Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Such a strange career progression. Not sure what went wrong for him last year, but I hope he enjoys Moscow. Looks like a cool city, but I'm not sure I'd want to be an American there right now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Don't understand how a guy like Brad Hunt keeps getting NHL contracts, and Menell doesn't.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
NOOOOO! He was our savior

Not sure if this level of overdramatization is necessary. No one thought he was the savior of the franchise, or even a future top pairing guy. They thought he deserved a fair chance in an NHL role that suited his abilities after putting up 91 points in 127 AHL games as a defenseman.

But then Guerin had to go and get his panties in a twist because he chose guaranteed money and playing time in the KHL, rather than waiting for what only might have become half an AHL season, again. And I haven't yet seen one person make a coherent argument on why Menell was wrong for that.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
But then Guerin had to go and get his panties in a twist because he chose guaranteed money and playing time in the KHL, rather than waiting for what only might have become half an AHL season, again. And I haven't yet seen one person make a coherent argument on why Menell was wrong for that.

Hindsight being 20/20, Guerin made the right call....and the "coherent argument" is that he was given a subsequent opportunities with Toronto and Philly and failed to stick with them.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Hindsight being 20/20, Guerin made the right call....and the "coherent argument" is that he was given a subsequent opportunities with Toronto and Philly and failed to stick with them.

The people making those claims at the time didn't have the benefit of hindsight like you do now. This is called presentism, and it might as well be a logical fallacy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The people making those claims at the time didn't have the benefit of hindsight like you do now. This is called presentism, and it might as well be a logical fallacy.
I was indifferent about Menell, tbh. I thought that if the Wild coaching and management felt he was worth giving a one way contract to, then they would've. Its quite obvious that Guerin, in consultation with Tim Army and others felt that Menell didn't have the game to warrant such a deal, and it looks like they were right.

Not sure why it needs to be any more complicated than that.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
In other news, a NHL GM knows more about the players in their system than armchair GMs. Real shocker here.

I remember some people calling the Menell situation another "failure" from Billy G.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In other news, a NHL GM knows more about the players in their system than armchair GMs. Real shocker here.

I remember some people calling the Menell situation another "failure" from Billy G.
I mean that doesn't stop people from trying to say that they knew more than Fenton. There is a lot that Fenton did that laid the foundation to what Guerin is building.

Also does Fletcher really know more than people here?

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I mean that doesn't stop people from trying to say that they knew more than Fenton. There is a lot that Fenton did that laid the foundation to what Guerin is building.

I would say yes he does. Theres a reason why he got only 1 of 32 positions in the entire world, multiple times. Theres also a reason why hes been in the business for 20 years, and people like us come to a forum website to talk about the sport. Now does that make him good at his job? No, not at all.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I would say yes he does. Theres a reason why he got only 1 of 32 positions in the entire world, multiple times. Theres also a reason why hes been in the business for 20 years, and people like us come to a forum website to talk about the sport. Now does that make him good at his job? No, not at all.
While he was a jerk to everyone, he still was one of the better talent evaluators Minnesota has had.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Yes, of course he does.

While he was a jerk to everyone, he still was one of the better talent evaluators Minnesota has had.

He missed on Rask.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The reason you're looking for is usually nepotism. Just because someone holds a position of authority or prestige doesn't mean they're automatically the most qualified person for the job.

Without a shadow of a doubt, I can safely say the 32 NHL GM's right now are not the 32 best NHL GM's in the world, if everyone were given an equal shot at the job.

I think to be safe, we should all stop opining on things that occurred less than 12 months ago. Really let things play out.

Yeah but we also can't opine on things that occurred over 12 months ago, because it's in the past and get over it.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
It was a good gamble though; as well Fletcher missed on Barker, Kobasew, Moulson, Stewart...

Was it a good gamble though? Nino at his worst is close to Rask at his best, so outside of positional importance there was very little upside for us despite shouldering the majority of the risk.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It was a good gamble though; as well Fletcher missed on Barker, Kobasew, Moulson, Stewart...

Was it really a "good gamble"? Everyone on the planet knew that Rask was a terrible skater.

Yes, Fletcher wasn't perfect either. No GM is.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Was it a good gamble though? Nino at his worst is close to Rask at his best, so outside of positional importance there was very little upside for us despite shouldering the majority of the risk.
It was a good gamble;
Minnesota was in need of depth at center
They needed to shed cap space
el Nino was (and still is) inconsistent as hell
Neither el Nino or Rask made any big impression on their teams. Nino didn't get Carolina over the hump, Rask got demoted.

The el Nino for Rask trade was inconsequential and in fact, may have been better for Minnesota long term as they were able to shed 1.25 million in cap space for two years.

As for Rask being a terrible skater - yes, but there was hope he'd rebound and still be a 30-40 point center. Didn't really work out that way. But it was a good gamble.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad