Around the league part 12: "Greiss is Green-er on the other Sedoff the Zaitsev"..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I think we Canes fans are going to hate that Philly got Talbot. Talbot has been a good goalie behind terrible Oilers teams the past couple of years. Apparently, he and Hart train together in the offseason as well. If they roll with Hart and Talbot next year, I think we won't like the results.

I guess time will tell.

Yeah this is where I'm at as well. After watching Dubnyk go from worst goalie in the league to Vezina caliber after leaving Edmonton, I wouldn't by surprised to see a big improvement with Talbot now too. I think he'll be solid.

I would have liked the Canes to give him a chance, after getting burned with both Lack and Darling it'd be great to audition a goalie before locking him up. Edmonton may have wanted Stolarz a lot more than Mrazek though. We'll see how it goes.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I think we Canes fans are going to hate that Philly got Talbot. Talbot has been a good goalie behind terrible Oilers teams the past couple of years. Apparently, he and Hart train together in the offseason as well. If they roll with Hart and Talbot next year, I think we won't like the results.

I guess time will tell.

If there's one thing NHL fans can count on, it's that Philly will screw up their goaltending somehow. I ain't scared.

But yeah, I get your point.

Ummm...Isles have statistically the best team defense in the league this year, which is incredible because they're the same core group as last year minus CDH and plus Trotz.

If there's one thing we can consistently count on from members of this board, it's confusing "defense" with "defensemen." You can have average defensemen and have a great team defense. You can have great defensemen and have an average team defense (we see this every other night). Team defense is as much on the forwards and goalies as it is on the defensemen. Most NHL teams that have to budget would choose to skimp on defensemen, as opposed to forwards or goalies. It's just not the way we roll.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Feeling bad for McDavid.

Hopkins- McDavid- Rattie
Khaira- Draisaitl- Chiasson
Lucic- Brodziak- Kassian
Malone- Cave- Rieder

This is epic bad forward group. Outside RNH, McDavid and Draisaitl, nothing else is more than AHL caliber. Their D sucks, too.

Klefbom- Larsson
Nurse- Petrovic
Russell- Manning
Sekera- Gravel

How the f*** they could become good team?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Feeling bad for McDavid.

Hopkins- McDavid- Rattie
Khaira- Draisaitl- Chiasson
Lucic- Brodziak- Kassian
Malone- Cave- Rieder

This is epic bad forward group. Outside RNH, McDavid and Draisaitl, nothing else is more than AHL caliber. Their D sucks, too.

Klefbom- Larsson
Nurse- Petrovic
Russell- Manning
Sekera- Gravel

How the **** they could become good team?

Sekera not staying healthy, Puljujarvi not being an impact NHL player, and Lucic falling off so badly is what killed them. Yeah, losing Hall hurt, but Larsson is probably their best D (Klefbom and Sekera can't stay healthy).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The money cancels out and they're both in the minors. A true "change of scenery" trade on both sides.

I read that Gagner is actually reporting to the oilers and since Spooner was in the minors they will still have to clear a spot.

I could’ve sworn Gagner wanted to be in the Toronto area which is why Vancouver loaned him to the marlies.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sekera not staying healthy, Puljujarvi not being an impact NHL player, and Lucic falling off so badly is what killed them. Yeah, losing Hall hurt, but Larsson is probably their best D (Klefbom and Sekera can't stay healthy).
I think most of those moves are sort of predictable. Even with Sekera playing 161 out of the 164 regular season Oilers games in his first two seasons, that was the exception rather than the rule. He regularly missed time due to injuries before those two seasons. Puljujarvi being passed over by a Finnish GM set off huge red flags for me, but even then him busting is admittedly the least predictable move in this list. Lucic was almost completely predictable, maybe not the extent of his decline but everyone knew it was coming before he even signed his contract. The Hall for Larsson trade was predictably awful and only ever slightly looked like a semi-decent trade because of the Oilers somehow making the playoffs the first season after it, but most people knew it was lopsided by the skill level of the players involved. That other Oilers d-men are so bad that it makes Larsson look like the most competent doesn't really matter.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think most of those moves are sort of predictable. Even with Sekera playing 161 out of the 164 regular season Oilers games in his first two seasons, that was the exception rather than the rule. He regularly missed time due to injuries before those two seasons. Puljujarvi being passed over by a Finnish GM set off huge red flags for me, but even then him busting is admittedly the least predictable move in this list. Lucic was almost completely predictable, maybe not the extent of his decline but everyone knew it was coming before he even signed his contract. The Hall for Larsson trade was predictably awful and only ever slightly looked like a semi-decent trade because of the Oilers somehow making the playoffs the first season after it, but most people knew it was lopsided by the skill level of the players involved. That other Oilers d-men are so bad that it makes Larsson look like the most competent doesn't really matter.

Some of it. I don't think anyone predicted Lucic would fall off so much, so fast. Everyone thought the last couple of years of his deal he would fall off, but not year 2 of his deal. Even with red flags, I don't think anyone thought Puljujarvi would be so bad and not contribute at all.

No doubt Chiarelli made a lot of bad moves, but a couple of unforseen things also contributed to their downfall. I think the worst move was him trading a 1st (15th overall) and a 2nd (33rd overall) for Reinhart which the Islanders parlayed into Barzal and Beauvillier. Ouch.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Toronto, perhaps the best offensive team in the league, had *five* shots against Arizona halfway through the game. They finished with 22 and got shutout, 2-0. Also, Sens win in Winnipeg. It happens.

The Blues are playing so well, Jake Allen got a shutout. That's a pretty amazing turnaround.

And thanks Tampa Bay. I was mad when you couldn't beat the Pens in late December, but you've been taking care of business lately.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That Columbus situation is one that I have no idea what to make of. Part of me thinks they hold on to them and end up trading their rights for a couple picks after their season is over. But if they go on any kind of cold stretch this week all options are going to be on the table.

Best thing that could happen to CBus is for them to go on a 4 game losing streak.

Yes, I have selfish motives in this as it would help us in getting in but Bread and Bob aren’t coming back and they are in no way going to do anything in the playoffs. To lose both those guys for nothing would be crippling for any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad