Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't want Duchene right now. I like how this team sets up as-is. With Necas much closer to being an NHL player than anybody thought, and Aho transitioning to C within the next couple years, we don't need to be desperate in the long term for a center. In the short term, we're likely good enough to be in the running for a playoff spot and make a deadline deal when the time comes.

Having said that, if Detroit ends up having to trade Athanasiou, he would be a nice depth addition that wouldn't cost too much to acquire.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
It all comes down to your belief that this group of forwards is good enough to get you into the playoffs versus the belief that subtracting Hanifin and adding Duchene can get it done. I have faith in the former, but not the latter. And I know that sounds crazy, given that things aren't tremendously different than last year, but I never believed things needed to be tremendously different.

I agree with your assessment on Necas. Even if he isn't a true 1C, he's certainly good enough to be part of a three-2C team next year. At that point, the center position is adequately handled by what is already in the system, there's no need to move Aho off the wing, and there's no cause to trade any defensemen out of need. You then have the luxury of doing something baller like trade VRask + Bean/Fleury/Hanifin + 1st for a young center stud and you've done nothing to hurt your cap situation nor the quality of your lineup. Next year we will all have stiffies as we look over our asset landscape...Kuokkanen, Roy, Gauthier, and Bean will all either be making our NHL team better or another team will be licking their chops wanting them.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Curious to see how the Josh Anderson situation in Columbus is going to resolve. They seem to be okay without him. Wonder what the price tag is on that kind of move.

I've been wondering about that too. A big right winger that scored at a great rate with limited ice time, and isn't afraid to mix it up physically sounds pretty tempting to add. But he's got more than a couple red flags that I could see Francis being weary.

He shot over 14%, so it's possible for his scoring to dip even with more playing time. He's already in a contract hold out as a non arbitration eligible RFA, so how much is he really asking for, and does the team want to put up with that associated headache? And even if they have confidence in signing him fairly and moving forward, what would be the cost to trade for him within division? That seems like a lot of possible snags.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Well in fairness you need at least 6 of them... Skinner is clearly a top liner, Staal is a non-traditional one, and it's very possible Aho is one as well.

So we've got 3 "top line" guys. 9 middle 6 forwards wouldn't be bad...

OK, if we're selling Staal as a first-line NHL center, we're really not being objective anymore. We have one legit first-line NHL player. Aho is headed that way but not there, and despite his rookie season, not guaranteed of anything. I really didn't think we'd be at the point of having to prove we need a first-liner again, but alas ...

Reactions: Unsustainable

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
OK, if we're selling Staal as a first-line NHL center, we're really not being objective anymore. We have one legit first-line NHL player. Aho is headed that way but not there, and despite his rookie season, not guaranteed of anything. I really didn't think we'd be at the point of having to prove we need a first-liner again, but alas ...

Name 93 forwards better?

I'm guessing you're not a fancystats type guy?

Edit: went and factchecked myself, looks like our The Athletic season preview agrees with me, with those three and only those three being classified as top 93 forwards. Then three second liners.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Either Jagr has the laziest cat ever or he just spent hours finessing the perfect C3 (Cat + Cuervo + Cash) pic. I mean, the fact that he used $20s really just completes it for me.

I didn't know the Canes needed Jagr until this very moment. I won't take no for an answer at this point.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If there's anything Ive learned in life: millionaires are the biggest cheap asses in the world. No joke

You can take the boy out of Kladno....

It's true though. I knew a girl (when I lived in NC, actually) who was family friends with this old guy who was worth a lot of money. 11 million or 14 million I was told, can't remember which but one of those two. She brought me over there one time when she was feeding his pets while he was gone. He drove an old beater Plymouth sedan with rust holes in the doors and lived in this 2-bedroom tiny bungalow house looked that like it hadn't been remodeled since the late 60s/early 70s. The bathroom was about the size of a small walk-in closet and the furniture was all tattered and shabby. And it was about 85 degrees in the house, I assumed because he turned he A/C off being gone for the week, but then she was like "no it's always like that in here, he refuses to use the air conditioner even when somebody visits."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->