GDT: Around the League - Off Season Edition - let the good times roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yes and ever since they got their double digit deals its a struggle for Chicago to even make the playoffs.

In fact no team has ever won a single playoff round with a skater making double digit AAV in a cap world.

Not especially meaningful when you consider how few double digit AAV contracts we've seen

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not especially meaningful when you consider how few double digital AAV contracts we've seen

Kings (2012, 2014) and Hawks (2010, 2013, 2015) where those teams won 5 Stanley Cups over 6 year span, then their stars get double digit AAV contracts rewarding Conn Symthe performances and now those former Cup teams struggle to make the playoffs.

Odd since Toews and Kane and Kopitar and Doughty are the same star players only making a lot more money, which is the cause of their demise because that cost comes at the expense of the supporting cast around them no longer good enough to win a playoff round if they even get in.

Leafs have 3 of the 5 highest skater contracts in the game and also have proven they can't win a playoff round either.

Reactions: PromisedLand

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Re: Ovi, yes 9.5 over 5 years might be scary for most, but I think OVI will be up to the task. Guy is a horse. So now 164 goals behind Gretz for all time. So just over 32 goals a year for the next 5 years. I'm saying he does it.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

I'd stay there to try and win a cup and be secure and make 7 million a year.

May get 8 maybe somewhere else but I don't see him leaving then.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
There are going to be many long term contracts handed out tomorrow that teams will regret in time. I'm glad that we aren't going to part of it to be honest.

Let the dust settle, and sign a few solid veteran UFAs that want to play in Toronto for bargains.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
There are going to be many long term contracts handed out tomorrow that teams will regret in time. I'm glad that we aren't going to part of it to be honest.

Let the dust settle, and sign a few solid veteran UFAs that want to play in Toronto for bargains.
Exactly. With the sheer number of unqualified RFA's, there will be a lot of bargains available.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You know the salary cap is working when this league has had multiple trades this week where valuable assets have been traded for nothing.

Ladd trade --- The trade is 3 assets and the ask back, literally nothing. Just take our player because he makes too much money. lol

So many things need to happen to the salary cap to make the league more entertaining and advantageous to the larger market teams. Impose something similar to the NBA's "Bird Rights" for hockey and call it "Howe Rights" -- that allows a team to go over the salary cap with a guy that was drafted by the team and is just out of their ELC. It promotes teams being able to develop & keep their own guys, while also paying the middle of the road guys a decent salary.

Instead, they just give Chicago another outdoor classic and rely on Boston & New York playing each other on NBC / ESPN weekly.

Reactions: Auston 316

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They put two swords through this guy lmao
E7UdSLgUcAIIzx6

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In fact no team has ever won a single playoff round with a skater making double digit AAV in a cap world.
1. That's not even true. Chicago won a playoff series with Kane and Toews at 10.5m last year.
2. This is meaningless anyway, as the cap has only recently risen to levels where 10m+ contracts exist, and then the cap stagnated due to the pandemic. There aren't many 10m+ players in the league, much less on teams in a competitive phase.
3. I like how this has morphed into "skaters", since a team just went to the cup finals with one of the worst 10m+ contracts in the league.
Kings (2012, 2014) and Hawks (2010, 2013, 2015) where those teams won 5 Stanley Cups over 6 year span, then their stars get double digit AAV contracts rewarding Conn Symthe performances and now those former Cup teams struggle to make the playoffs.
Those teams struggle to make the playoffs now, more than half a decade later, for reasons entirely unrelated to their star player contracts.
Leafs have 3 of the 5 highest skater contracts in the game
This is also not true.
When Komarov was a Leaf he played on the 2nd line glued to Kadri's hip and Naz was popping 30+ goal seasons
Kadri put up 30 goal seasons largely because he was on the #1 PP with Marner, and much of his ES scoring in 2017-2018 came with Marner as well. In fact, of all of the forwards in 2017-2018 that Kadri played more than 40 minutes with, Kadri produced worst with Komarov on his line. Komarov was a healthy scratch by the time he left. We're now 3 years past that and he's 34 and even worse.

Reactions: Gallagbi and Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
1. That's not even true. Chicago won a playoff series with Kane and Toews at 10.5m last year.
2. This is meaningless anyway, as the cap has only recently risen to levels where 10m+ contracts exist, and then the cap stagnated due to the pandemic. There aren't many 10m+ players in the league, much less on teams in a competitive phase.
3. I like how this has morphed into "skaters", since a team just went to the cup finals with one of the worst 10m+ contracts in the league.

Those teams struggle to make the playoffs now, more than half a decade later, for reasons entirely unrelated to their star player contracts.

This is also not true.

Kadri put up 30 goal seasons largely because he was on the #1 PP with Marner, and much of his ES scoring in 2017-2018 came with Marner as well. In fact, of all of the forwards in 2017-2018 that Kadri played more than 40 minutes with, Kadri produced worst with Komarov on his line. Komarov was a healthy scratch by the time he left. We're now 3 years past that and he's 34 and even worse.

Been waiting for someone to put an end to his Komarov parade. Thank you.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I kinda feel bad for Carolina. They seem to be dismantling a really good thing they have going by penny pinching everyone and every position to the point of being a 90s mom and pop small market team convulsing talent to the open market and then dumpster diving on Tony D. Peter Pocklington and Marcel Aubut approve.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Habs will have about $8 mill in cap space once Weber goes on the LTIR .. They need to re-sign Kotkaniemi and Lehkonen ..Investing more money in their wings today in Hoffman.

Their centre depth is now Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Evans

I imagine they're going to try and move Drouin to make more cap space .. But that's an interesting situation to watch.

So they'll need another centre - I wonder if they'll bring Staal back.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Habs will have about $8 mill in cap space once Weber goes on the LTIR .. They need to re-sign Kotkaniemi and Lehkonen ..Investing more money in their wings today in Hoffman.

Their centre depth is now Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Evans

I imagine they're going to try and move Drouin to make more cap space .. But that's an interesting situation to watch.

So they'll need another centre - I wonder if they'll bring Staal back.
I think Staal was mostly LW there, no?

Wonder if Drouin would be worth a flyer here. Feeding guys like Natthews and Tavares is a little different than Danaut, Suzuki, KK

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think Staal was mostly LW there, no?

Wonder if Drouin would be worth a flyer here. Feeding guys like Natthews and Tavares is a little different than Danaut, Suzuki, KK

Would need some serious retention to consider it .. but if he is having mental issues in Montreal, I doubt Toronto is a better place for him. He does have a modified NTC.

Arizona would be a great place for him

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Would need some serious retention to consider it .. but if he is having mental issues in Montreal, I doubt Toronto is a better place for him. He does have a modified NTC.

Arizona would be a great place for him
Yeah, I wasn't thinking on a contract front, moreso fit.

I think there's different pressure in MTL than Toronto for him, given the expectations, but the head stuff scares me for our market too.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
One day into UFA and I still struggle to see what Francis is doing with that expansion draft .. Sure teams learned from Vegas, but Francis had a lot of time to prep.

Minimal trades to acquire assets .. he could have acquired a pick for not taking Vanacek and gained an exposed player like Dillon, and then flip Dillon for those second rounders instead

.. Then pays big money for some above average UFA's... And his biggest splash is Grubauer after signing Dreidger and giving him a pricey extension. Expensive backup!

Schwartz-Gourde-Eberle
Tanev-Wennberg-Donskoi
Jarnkrok-McCann-Appleton
Twarynski-Blackwell-Bastian

Giordano-Larsson
Olesiak-Dunn
Soucy-Fluery
Lauzon

Grubauer
Dreidger

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
One day into UFA and I still struggle to see what Francis is doing with that expansion draft .. Sure teams learned from Vegas, but Francis had a lot of time to prep.

Minimal trades to acquire assets .. he could have acquired a pick for not taking Vanacek and gained an exposed player like Dillon, and then flip Dillon for those second rounders instead

.. Then pays big money for some above average UFA's... And his biggest splash is Grubauer after signing Dreidger and giving him a pricey extension. Expensive backup!

Schwartz-Gourde-Eberle
Tanev-Wennberg-Donskoi
Jarnkrok-McCann-Appleton

Giordano-Larsson
Olesiak-Dunn
Soucy-Fluery
Lauzon

Grubauer
Dreidger

I think we'll see a major transaction or two from Francis. Even though a lot of his moves have been questionable to date, we should probably give him until training camp to see what shape they're in.

As it stands, they won't score a ton of goals, but I think they will be a stingy defensive team.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

Schwartz-Gourde-Eberle
Tanev-Wennberg-Donskoi
Jarnkrok-McCann-Appleton

Giordano-Larsson
Olesiak-Dunn
Soucy-Fluery
Lauzon

Grubauer
Dreidger
It almost seems like they are winging a lot of decisions and changing direction often. Not sure what the original plan was but there have seem a few 180s in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad