Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So apparently the Canes were one of the teams that have shown interest in Karlsson, at least back as far as at the deadline.

Also, just a weird thought, but when do teams usually ask a player for their "no trade teams list"? Do you think they already asked Karlsson? How long is it good for and can he change the list? The reason for the ask is that it is usually assumed that Florida is a popular place for UFAs, so it might be reasonable to assume that Karlsson may not have put them on his no trade list back at the deadline. But now, I'm guessing they would be front and center.

If Ottawa is looking for useful pieces with term (as in Hoffman for Boedker) in a Karlsson deal then the Canes are a pretty good match. Although I could see the negotiations getting stuck up from Ottawa's side on a guy like Necas or Svechnikov. Not sure what a final deal would look like but some combination of Faulk, Hanifin, and Lindholm could be good base pieces with NHL-ready futures thrown in.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
So apparently the Canes were one of the teams that have shown interest in Karlsson, at least back as far as at the deadline.

Also, just a weird thought, but when do teams usually ask a player for their "no trade teams list"? Do you think they already asked Karlsson? How long is it good for and can he change the list? The reason for the ask is that it is usually assumed that Florida is a popular place for UFAs, so it might be reasonable to assume that Karlsson may not have put them on his no trade list back at the deadline. But now, I'm guessing they would be front and center.

There was a big to-do last season around December when Zack Smith commented that everyone was asked for their no trade list ... and the question eventually was posed to EK and he confirmed it. So, around December he was asked.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I’d rather use assets to address other areas of need than pay the outrageous price it would take to not only acquire but extend Karlsson.

I’d love to have him but we have more glaring needs.

Also, is Garrioch accurate at all when it comes to sens news? I always thought he was generally regarded as a joke (Ottawa’s Damien Cox) but maybe that’s just when he reports on other teams he has no connections with.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
There was a big to-do last season around December when Zack Smith commented that everyone was asked for their no trade list ... and the question eventually was posed to EK and he confirmed it. So, around December he was asked.
Any idea how long it is good for? I mean, if he was ok with going to Florida, is he able to change that now or would he have to be reunited with Hoffman if the Sens could get the best return for him there?

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I’d rather use assets to address other areas of need than pay the outrageous price it would take to not only acquire but extend Karlsson.

I’d love to have him but we have more glaring needs.

Also, is Garrioch accurate at all when it comes to sens news? I always thought he was generally regarded as a joke (Ottawa’s Damien Cox) but maybe that’s just when he reports on other teams he has no connections with.
He’s actually the most reliable. His connections surprised the hell out of me.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Any idea how long it is good for? I mean, if he was ok with going to Florida, is he able to change that now or would he have to be reunited with Hoffman if the Sens could get the best return for him there?
The short answer is “it depends.” If lists are asked for before the deadline, I’m pretty sure they generally expire afterwards. But it all depends on how the contracts are worded. So I’m told.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Well, now that I think about it, it's questionable.

Is water wet?

If you say water is wet.... Say you pour water on water, would u say the water is wet? No! But if you pour water on paper then the paper is wet. You cannot say water is wet but that it makes things wet. If you say water is wet you might as well say the fire is on fire not the house is on fire. I'm not saying that water is dry. I'm just saying that water is not wet. Water makes things wet.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
This Voynov think has really got me irked. I never understand in situations like these why there are people that talk of second chances and mistakes. Assaulting your spouse to the point that they have to go to the hospital is not a "mistake." It means you're a sociopath. It's scary to think the main thing stopping his return is likely the law itself. I guess #YouCanPlay includes domestic abusers. I suppose it's pretty naive of me to be worked up over the league's hypocrisy. It's all about the money and they aren't hypocrites when it comes to that. I just can't imagine the sick feeling in my stomach or in my conscience if I were the one to sign off on Voynov's reinstatement or if I gave him a contract. Maybe being part of the hockey old boys club helps as a kind of support group to remedy that. And maybe a fat paycheck helps a bit, too.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This Voynov think has really got me irked. I never understand in situations like these why there are people that talk of second chances and mistakes. Assaulting your spouse to the point that they have to go to the hospital is not a "mistake." It means you're a sociopath. It's scary to think the main thing stopping his return is likely the law itself. I guess #YouCanPlay includes domestic abusers. I suppose it's pretty naive of me to be worked up over the league's hypocrisy. It's all about the money and they aren't hypocrites when it comes to that. I just can't imagine the sick feeling in my stomach or in my conscience if I were the one to sign off on Voynov's reinstatement or if I gave him a contract. Maybe being part of the hockey old boys club helps as a kind of support group to remedy that. And maybe a fat paycheck helps a bit, too.
I agree with you, but point out his rampage was alcohol fueled. If he has sworn off alcohol and is willing to be forbidden from drinking and be tested as part of his contract than I think he can get a second chance. I speak as the son of a father who almost destroyed his family with alcoholism when I was a toddler but thankfully got help and never had another drink from when I was 2 (1979) until he passed away in 2011.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
I agree with you, but point out his rampage was alcohol fueled. If he has sworn off alcohol and is willing to be forbidden from drinking and be tested as part of his contract than I think he can get a second chance. I speak as the son of a father who almost destroyed his family with alcoholism when I was a toddler but thankfully got help and never had another drink from when I was 2 (1979) until he passed away in 2011.
I agree if he has rehabilitated himself, there should have an opportunity to redeem himself. But I think there's something deeper here than just substance abuse. Alcohol by itself doesn't make someone violently aggressive. From what I have read, initially, the wife said that Voynov said he wanted a divorce and would stop giving her money as he attacked her. And that this was not the first incident. She evidently was worried about how the gash on her forehead would affect her appearance. Later, her tune changed as she put the blame on herself, saying she was nagging her husband while he was trying to sleep and when he pushed her she accidentally fell into the TV. I just can't help make an inference here and see a relationship where one person is subordinated to the owner practically to the point where one person is seen more as the other's property. I believe people can change into different people, but given how I see this, I can't give Voynov the benefit of the doubt that he is a different person now or that he views his wife differently than before. I don't know the nature of your father's situation, but I'm glad to hear it didn't turn out worse than it did. One of my relatives did tear apart his family through his drinking, though he wasn't physically abusive. His wife offered him an ultimatum, therapy or divorce. And he picked the bottle. Luckily, she had the fortitude and was independent enough to put forth that ultimatum. For some reason, maybe financial, maybe psychological or emotional, it doesn't appear that Voynov's wife did the same. Maybe I would be less cynical if Voynov had expressed remorse, if he had expressed a desire to become a different person, if he had dedicated himself to therapy and counseling. Perhaps he's done that last thing over the past 3 years, but I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad