Around the League - ...in 56 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A three game losing streak is fair enough. Nevertheless, I still find it interesting to fire the coach when the team is in a playoff spot and has games in hand on teams below and above them.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
A three game losing streak is fair enough. Nevertheless, I still find it interesting to fire the coach when the team is in a playoff spot and has games in hand on teams below and above them.

It's hard to defend a coach who lost the the Senators which are worst team in the league and the Leafs who play on the suckiest division in the league.

(Sarcasm)

Reactions: Buds17
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
God help team Canada if this guy is in net come Olympic time, which he most likely will be or at least in the top 2-3 in consideration

Lol yeah it's slim pickings. Hopefully Mackenzie Blackwood continues to roll and maybe Binnington rounds out the top 2

With the projected roster, they may just need decent, not great goaltending to get by.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Lol yeah it's slim pickings. Hopefully Mackenzie Blackwood continues to roll and maybe Binnington rounds out the top 2

With the projected roster, they may just need decent, not great goaltending to get by.
Ordinarily I'd agree but the US now has firepower to match or at least compete with our top 2 lines so we're gonna definitely need some solid goaltending

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I didn't watch the game but I wonder how hard Clode fought against that goalie interference call, I did see Gallagher's comments however.

Also, see Lebrun's take:

Reactions: Buds17

Hurin

Jun 29, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
There is definitely an element here of Bergevin trying to save his job, but really? Julien got better results out of this team since he arrived than anyone had a right to expect, and he's the one that gets canned? IMO Price's inconsistency (and who signed him to that ludicrous contract?) and the overinflated expectations of fans and management are the real problems facing this team, not the coach.

Reactions: Dragao6

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
you can only blame the coaches and players so much. sooner or later this has to fall on mr untouchable mb

Julien gets fired because Bergevin thinks he figured out a secret and that the Habs should be an elite team despite having zero elite talent.

makes no sense.

There's a decent argument to be made that Claude Julien was the only "star" in that entire organization.

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I’ve been beating this drum all offseason and all season: the Habs are a mediocre team. Borderline bottom 10 in the league. No offensive firepower, solid but overrated D core, and good goaltending. How they went from 24th place in the league to “juggernaut” overnight is preposterous. Not sure what else Julien was supposed to do, the team’s getting the same results they deserve - they’re a .500 team, give or take.
Agreed. I said the exact same things as well. They’re filled with a bunch of okay stuff, I thought they were exactly playing as they should have up to now.

Reactions: kk87

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Julien gets fired because Bergevin thinks he figured out a secret and that the Habs should be an elite team despite having zero elite talent.

makes no sense.

There's a decent argument to be made that Claude Julien was the only "star" in that entire organization.

yeah i agree julien made a average team seem better then they were. . not that i care they deserve to toil in mediocrity for as long as possible

with the recent ways they have drafted im not too worried about them getting high picks cause they seem to go off the board

Reactions: zeke

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It's always funny to me how GMs fire their coaches because of team failure and then put another guy in place who was just standing next to the fired coach in everyone of those single failures. I just don't get it. I mean, I understand its to send a message and to give the GMMB a buffer room from the proverbial axe hanging over his own head, but it's just an odd thing to me.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Bergevin and cheveldayoff are two GMs who i feel always get free pass even though their teams have sometimes under performed over the years.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Don't think they quit, I just think they came back down to earth .. teams built on the wings generally aren't successful, their centre group has a lot of potential but they haven't been that strong, and Price hasn't been good enough to cover their mistakes.

Julien gave them a good defensive competitive structure IMO.

Glad the Leafs don't play them until April now, gives them a month to see how their game changes.

Built on the wings?

What's so good about their wings?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

makes no sense.

Yup.

Julien is a solid coach who is being used as a scapegoat to give Bergevin one last kick at the can before he gets fired.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Look at the diff in two weeks. Habs was the best in the North....now, Habs fire their coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad