Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Unless Dubas is a dummy and gives Maner $8.5 million like the way Chiarelli gave Draisaitl $8.5 million. Man...McDavid and Draisaitl are clearly both overpaid at $12.5 and $8.5 million respectively as RFA's when Kucherov only got $9.5 million as a UFA.

The best player in the world getting less than max money is closer to underpaid than overpaid, IMO.

No argument on the Draisaitl point.....the Oilers should have gotten his contract done before McDavids so that it couldn't be compared to 97's.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Kucherov's deal is not as a UFA so that last point is kinda off. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The best player in the world getting less than max money is closer to underpaid than overpaid, IMO.

No argument on the Draisaitl point.....the Oilers should have gotten his contract done before McDavids so that it couldn't be compared to 97's.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Kucherov's deal is not as a UFA so that last point is kinda off. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
No need to be corrected - You're right, Kucherov signed this contract as an RFA

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

$12.5 million as an RFA is way too much money...it's a team sport with a cap, right? Does he want to build a team around him or does he want money because he also gets money from endorsements that does not affect the cap as the best player in the world.

Sorry, you're right about Kucherov still being a RFA next July and the new 8 year deal kicks in after that, though he's coming off of a bridged deal and not after the ELC and he has clearly proven to be worth it. If anything, it's an even more awesome deal for TB as they are getting more of his prime years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Unless Dubas is a dummy and gives Maner $8.5 million like the way Chiarelli gave Draisaitl $8.5 million. Man...McDavid and Draisaitl are clearly both overpaid at $12.5 and $8.5 million respectively as RFA's when Kucherov only got $9.5 million as a UFA.

people will say that MCDavid deserves it yadayadayada but i mean. they didn't have to pay mcdavid that much

Reactions: Superstar

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
How the hell did Maroon not at least get Komarov money??

1 year @ 1.75m to STL.

WTF?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yzerman running a master class on being a GM in the salary cap era

Yzerman hasn't won anything...and he inherited Stamkos, Hedman, MSL, Vinny...etc. He's done well, but the tax advantage and the lack of cups make me wonder why he has the cultish following. At least win a cup before you crown him.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yzerman hasn't won anything...and he inherited Stamkos, Hedman, MSL, Vinny...etc. He's done well, but the tax advantage and the lack of cups make me wonder why he has the cultish following. At least win a cup before you crown him.
The only players on Tampa's roster Yzerman drafted making an impact was Andrei Vasilevskiy and Brayden Point.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
How the hell did Maroon not at least get Komarov money??

1 year @ 1.75m to STL.

WTF?
He has a son in St. Louis. He wants to be close to him so took a huge discount. Good chance the Blues extend him in the new year for more money.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Buffalo sucks, Montreal and Ottawa are tire fires, Detroit is rebuilding. It sucks that all the teams around us geographically suck ass. It would have been better if one of those teams were supposed to be good so we can have a legit rivalry with them. When Ottawa and Toronto were good at the same time like 14+ years ago, it was beautiful.

Reactions: taurine330

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is exactly what we've been doing? Why all Yzerman?

He’s just a bit further ahead and at the moment has a better track record at getting his younger core guys on great contracts (though obviously the Leafs haven’t had the opportunity yet to do that.

He also has shown he’s not afraid to trade vets for futires and has avoided giving out bad contracts for support players. I think Leafs have a strong chance of being just as good, but it’s hard to name a bad move from a Yzerman so far

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

2ds28o.jpg

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’m overjoyed with how the Leafs are being run- but I think Yzerman manger to avoid some of the mistakes of the Lou era, I Think Dubas has the opportunity to be just as strong if not stronger though
Everything takes time. Didn't TB AHL team won the Calder like 5 yrs ago. Maybe in 5 Years, other will be praising how Shanny and Dubas choose skills over needs.

kyle n00bas

Dec 10, 2017
Buffalo sucks, Montreal and Ottawa are tire fires, Detroit is rebuilding. It sucks that all the teams around us geographically suck ass. It would have been better if one of those teams were supposed to be good so we can have a legit rivalry with them. When Ottawa and Toronto were good at the same time like 14+ years ago, it was beautiful.
The Sabres are about to get quite a bit better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad