GDT: Around the League - Off Season Edition - let the good times roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It seems like the Leafs are keeping busy Islanders fan in their Out of Town Thread. Truly mind bending analysis and hatred for the Leafs there. Esp from one Leafs obsessed fan who should truly seek help. That dude is on the verge of a major breakdown. I feel like the only way he can get through the day is if he types in "Dubass" referring to Dubas lol
Guess I didn't look hard enough.

In the last two full pages (50 posts) in their "Around the league" thread, one post mentions Dubas and the Leafs: most are about the Rangers.

In the last two full pages in this thread (before the above), 21 of them mention Lou or the Isles.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
That "nearly 2-1 ratio" is a bit misleading, as it's skewed by the weird 8-0 game. Other than that, scoring was 12-11, with five games ending either 2-1 or 3-2, and the other 4-2.

Yes, lack of scoring was a problem (although Montreal only scored 8 and Carolina 9, so give Tampa some credit), but they also were without their captain and top scorer, and their top line in the playoffs had Komarov on it.
Their “top line” had Komarov on it because like most good coaches Trotz spreads his top 6 forwards across 3 lines. Quennville, Babcock and Laviolette do the same thing. Keefe is a trash coach

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Komarov in the top 9 is just not good
Certainly not optimum, but they needed someone who could take faceoffs (Barzal is terrible), and be physical and solid defensively (neither Barzal nor Eberle and good at either).

The problem with their top line was as much Eberle's weak play as Komarov's inability to score; not to mention Barzal's unwillingness to pass to either of them.

He was adequate enough that the team was the second best in the playoffs, and got within a goal of the finals.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Really late to the party, but holy smokes was every single comment by the Canadiens organization concerning the Logan Mailloux situation a colossal and epic embarrassment. WOW.

I'd seriously re-consider my fandom in that situation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Montreal Canadiens seem intent on going Hollywood Hogan. Jean Beliveau is spinning in his grave.

The way Chicago and Montreal have been mucking things up with their buffoonery has really hurt the game.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Ouch....5 years 9.5 AAV on an over 35 contract too.

Wow... yeah I didn't realize 5 years. Holy shit. I think Ovie is awesome but that's a bit much.

Friedman was saying 3 or 4 at 10.

Last couple of years may be rough but you never know.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Wow... yeah I didn't realize 5 years. Holy shit. I think Ovie is awesome but that's a bit much.

Friedman was saying 3 or 4 at 10.

Last couple of years may be rough but you never know.
Seems like something that may come back to haunt them....except it probably has a "wink, wink - nudge, nudge" LTIR component to it.

Reactions: Burnie97

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The Montreal Canadiens seem intent on going Hollywood Hogan. Jean Beliveau is spinning in his grave.

The way Chicago and Montreal have been mucking things up with their buffoonery has really hurt the game.

The complete and utter lack of serious discussion about the Blackhawks from the major hockey media has been extremely troubling to me.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The complete and utter lack of serious discussion about the Blackhawks from the major hockey media has been extremely troubling to me.
Well....without going "there".....lets just say the total media silence with regards to scandals and coverups is pretty much their entire reason for existing right now.

Narratives and feelings are pushed, not promoting facts and news.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Chicago did that when they were winning Cups and nobody complained. The problem isn't having that much money tied up in four players, it is the four players in whom that money is tied up.

I can't remember but didn't Kane and Toews get their raises after they won the cup?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

What compounds that horrible story even more is they were so successful on the ice so the game is literally run by an old boys network of ex-Hawks executives from Bowman, Quenneville, Cheveldayoff, and villain du jour Marc The Joker Bergevin.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can't remember but didn't Kane and Toews get their raises after they won the cup?

Yes and ever since they got their double digit deals its a struggle for Chicago to even make the playoffs.

In fact no team has ever won a single playoff round with a skater making double digit AAV in a cap world.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Their “top line” had Komarov on it because like most good coaches Trotz spreads his top 6 forwards across 3 lines. Quennville, Babcock and Laviolette do the same thing.

When Komarov was a Leaf he played on the 2nd line glued to Kadri's hip and Naz was popping 30+ goal seasons and Leafs were setting new franchise records for points and wins in a season. The moment there was a GM change Komarov was one of the 1st players out the door and the decline and exit of Kadri would soon follow.

Some good coaches and GMs understand how important these types of blue collar working players are to drive success.

Komarov played on the top line with Barzal and Eberle and NYI have been to the final 4 for 2 consecutive years. It all about creating lines and balancing the offense and have all lines contribute come playoff time to drive success. People need to understand its a team game and its not about maximizing output of a few players during the regular season to make their personal stats look good.

I am hoping this is one of the best take-away our Leaf management exec take away from these playoffs that Leafs need to build a strong top 9, with an $11 mil player on each driving their own lines and the players around them have a worker and sniper and setup man as a formula for line creation.

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad