Friedman: Canes to buyout Kotkaniemi?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yeah, I'm sure the GM who hates spending money is just gone throw 10 mil to make a problem go away.
Ah yes there's the mindless moronic "Dundon so cheap"...like we haven't been a cap team for years, tried to buy Nikishin out basically, and spent $6M to buyout Marleau for a 1st round pick...yup sure seems cheap!!!

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ah yes there's the mindless moronic "Dundon so cheap"...like we haven't been a cap team for years, tried to buy Nikishin out basically, and spent $6M to buyout Marleau for a 1st round pick...yup sure seems cheap!!!

How many teams have we seen make a buyout that lasts 12 years?

I don't think it's even about Dundon being cheap. It's about fans being unrealistic.

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I don't think PIT would require retention. Just a sweetner. Not something significant. 2nd or 3rd and taking back a contract like Eller or Smith.

Rakell for Koko straight up kinda makes sense for both teams too.

A healthy rakell is a sig better player than k.k, espcially if Sullivan would get his head out of his ass and (barring the addition of a top six forward) just put him with sid and O'Conner and put Geno with rust and bunting moving forward.

Moving rakell, a player who should not yet considered a cap dump, for a player in k.k who should be offered alongside a sweeter in any other deal is just poor asset management.

If you are looking a k.k as a possible 3rd line center I'd either say canes take smith back at his full cap hit, or ithe pens offer a pick for k.k (no retention) and a better pick.

Best case scenario is pens retain on smith to get an asset, take on an asset to give k.k a try for a year before considering a buy out, and let rakell play with sid to either inflate his value or to make the most of his talents if the team is successful enough to be competitive next year.

The pens have the ability to test drive k.k for two seasons and see if, as the cap goes up, his percentage of the cap he takes up reaches the level of his play. Carolina should on the other hand be freeing that money up asap given their window and the potential turnover this off-season.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If they can’t get a trade done I think they’d just keep him. I can’t see them keeping him on the books for 12 years, even if it’s cheap. He’s a solid bottom six guy and they have a lot of ufa’s.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
On a recent episode of 32 thoughts Friedman said that the Canes could buyout K2.

On one that's brutal that's a 12 year buyout.

On the other he's under 26 so It's a 1/3 buyout.

835K for 12 years
Canes told Kotkaniemi they would give him big long term contract when he signed one year deal. Can't turn around haul it out from under him now

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Mikheyev for KK plus a later round pick. Their salary is same. Mik has 2 years left. If the Canes wanted to they could buy out Mik which would be on the books for 4 years at about 1.2mil per year. They would save 3.5 mill this upcoming and following yr. The Canucks could give KK a try for 2 years before buying him out if they wanted too.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
12 years is brutal but 835k in the grand scheme of things isn’t bad at all.

I know, when I said it was brutal I was talking about the 12 years, that part is awful.

835K is fine, it will be less than the minimum in a few years.

Canes told Kotkaniemi they would give him big long term contract when he signed one year deal. Can't turn around haul it out from under him now

Yes, they actually can unless he's injured

Reactions: SI90

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Mikheyev for KK plus a later round pick. Their salary is same. Mik has 2 years left. If the Canes wanted to they could buy out Mik which would be on the books for 4 years at about 1.2mil per year. They would save 3.5 mill this upcoming and following yr. The Canucks could give KK a try for 2 years before buying him out if they wanted too.

Has Mik been that bad? he was good here, especially his last season.

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
Has Mik been that bad? he was good here, especially his last season.
He was good last year, this year he hasn't been the same but he had been out for the 2st part of the sewason with a knee injury, which are difficult to come back from the same year. I expect that he will be better next year but then again I'd expect that KK will be better next year too.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I don't think PIT would require retention. Just a sweetner. Not something significant. 2nd or 3rd and taking back a contract like Eller or Smith.

Rakell for Koko straight up kinda makes sense for both teams too.

Not if the Canes are looking g to clear $$

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
So here's the thing

6 years left at 4.82
He's overpaid this season by 2m

So you overpay a player by 2.0 m for 6 years vs having 800k on the books for 12.

The only reason you buy him out is if he doesn't fit on your roster.
Ordinarily a buyout makes sense if you need either the Cap space, the real $$ or the roster spot. If you don't need either it makes sense to wait another year for the buyout. For the guys under 26 its a bit different as there is such an advantage in real dollars to doing it at 1/3. For KK in theory you have 2 more years where you can do it for 1/3 but what if he is injured at the buyout window- can't buy out an injured guy.

I suspect they do it this yr

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He was good last year, this year he hasn't been the same but he had been out for the 2st part of the sewason with a knee injury, which are difficult to come back from the same year. I expect that he will be better next year but then again I'd expect that KK will be better next year too.

Brindamour is a no nonsense type coach. KK is still learning on the job and was drafted as a long term prospect. There is no room for complacency or prolonged trust on his cup contending roster.

From what I have seen, KK looks to be one of those types that takes years to mature and might have a good 25-30 age range prime. His skating is meh or OK but Canes play a fast tempo game. Probably doesn't fit their strategy

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The buyout isn't too bad because because the cap implications is basically nothing but term. However, they could easily just retain 1.5 million and ship him off. I don't see a team trying to buy him out from a 3.3 cap hit. At the end of the day, he typically averages 30+points.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm jealous, Kotkaniemi is the luckiest player of all time

Stuck in the middle of a dick measuring contest between 2 billionaires, gonna end up getting 50M for it

Dang 12 year buy out all so they could Meme on twitter. Was it worth it??
I honestly don't think they can do it just because Montreal will have 12 years of memes for them, Canes care more about Twitter than the team

Reactions: dukeofjive

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The buyout isn't too bad because because the cap implications is basically nothing but term. However, they could easily just retain 1.5 million and ship him off. I don't see a team trying to buy him out from a 3.3 cap hit. At the end of the day, he typically averages 30+points.
$1.5 mill for 6 more seasons is $9 mill in real money. Buyout is like $10 mill. His dead cap is $835K for 9 of the 12 years, and 3 years in years (4-6) it is only $455K.

Think it just makes more sense for Carolina to buy him out and just move on. They are likely to have the second window in the summer to buy him out as they have a few RFAs who qualify for salary arbitration, so as long as one of them files for it, they have that second window to determine if they need that extra $4 mill or not.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Seems silly to do now. He’s only 23 and lots of money coming off the books.
Every year you take him takes 2 off the length of the buyout.

If you did it in 2 years it’s much less term.

What this doesn't account for is whether the Hurricanes still believe in the player at all.

If he's not worth it, get him off the team ASAP for a player you actually want which is what I suspect will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad