Around the League part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Unless Kevyn Adams somehow reunites the Staal family in Buffalo I have no idea what he is doing. I feel bad for Staal if he has to centre Skinner for the whole year, who took a year off after getting paid, and might take another.

Edmunson signs at 3.5 AAV for 4 years. Very moderate pay increase for him, but security, and a guaranteed 2nd pairing role with Petry you would think.

I'd say Edmunson's numbers are better than De Melo's, so that AAV might be in the right range. The 4 year term might be hard for the Jets though.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Unless Kevyn Adams somehow reunites the Staal family in Buffalo I have no idea what he is doing. I feel bad for Staal if he has to centre Skinner for the whole year, who took a year off after getting paid, and might take another.

Edmunson signs at 3.5 AAV for 4 years. Very moderate pay increase for him, but security, and a guaranteed 2nd pairing role with Petry you would think.

I'd say Edmunson's numbers are better than De Melo's, so that AAV might be in the right range. The 4 year term might be hard for the Jets though.

I'd be happy with a 4 year term with DeMelo. I don't see anyone in our pipeline who could surpass him in that amount of time. If we did, I'd be happy - playing DeMelo on your 3rd pair usually means you have good depth.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
How in the world did Staal end up in Buffalo?? I thought his last contract with the wild was a Thornton-esque keep you around deal

Apparently he was pissed. I think he was thinking he would finish his career there. I saw on Reddit he turned down the opportunity to go to Boston (apparently a 1st + Kuraly) but he told Fenton no (when did Fenton get fired? this may have been last year).

Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not necessarily, but he could only list 10 teams that he wouldn't go to.

If he is listing the 10 his wife is most likely to veto, Buffalo is about as likely to be on the list as Winnipeg is.
This is all very speculative.

There are more obvious reasons why he didn't come here. Like he is 36 YO. He is not the solution to our problem. Like we don't have a comparable player to Johansson to send the other way. Probably more, before we get down the list to 'places his wife would veto'.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If he is listing the 10 his wife is most likely to veto, Buffalo is about as likely to be on the list as Winnipeg is.
This is all very speculative.

There are more obvious reasons why he didn't come here. Like he is 36 YO. He is not the solution to our problem. Like we don't have a comparable player to Johansson to send the other way. Probably more, before we get down the list to 'places his wife would veto'.
Friedman wrote that Staal really didn't want to leave Minnesota, and Buffalo wasn't on his no trade list because he guessed that they were a team that wouldn't want him because they aren't a contender.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Friedman wrote that Staal really didn't want to leave Minnesota, and Buffalo wasn't on his no trade list because he guessed that they were a team that wouldn't want him because they aren't a contender.
This is a common strategy so you don't waste your ten no trades on teams that never would have done it anyway. Crazy to see it happen

Reactions: None

None

Feb 22, 2012

I imagine Bill Guerin is going to have trouble convincing players that they don't need a full no-move clause in any future negotiations. Eroding trust like that is slimy as hell.

That said, players probably shouldn't trust their GMs all that much and Staal probably should have had a full NMC considering he already took a discount on that contract.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Lebrun in the Athletic said that Buffalo was not on Staal's NTC list because it had playoff teams that would likely be interested in trading for him on it, and he's so comfortable in Minnesota with his family that he wanted to prevent being moved at the deadline. He never imagined Buffalo would trade for him as they were not a playoff team.

That would likely mean Winnipeg was on the list. It's close to Minnesota but it's still a ways away from your family for 8 months.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Maybe they think they can become one. A bit optimistic, I would say. Show Eichel they are trying?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Lebrun in the Athletic said that Buffalo was not on Staal's NTC list because it had playoff teams that would likely be interested in trading for him on it, and he's so comfortable in Minnesota with his family that he wanted to prevent being moved at the deadline. He never imagined Buffalo would trade for him as they were not a playoff team.

That would likely mean Winnipeg was on the list. It's close to Minnesota but it's still a ways away from your family for 8 months.

Well, it's obvious then, isn't it? The Jets want players to leave them off their no-trade lists, just suck so bad that players are lulled into a false sense of security.

Yet another benefit of tanking. Why is this such a hard sell to people? ;)

Reactions: snowkiddin

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Well that really backfired. :confused:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

If he was paying close attention, he'd realize Winnipeg isn't a playoff team either... :sarcasm:

But Minnesota isn't going to trade inside the division. That's not allowed as I've heard whenever good players get traded from teams in the Central.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
If he was paying close attention, he'd realize Winnipeg isn't a playoff team either... :sarcasm:

But Minnesota isn't going to trade inside the division. That's not allowed as I've heard whenever good players get traded from teams in the Central.
Minnesota got Fiala from Nashville...Stastny from Blues to Jets... it happens.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, it's obvious then, isn't it? The Jets want players to leave them off their no-trade lists, just suck so bad that players are lulled into a false sense of security.

Yet another benefit of tanking. Why is this such a hard sell to people? ;)

Because you need to lose a lot to tank. ;)

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Bogosian is a clear weak link on Tampa. Kinda sucks to see how far he's fallen. All those injuries I guess

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Only in hockey can you hit a guy in the face with your stick and you get an extra 2 minutes because the guy is a bleeder. Getting a nose bleed is not the same as getting cut.

Reactions: snowkiddin

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Classic HF Jets thread. Player with a NTC that obviously would never have allowed a trade to Winnipeg gets traded, followed by pages of comments questioning why the Jets didn't make an effort to acquire him.

Yea we don’t need a 35 year old one season patch job even if he was available.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad