffs. You can't afford to have ****ty calls like that one. What do you think people are discussing today?

You technically can't crosscheck a player in the chest right off the draw, so that's a legitimate penalty.

The fact that it caused injury elevated it to a major.

They did call the wrong player though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->