Around the League part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Boy that was a tight game. Hard to get shots through. It's amazing though how the rules change as the playoffs go on. You start with chinzy calls for waving your stick at someone, and you end with rough and tumble hockey, tackle people in the trenches.

I am pulling for the Isles. Trotz, Pulock. Pageau. Love the grit. Tampa's defense though, they are hard to beat, and can move the puck so well. I wonder too about this 11-7 strategy, seems like players are more tuned in when coaching is done on the fly.

One thing is for sure, it's the year of the Russian goalie.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
Boy that was a tight game. Hard to get shots through. It's amazing though how the rules change as the playoffs go on. You start with chinzy calls for waving your stick at someone, and you end with rough and tumble hockey, tackle people in the trenches.

I am pulling for the Isles. Trotz, Pulock. Pageau. Love the grit. Tampa's defense though, they are hard to beat, and can move the puck so well. I wonder too about this 11-7 strategy, seems like players are more tuned in when coaching is done on the fly.

Bobrovsky missed that memo lol

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
ARE YOU SHITTING ME that Chevy couldn't match that Sabres offer for Eric Staal??? Imagine Staal as 2C for the Jets...
Stall had a 10 team no trade list. We're #1 on those things league wide (hey, at least we're #1 at something lol)

None

Feb 22, 2012
Really?! I figured us being close to Thunder Bay would have made us make the list.

I'm more surprised that Buffalo was one of the teams he was willing to accept. There has to be more to it, as far as I know Staal was off the table at the 18-19 deadline and we ended up with the more expensive option in Hayes.

Reactions: irunthepeg

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

Going to be a run-down, beaten-up team representing the East against Dallas.
Tough series for sure, as it should be by this round!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'm more surprised that Buffalo was one of the teams he was willing to accept. There has to be more to it, as far as I know Staal was off the table at the 18-19 deadline and we ended up with the more expensive option in Hayes.
Let them have him. Chevy is waiting to offer up #10 OA to NJD this year for Travis Zajac!! Yowza and a yabba-dabba-doo. 1st in the Central is not far off!

None

Feb 22, 2012
Not every player likes to play close to home. I also don't think we have an equivalent to Johansson to offer that wouldn't be an overpay on the Jets part.

He intentionally stayed with Minnesota to be close to home, but maybe he just didn't want to be too close to home? :dunno:

Edit: And Pierre Lebrun apparently said that there's been a rumor that if Staal were traded he'd just retire :laugh:

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Really?! I figured us being close to Thunder Bay would have made us make the list.
Seriously? Very likely that Staal had the Jets on his no trade list, but let's still pretend that Chevy didn't think about this deal because he doesn't know anything.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He intentionally stayed with Minnesota to be close to home, but maybe he just didn't want to be too close to home? :dunno:

Edit: And Pierre Lebrun apparently said that there's been a rumor that if Staal were traded he'd just retire :laugh:

Perhaps. I don't know if Winnipeg would be on the list if Buffalo wasn't, to be honest. I think the main thing is that we don't have a roster player Id be comfortable giving up for one year of Staal apart from Perreault, and he's nowhere close to Mojo's value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

At Staal's stage it's usually more about his wife and children.

Reactions: None

None

Feb 22, 2012
Perhaps. I don't know if Winnipeg would be on the list if Buffalo wasn't, to be honest. I think the main thing is that we don't have a roster player Id be comfortable giving up for one year of Staal apart from Perreault, and he's nowhere close to Mojo's value.

Yeah, we definitely don't have a roster player in that category right now. The Jets are too young and much more top heavy. The players that will probably settle in around Johansson's value are still RFAs which inherently have more value because of roster flexibility and lower cap hits.

Lowry might fit the bill, but you'd probably piss a lot of people off trading him for what is essentially a rental in Staal (and the Wild probably want more offensive potential). I've also never gotten the impression that Lowry has ever been less than happy about playing in Winnipeg and that goes a long way with people.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Seriously? Very likely that Staal had the Jets on his no trade list, but let's still pretend that Chevy didn't think about this deal because he doesn't know anything.
I think Staal would be looking at a team’s playoff chances, his role on the team, and familiarity with or support for the coach. All of those boxes would be checked to come to Winnipeg. It could be for only one year.

But Minny may not want to deal him within the division, or could not find a suitable overpay in order to trade him within division. Or liked the Buffalo deal more than anything the Jets wanted to offer.

Now Winnipeg may not be on his wife’s list of suitable locations.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
How in the world did Staal end up in Buffalo?? I thought his last contract with the wild was a Thornton-esque keep you around deal

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I thought that's partially why he liked being in Minny...

Could've been. I wouldn't be all that surprised if he didn't have the Jets on his no move list. I don't think the Jets have a Johansson equivalent to move for him. Not one I'd stomach moving for a year of Staal at least.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, we definitely don't have a roster player in that category right now. The Jets are too young and much more top heavy. The players that will probably settle in around Johansson's value are still RFAs which inherently have more value because of roster flexibility and lower cap hits.

Lowry might fit the bill, but you'd probably piss a lot of people off trading him for what is essentially a rental in Staal (and the Wild probably want more offensive potential). I've also never gotten the impression that Lowry has ever been less than happy about playing in Winnipeg and that goes a long way with people.

Lowry is as much a rental as Staal is. Both will be pending UFAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad