Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It's true, but I do wonder if most people that boo him even have a reason why at this point.

It's tradition, and not just the NHL. All sports commissioners get booed in their public appearances. Granted, many of them (like Bettman) have had legitimate reasons for said booing, so it's not like it's not for nothing.

Also, fans watch the sport for the players, and typically side with the players. Commissioners represent the owners. Thus, fans booing the commissioner is simply an extension of that "players vs. the owners" mentality.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I like how a lot of people blame Bettman for teams not being in small Canadian cities like Halifax and Regina but instead here and Phoenix. Like somehow that never would have happened if someone else was in charge. He's probably done more to save Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary. Because if I remember right Edmonton was damn close to relocating to Houston 20 years ago. Ottawa was close to bankruptcy at one point ,and I know Calgary was in trouble too at one point.

But no, we need more teams in Canada because everyone goes and if they don't it's because they are speaking with their wallets.

Everyone should give him a standing ovation at the next draft.

I’d love to see how he’d react.

I believe Vancouver is hosting the next draft. I highly doubt he will be receiving applause there.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Bettman has done a ton of great things for the game of game hockey. Including being what seems a big supporter of southern hockey thankfully. I know Canadiens hate that, but it’s how you grow the game nationally. He’s had our back here in Carolina through a lot of the crap we’ve dealt with over the years and I’m so thankful for that. Plus the game has grown pretty significantly and that’s a huge credit to him.

There are a lot negatives though, including him being the leader of multiple lockouts in his tenure at commish.

Overall as a Hurricanes fan I can’t hate the guy. Like I said he’s had our back. I’m pretty certain if Bettman wasn’t the commissioner during our recent sale a move could of been a real certainty... Quebec, Houston, Seattle were chomping at the bits. So as long as the Hurricanes remain here at home in Carolina I’ll be one of the few that don’t join in the booing of Bettman.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
My dislike for Bettman is solely because of the multiple lockouts. How can you be a successful commissioner if your business model is to close up your business every few years to negotiate concessions from the employees to save the owners from their own stupidity? Think back to the last lockout. Teams were claiming "Woe is me" but were lining up in droves to overpay Parise and Suter and get in just under the wire on the new rules.

The last lockout ended with the result being the 50/50 revenue split that we all knew was going to be the end result. The league does not mind shutting down the pre-New Years part of the season because of lower attendance and they still get their playoff money.

Bettman has been good for supporting southern markets.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Don't see Sheary as much of a domino. Meh middle-6 winger, maybe gets a 3rd/4th.

MB poster did make an interesting point:

Pens just cleared a Skinner's worth of Cap off the roster with Sheary + Hunwick ($5.25 million per year)...

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Don't see Sheary as much of a domino. Meh middle-6 winger, maybe gets a 3rd/4th

He isn't much, but it depends on the size of the deal. On its own, it would free up a LW spot to drop Hagelin down and have Skinner play with Malkin. Or, it fills a need for Buffalo to settle if they feel they can't seal the deal for Skinner, taking them out of the running. EDIT: Also, Sheary has a 3M cap hit, so it could just be a matter of freeing up some money.

I just think it's something to keep an eye on.

EDIT2:

EDIT3: Hunwick also makes 2.2M. So this saves Pittsburgh 5.2M and opens a spot on the left side.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
2019 1st + 2020 1st/Jarry/Sprong

It needs to hurt for the Canes to deal him in the division.

I don't necessarily disagree, but

This tweet doesn't completely refute that as the Penguins would probably work to extend him, but dealing Skinner to a team like Pittsburgh for a deal like that likely means you're not serious about contending next year anyway.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
2019 1st + 2020 1st/Jarry/Sprong

It needs to hurt for the Canes to deal him in the division.

Trading away late 1st round picks doesn't hurt JR. I guarantee you that.

Jarry isn't an upgrade on what the Canes have in their system.

I'd want the Canes to go full LA Rams and bring in all the undervalued stars. Add Kessel on top of Hamilton and let's roll the dice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad