Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well send that newsflash to your new owner who publicly stated he doesn't believe in UFA's, and thinks if they were good players they wouldn't be free agents.

Panarin doesn't play goal, and doesn't play center so his chances of making us a better team are pretty small. He's clearly looking to test UFA, and if he doesnt like playing for an actual playoff team in Columbus I don't see how he's gonna dig playing for us enough to sign. We're about to sign Aho to big money and have Svech on the way, Panarin already makes 7 plus and is obviously looking for a raise, exactly how much are we spending on wings when we still don't have centers or goalies?

Aho isn't a top six center until he's actually a top 6 center so assuming we have that is a mistake right now. We're already the biggest bunch of wussies in the league, so unless we are shipping one back their way this doesn't help that. There's very little about getting this guy that makes sense in the face of all that is wrong with this team. It would be fun to watch, no doubt but I'm not seeing a good fit. If all our other coming changes rectify the other problems than maybe this makes more sense.

I thought the Hawks made a smart choice when they traded him. They weren't going to be able to afford him long term and got a very good player back, I also agreed at the time with Bowman about being very disappointed in his playoffs. When it got tough he disappeared. He's not enough alone, he is best as a second weapon but he's going to be paid like a primary one. Hopefully to a team with a stud center or two so he isn't wasted like he would be here. He played much better this year in the playoffs but he still wasn't enough, and they have Bob and a great defense.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean I don't disagree with that premise, but on the other hand this past playoff he almost single-handedly eliminated the eventual champs in the first round. Part of that was on Gru not being ready for prime time, but 7 points in 3 games is still 7 points in 3 games.

I'd trade out Skinner for him without thinking twice about it.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And adding any player we actually like to that deal to make it happen when we know we’re behind the 8 ball in keeping him doesn’t really make sense to me.

I guess the question is whether we think the player we add is better than what we could flip Panarin for at the deadline in the worst case scenario.

If we hang onto him, it's to make a playoff run and we are hopefully adding more.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And adding any player we actually like to that deal to make it happen when we know we’re behind the 8 ball in keeping him doesn’t really make sense to me.
Yeah don't get me wrong on that, it's the biggest question about the whole thing. I'd say we're behind the 8 ball in keeping Skinner too, but if we have to give up say Fleury as well in the process that's where the debate is to be had.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Do you think they still keep the #4OA pick or do they move it to the Avs and keep the pick next year? I think a lot of that would probably depend on if Karlsson is going to stay, which might not be decided by Friday. Personally, I'd give the Avs the #4 this year and keep a shot at Jack Hughes next year.
That’s a great question. I agree with your statement that it really depends on what they *think* will happen with Karlsson. Although now that I think about it, surely they know whether Karlsson will be accepting of a fair offer? I was going to say it sucks thst the draft is the 22nd and FA is July 1st ..... but yeah the more I think about it, the more they HAVE to know by the draft.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Yes. Because of that, I have no idea why Ottawa didn't deal directly with Florida.
I just saw on Twitter that they weren’t interested in picks alone.

Man I feel like the best piece being next year’s 2nd is ... well, horrendous. Like really bad. I don’t know what I expected but that wouldn’t have been it.

Interested to see other opinions.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I want to get your guys’ opinions on the trade today. If we came on here this AM and found out that Ottawa received 2018 4th and 5th + 2019 2nd for Hoffman, would you guys consider that a “win” for the Senators?
No, frankly that's flat out terrible. He's at worst a 2nd line caliber producer. I understand that San Jose Billy Beane'd the crap out of this trade to drop Boedker who had no value for them anymore, but damn that's still bad.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I want to get your guys’ opinions on the trade today. If we came on here this AM and found out that Ottawa received 2018 4th and 5th + 2019 2nd for Hoffman, would you guys consider that a “win” for the Senators?

Taking no salary back? I don't know if it's a win, but given the situation, I think that's about as good as they could hope for if you don't want Hoffman on your team.

The real value for SJ may end up being the freed up cap space rather than a 2nd round pick.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So apparently the Canes were one of the teams that have shown interest in Karlsson, at least back as far as at the deadline.

Also, just a weird thought, but when do teams usually ask a player for their "no trade teams list"? Do you think they already asked Karlsson? How long is it good for and can he change the list? The reason for the ask is that it is usually assumed that Florida is a popular place for UFAs, so it might be reasonable to assume that Karlsson may not have put them on his no trade list back at the deadline. But now, I'm guessing they would be front and center.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So apparently the Canes were one of the teams that have shown interest in Karlsson, at least back as far as at the deadline.

Also, just a weird thought, but when do teams usually ask a player for their "no trade teams list"? Do you think they already asked Karlsson? How long is it good for and can he change the list? The reason for the ask is that it is usually assumed that Florida is a popular place for UFAs, so it might be reasonable to assume that Karlsson may not have put them on his no trade list back at the deadline. But now, I'm guessing they would be front and center.

Faulk +2019 1st for Carlson?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oooooh... we should do whatever it takes to get Carlson and Karlsson in the offseason, and then pair them together.

Listening to Chuck and Forslund try to get that right over the course of the season would be... wonderful
Following the same logic, I wonder if the Isles would take Rask for Aho if they can't bring Tavares back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad