GDT: Around the League - Off Season Edition - let the good times roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just read that piece about Boyton and the Hawks by Sportsnet. This Hawks stuff is a lot more serious than I thought. It seemed like everyone knew about it but tried to sweep it under the rug.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
wow, mind boggling how this was kept quiet. Lots of accountability to throw at lots of players, coaches, management, ownership.
No kidding, and a few of them have gone on the records stating they won’t agree to anything unless the investigation goes public is huge.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No kidding, and a few of them have gone on the records stating they won’t agree to anything unless the investigation goes public is huge.
I don't blame them, they probably have zero trust in the Hawks getting to the bottle of this. Pretty quiet for such a stunning story imo, Bettman got the cone of silence on this one?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't blame them, they probably have zero trust in the Hawks getting to the bottle of this. Pretty quiet for such a stunning story imo, Bettman got the cone of silence on this one?
I think right now, it needs to be under the cone of silence during investigation, but NHL needs to follow this up and be accountable. This is some very serious allegations and we just can’t have this any where in the World.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think right now, it needs to be under the cone of silence during investigation, but NHL needs to follow this up and be accountable. This is some very serious allegations and we just can’t have this any where in the World.
roger that.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yeah that whole thing, for a lack of a better word, is completely utterly f***ed up.
The fact it is taking so long to bring out these serious allegations to the forefront is beyond pathetic, and does not aid anyone from being "clean". The front office's lack of clarity or at least some remorse does not help either.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The fact it is taking so long to bring out these serious allegations to the forefront is beyond pathetic, and does not aid anyone from being "clean". The front office's lack of clarity or at least some remorse does not help either.
It had been 11 years and they all knew about it. I don’t blame them for trying to cover it up bc that’s what Corp do but giving the coach a positive reference for his next job and he got canned due to the same accusations is absolutely horrible and these MGT must take responsibility and accountability for that.

just want to be clear, I am not okay with what he had done and people covering up for him at all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nick F is going to give us nightmares for the next two years in the playoffs if we make it.

I think the Bruins are headed into uncertain territory. In the past 2 offseasons they lost Zdeno Chara, Torey Krug, David Krejci, Kevan Miller, Jaroslav Halak, maybe Tuukka Rask, not to mention Nick Ritchie and Ondrej Kase, and before that Danton Heinen and Anders Bjork. The quality of the names vary but that continuity is really starting to turn over.

Recently added 2x former Buffalo Sabres in Taylor Hall, Linus Ullmark and a Blue Jacket in Nick Foligno. They're going through a lot of changes too.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Bruins system has relied on star goaltending for like the past decade to act as it's bedrock. And while I do like Ullmark, he's not going to be able to do what Rask or Thomas before him were able to do. Helped more than a few mediocre Bruins D men look like top 4 guys over the years

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Bruins system has relied on star goaltending for like the past decade to act as it's bedrock. And while I do like Ullmark, he's not going to be able to do what Rask or Thomas before him were able to do. Helped more than a few mediocre Bruins D men look like top 4 guys over the years

The other thing I would say is loading up on Ullmark, Hall (and even Foligno) is you might not be strengthening that winning culture.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The other thing I would say is loading up on Ullmark, Hall (and even Foligno) is you might not be strengthening that winning culture.

Idk about that. They still got the best line in hockey. They got a pretty good 2nd line with Hall and Smith on the wings. I believe people said they were interested in Dvorak so if they could possibly flip Coyle for Dvorak then that 2nd line is still pretty damn good. Krejci is better than Dvorak imo but Dvorak would be a good replacement. 3rd line is a pretty good two way checking line and the 4th line is still a Boston line where they are tough and mean who aren't afraid to finish checks and do anything to win. I think people just look at their D and assume it's weak because they're smaller than usual and no Chara anymore but they still got a pretty good top 4. Overall I think Boston is a better team and a much deeper team but luckily for us they probably only got a 2-4 year window to win a cup imo. Depends how many more years Bergeron plays since he's 36 now I believe and Marchand is around 33.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

I'm going to wait to pass judgement... but yeah I think and hope this will be accurate lol.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Boston is well coached and well structured. They’ll be in the mix, but their centre group and goaltending have big questions which means some bigger risk.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boston is well coached and well structured. They’ll be in the mix, but their centre group and goaltending have big questions which means some bigger risk.

One thing every Leaf and Bruin fan is going to follow this year.

Boston had Nic Ritchie RFA $1.5 mil and Ondrej Kase @ $2.6 mil RFA [=$4.1 mil combined] and chose to let both go with no qualifying offers so they could sign Leafs UFA Nick Foligno @$3.8 mil instead.

Leafs chose to let Nick Foligno walk at that price point and signed Bruins Nick Ritchie at $2.5 mil and Kase @ $1.25 mil for [=$3.75 mil AAV combined].

This is going to link these 2 teams on those players as point of interest in how it turns out.

I suppose Freddy Andersen (Carolina @$4.5 mil) and Petr Mrazek (Toronto @ $3.8 mil) as they swapped teams going to have a similar obivous comparison link particularly head to head games.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Out of pure curiosity who do you think will have more points (goals and assists / points combined ) next year Leafs core 4 or Boston's perfection line with Taylor Hall as their 4th?

It was something I was thinking about when posters mentioned the Bruins and anticipated struggles and decline.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
One thing every Leaf and Bruin fan is going to follow this year.

Boston had Nic Ritchie RFA $1.5 mil and Ondrej Kase @ $2.6 mil RFA [=$4.1 mil combined] and chose to let both go with no qualifying offers so they could sign Leafs UFA Nick Foligno @$3.8 mil instead.

Leafs chose to let Nick Foligno walk at that price point and signed Bruins Nick Ritchie at $2.5 mil and Kase @ $1.25 mil for [=$3.75 mil AAV combined].

This is going to link these 2 teams on those players as point of interest in how it turns out.

I suppose Freddy Andersen (Carolina @$4.5 mil) and Petr Mrazek (Toronto @ $3.8 mil) as they swapped teams going to have a similar obivous comparison link particularly head to head games.
agreed, it should be interesting to see what player choices are proven correct and which are proven wrong. Dubas could look like a genius or a idiot? Lots riding on this season. I'm happy the age of the players from misfit island has gone down, only Simmonds is too old to do what he used to do well enough to be a regular contributor imo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad