Around the League - ...in 56 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This revisionist history with Martin is f***ing bizarre when Mike Babcock of all people had him as a healthy scratch for all but 3 games against Buffalo after January 17th, 2018 because he was absolutely ineffective in his role.

Never mind the fact the ONLY GM to trade for his shitty contract was the guy who signed it originally.

Not sure what some Leaf fans have against Martin. Babcock clearly was an ahole when it came to some players and Martin was one of them. Personally I think Martin the Islander > Martin the Leaf. Might be because of who he is playing with on the Island and who he played with here.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Because this is the NHL and he isn't late 80s/early 90s Bob Probert?

If a guy like Kassian is deterred from hitting because a good middle weight fighter is on the bench he doesn't have a job in this league.

Middle weights dont fight chara and chara doesnt fight middle weights, thats a bad take you had in that post, and guys 6 4" 220 are not middle weights, I wont discuss it ant further ... it doesn't matter if Martin would win a fight, if you hit a star player on his team, expect a fight next shift is what i said...

Reactions: ToneDog

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think there are a whole lot of "ifs" involved in this one. Are they asymptomatic, how long until they test negative, an so on. Do others now test positive too, how long until enough players are negative, until they let them play.
97% false negatives with PCR test with 40 cycles or over, so there is a lot of hope that hopefully this won't be serious....could be just a cold or a flu bug.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Not sure what some Leaf fans have against Martin. Babcock clearly was an ahole when it came to some players and Martin was one of them. Personally I think Martin the Islander > Martin the Leaf. Might be because of who he is playing with on the Island and who he played with here.
Because he was an overpaid 4th liner who was largely ineffective in his role?

His linemates weren't a factor. Having Martin, Kadri, Komarov, Polak, and others that fit the grit role from 2016-2018 didn't prevent other teams from taking liberties against them. Hell, Marchand licked Komarov in Game 2, did nothing about it, lost his spot in the lineup to Johnsson, and never played for the Leafs again.

He's only being talked about again because some dipshit is upset that Simmonds didn't want to punch someone 5 games after coming back from a broken wrist that cost him a month and a half of his season.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Because he was an overpaid 4th liner who was largely ineffective in his role?

His linemates weren't a factor. Having Martin, Kadri, Komarov, Polak, and others that fit the grit role from 2016-2018 didn't prevent other teams from taking liberties against them. Hell, Marchand licked Komarov in Game 2, did nothing about it, lost his spot in the lineup to Johnsson, and never played for the Leafs again.

He's only being talked about again because some dipshit is upset that Simmonds didn't want to punch someone 5 games after coming back from a broken wrist that cost him a month and a half of his season.

I'll agree Martin was overpaid, similar to Z and Marleau (all Lou mistakes) but personally I liked Martin the Islander who I thought we signed. He clearly was not that guy here. I do like him back on the Island. Other than Martin none of the players you listed were enforcers. Personally I'd like to see some kind of response (not necessarly fighting) when somebody takes liberties with our players.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
If Kassian had run Tavares earlier in the game, something would’ve happened I’m sure. As it stood, challenging him to a fight and taking an instigator in the final minutes of a tie game is a bad move and just does what Kassian wants. Imagine if the Oilers went on to win in regulation off that and then the second game was the same result, we’d have handed Edmonton 4 points to our 1, and given them first place as well. It would’ve been stupid. Holl did have words with Kassian, but that’s the most he could’ve done without compromising the Leafs chances of winning. Sure someone could’ve done something the second game, but it’s not the end of the world.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
in your world Kadri plays half the time with Mckininon according to you ... remember that take in our last back and forth?
No, I clearly don't remember that, because you made that up. I assume the discussion you are referencing is the Kadri and Kerfoot discussion, where you made false claims about how much Kerfoot played with certain players, while not realizing that Kadri had the same situation in Colorado. Don't misrepresent the things I say, just because you want to deflect away from you being wrong again in this discussion.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
I'll agree Martin was overpaid, similar to Z and Marleau (all Lou mistakes) but personally I liked Martin the Islander who I thought we signed. He clearly was not that guy here. I do like him back on the Island. Other than Martin none of the players you listed were enforcers. Personally I'd like to see some kind of response (not necessarly fighting) when somebody takes liberties with our players.
If you’re able to fight occasionally, still produce points, and play more than 5 minutes a night, you’re not an enforcer anymore. The one dimensional goons are gone while similar players like Ross Johnston or Buddy Robinson for example aren’t going to last much longer in a league like this.

Reactions: ToneDog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad