Tidbits: Around the League: NHL News - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
You think they let either player get close to that after what just happened with Gaudreau?
Absolutely. Say they are top or 2nd in the pacific at the deadline. West got a lot weaker this summer. Despite their changes they should still be a top team with this trade. Basically their whole team is a UFA in 2024. No way they can give up on that type of playoff chance. Either way next summer is likely going to be fire sale unless they can convince players to want to play there, and if you're giving up on a playoff push like that there's no reason keep either player going into next season knowing you aren't going to try to win anything.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Absolutely. Say they are top or 2nd in the pacific at the deadline. West got a lot weaker this summer. Despite their changes they should still be a top team with this trade. Basically their whole team is a UFA in 2024. No way they can give up on that type of playoff chance. Either way next summer is likely going to be fire sale unless they can convince players to want to play there, and if you're giving up on a playoff push like that there's no reason keep either player going into next season knowing you aren't going to try to win anything.
I think that would be dropping the ball in a massive way by their GM. Getting a single 1st round pick for Gaudreau and Tkachuk would be disastrous.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
I think that would be dropping the ball in a massive way by their GM. Getting a single 1st round pick for Gaudreau and Tkachuk would be disastrous.
There's no better alternative for Treliving that doesn't involve trading everyone you can and going full tank this summer. Thanks to waiting for Johnny to decide they were probably too late to the game to have done that. Of course that also depends on neither wanting to extend which is still a possibility.

Also it looks like the pick isn't until 2025 according to Seravalli.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wouldn't let it even get into the season if I was them. It's the easiest way for it to go bad for them.

So blow up a quality team (on paper) before the season even starts? They still have Markstom in net, their good d-corps got better, they have a great coach, and a decent FWD group.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Fiala isn’t near the player Tkachuk is and Tkachuk provides a game that is extremely rare. Values between the two are not close. The DeBrincat trade says the Wild did fine.

Calgary lost their two best players this offseason but still gained two good players. Huberdeau isn’t going to touch his Florida point totals in Calgary but he still should be part of a pretty strong line. Nobody in the Pacific is really markedly better than them right now still. Challenge will be deciding what to do with Huberdeau and Weegar though as it’s hard to see both re-signing and like others have said, a 2025 first and a prospect can’t really happen at the end of day for 4 players of that quality.

I understand Florida looking at it and saying they can’t pass up a player of that level, pulling the trigger, and deal with figuring out how it all comes together later. Hasn’t exactly worked out for Vegas, that strategy, so I’d be leery. Looking at their lineup, especially defense, you certainly don’t see Cup contenders right away. They’re also right on the cap with no wiggle room so there seems like there should be something else on the way for an already questionable corps that now has all defenders moving up two slots.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Tkachuk is definitely better than Fiala, but this return really makes it look like BG got taken advantage of.
We couldn’t take on salary.

I think that Calgary still came out a loser on this. Huberdeau and Weegar are both probably gone in a year. The 1st isn’t until 2025 and it’s lottery protected! You think we should have made a deal where we would need to wait at least 3-4 drafts from now to finally be able to draft that 1st?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Fiala isn’t near the player Tkachuk is and Tkachuk provides a game that is extremely rare. Values between the two are not close. The DeBrincat trade says the Wild did fine.

Calgary lost their two best players this offseason but still gained two good players. Huberdeau isn’t going to touch his Florida point totals in Calgary but he still should be part of a pretty strong line. Nobody in the Pacific is really markedly better than them right now still. Challenge will be deciding what to do with Huberdeau and Weegar though as it’s hard to see both re-signing and like others have said, a 2025 first and a prospect can’t really happen at the end of day for 4 players of that quality.

I understand Florida looking at it and saying they can’t pass up a player of that level, pulling the trigger, and deal with figuring out how it all comes together later. Hasn’t exactly worked out for Vegas, that strategy, so I’d be leery. Looking at their lineup, especially defense, you certainly don’t see Cup contenders right away. They’re also right on the cap with no wiggle room so there seems like there should be something else on the way for an already questionable corps that now has all defenders moving up two slots.
DeBrincat got more than Fiala too. I’d be happy to be a Kings fan with Fiala signed for 7 years at <$8M and only had to give up a mid-round 1st and my 2nd best defensive prospect.

I’m not as high on Tkachuk that everyone else is either though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
We couldn’t take on salary.

I think that Calgary still came out a loser on this. Huberdeau and Weegar are both probably gone in a year. The 1st isn’t until 2025 and it’s lottery protected! You think we should have made a deal where we would need to wait at least 3-4 drafts from now to finally be able to draft that 1st?
I think Huberdeau and Weegar can be flipped for 3 1st round picks of value based on some recent deadline deals & sign-and-trades. I just still am very lukewarm on the return we got for an extended PPG winger and Top 10 ES/PPG player. I think a lot of people have accepted the return, but it wasn’t a great one.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think Huberdeau and Weegar can be flipped for 3 1st round picks of value based on some recent deadline deals & sign-and-trades. I just still am very lukewarm on the return we got for an extended PPG winger and Top 10 ES/PPG player. I think a lot of people have accepted the return, but it wasn’t a great one.
Problem is BG may not have had a lot of cards to deal with. Fiala seemed to have only wanted to go to LA for some reason. MT and DeBrincat didn't only say I will go to this team only

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Problem is BG may not have had a lot of cards to deal with. Fiala seemed to have only wanted to go to LA for some reason. MT and DeBrincat didn't only say I will go to this team only
I just don’t buy that Fiala would’ve only accepted one destination and even if that was the case, he still should have and could have gotten a better return. Guerin’s response really made it seem like he didn’t negotiate much and I feel like we could’ve waited longer.

Overall I’m not too impressed with Guerin’s trading abilities. Only trade that was a 100% “win” when it happened was the Zucker trade.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
DeBrincat got more than Fiala too. I’d be happy to be a Kings fan with Fiala signed for 7 years at <$8M and only had to give up a mid-round 1st and my 2nd best defensive prospect.

I’m not as high on Tkachuk that everyone else is either though.
And Fiala is not the player DeBrincat is so of course he should return more. But it wasn’t significantly more.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
And Fiala is not the player DeBrincat is so of course he should return more. But it wasn’t significantly more.
I don’t know why they’re not seen as similiar caliber players. Fiala has been underutilized and mismanaged since his arrival. It’s not a coincidence that the first year he got a decent linemate his production substantially increased. His even strength numbers were among the best in the league. I think we’ll see from this year in LA, that he is one of the best wingers in the league.

The DeBrincat trade was panned as being a bad return for Chicago too and it’s easier to make that argument after this trade. Still, the #7 alone is worth more than what we got IMO. I’m just not impressed at all with Guerin’s asset management skills over the past year. I think the team is still on an okay trajectory, but I think we could be positioned in a better place.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don’t know why they’re not seen as similiar caliber players. Fiala has been underutilized and mismanaged since his arrival. It’s not a coincidence that the first year he got a decent linemate his production substantially increased. His even strength numbers were among the best in the league. I think we’ll see from this year in LA, that he is one of the best wingers in the league.

The DeBrincat trade was panned as being a bad return for Chicago too and it’s easier to make that argument after this trade. Still, the #7 alone is worth more than what we got IMO. I’m just not impressed at all with Guerin’s asset management skills over the past year. I think the team is still on an okay trajectory, but I think we could be positioned in a better place.
It sounds like a lot of respected people think very highly of Faber, so I think we probably need to wait and see on that. But I think Chicago got a 2nd rounder as well.

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
It sounds like a lot of respected people think very highly of Faber, so I think we probably need to wait and see on that. But I think Ottawa got a 2nd rounder as well.
Faber is definitely one of the better defensive prospects in the league and it made sense to get a top-4 RD prospect. Nonetheless, you get #7 and then what do you need to add to get to #4 and Wright? Completely hypothetical and looking purely at the value of the picks because Fiala to Ottawa must not have been possible. I know a lot of teams decide to hold those picks until they see who is available too.

I’ll completely admit to being wrong if Faber develops into a Brodin-level player, but that’s what needs to happen to make this trade okay on a value level. Fiala got practically the same return as Zucker and I just can’t see how we didn’t get more when seeing the returns from DeBrincat and Tkachuk.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I’m just not impressed at all with Guerin’s asset management skills over the past year. I think the team is still on an okay trajectory, but I think we could be positioned in a better place.
As many fans pointed out, Minnesota has a great group of prospects, had a tremendous year last season and seems to only be getting better. So...

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
I just don’t buy that Fiala would’ve only accepted one destination and even if that was the case, he still should have and could have gotten a better return. Guerin’s response really made it seem like he didn’t negotiate much and I feel like we could’ve waited longer.

Overall I’m not too impressed with Guerin’s trading abilities. Only trade that was a 100% “win” when it happened was the Zucker trade.
Guerin's doing a great job. Fiala's gone get over it. I'm sure Billy is over it. The guy won a cup and has been in a NHL locker room. Your creds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad