Around the League: Hockey Is In the Air...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
people will say that MCDavid deserves it yadayadayada but i mean. they didn't have to pay mcdavid that much

Did Babcock deserve double any other coach?

Generational players push salaries forward for the entire Nhlpa.

Crosby's 2nd contract was for a higher % of the cap then McDavid just got, but because McDavid is 8 digits people can't get over it!

Reactions: Menzinger

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Crosby's 2nd contract was for a higher % of the cap then McDavid just got, but because McDavid is 8 digits people can't get over it!

Perhaps you could argue that coaches have been traditionally underpaid in the NHL, plus they don't count toward the salary cap for teams.

Crosby had already won a Cup and was well on his way to cementing his legacy (who could forget that Vancouver 2010 golden goal) as a Hall of Famer before he signed that 2nd contract. I could understand $10 to $11 million for McDavid as an RFA, but $12.5 million is too much.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Winnipeg are merely one year from signing Steve Mason to challenge as the team's starting goaltender because they weren't sure about Hellebuyck. Hellebuyck did have a great year.

McDavid's career may be paralleling Mario Lemieux' career. Lemieux only made the playoffs once in his first 6 seasons. One of the greatest players ever can't make a weak lineup win. He needs support.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Perhaps you could argue that coaches have been traditionally underpaid in the NHL, plus they don't count toward the salary cap for teams.

Crosby had already won a Cup and was well on his way to cementing his legacy (who could forget that Vancouver 2010 golden goal) as a Hall of Famer before he signed that 2nd contract. I could understand $10 to $11 million for McDavid as an RFA, but $12.5 million is too much.

Pretty well nothing said here is accurate. Crosby signed his second contract in July 2007. Pre Stanley Cup, pre Olympic Gold, etc.

McDavid would be severally underpaid for 6 or 7 years of his contract if he signed for $10m.

He's the best player in the game today, he will be several years from now as well, why should he not be the top paid player today, let alone 4+ years from now when dozens of players below his calibre would be making way more than him due to the annual rise in the cap.

If McDavid doesn't bump up the payscale for star players (the way Babs did for coaches) then who does?

I don't think you understand the type of push he'd be feeling from his agent, the PA, etc.

Eichel, Matthews, and Laine are/were likely all feeling similar pressure.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Pretty well nothing said here is accurate. Crosby signed his second contract in July 2007. Pre Stanley Cup, pre Olympic Gold, etc.

McDavid would be severally underpaid for 6 or 7 years of his contract if he signed for $10m.

He's the best player in the game today, he will be several years from now as well, why should he not be the top paid player today, let alone 4+ years from now when dozens of players below his calibre would be making way more than him due to the annual rise in the cap.

If McDavid doesn't bump up the payscale for star players (the way Babs did for coaches) then who does?

I don't think you understand the type of push he'd be feeling from his agent, the PA, etc.

Eichel, Matthews, and Laine are/were likely all feeling similar pressure.

Sorry, you're right, I mixed up Crosby's 3rd contract with his 2nd contract. I still feel McDavid didn't need to take that much money for such a long term...sure the cap could go up which might afford his team to add players...but here's the irony - there's little advantage to a team in helping it become stronger if star players sign at consistent percentages of the cap as it goes up, which leaves less money to add other players. He could have taken a shorter term like the way Crosby did with his 2nd contract if he wanted more money. McDavid got both term and money for his 2nd contract; Crosby got less term and more money for his. There are plenty of other star players that are taking less so their teams could thrive...Chiarelli out of idiocy wanted to pay McDavid more and if there was so much pressure from agent and PA, why did McDavid went to Chiarelli to tell him to pay him less? Surely that would go against the wishes of the agent and PA.

Eichel is an anomaly, he shouldn't be paid that much as an RFA...it's probably more to do with the owner than his agent and PA.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

no, Babcock didn't.
but when management's salaries actually impact the salary cap, then we can have a discussion.

now if it were reverse (ie: you can earn more money then as you get older you earn less), then any RFA contract wouldn't bother me (and it's trending that way anyway).

I don't think "generational player" or not. people in their second contract regardless of who they are should be making that much money for that long in a cap system. I've stated it several times that i think hockey in general should be maximizing their seven years (like baseball) to their advantage. Heck. I think the salary cap is complete crap and I don't even think we should have it and teams should just pay what they want, but then people want GM's punished for bad decisions and crap like that.

Edmonton has had a penchant setting the bar for 2nd contracts by a tonne of money for a tonne of years, to the point where this is now standard practice, which causes everything else to go up. so it doesn't matter to me that Crosby's 2nd contract was higher. (which at the time I probably wouldn't have liked it either, I don't really remember), and I don't really care about McDavid's. the statement was by Superstar I do believe, that McDavid as an RFA shouldn't make that much (and it clearly skewed Draistal's) I agree.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Sorry, you're right, I mixed up Crosby's 3rd contract with his 2nd contract. I still feel McDavid didn't need to take that much money for such a long term...sure the cap could go up which might afford his team to add players...but here's the irony - there's little advantage to a team in helping it become stronger if star players sign at consistent percentages of the cap as it goes up, which leaves less money to add other players. He could have taken a shorter term like the way Crosby did with his 2nd contract if he wanted more money. McDavid got both term and money for his 2nd contract; Crosby got less term and more money for his. There are plenty of other star players that are taking less so their teams could thrive...Chiarelli out of idiocy wanted to pay McDavid more and if there was so much pressure from agent and PA, why did McDavid went to Chiarelli to tell him to pay him less? Surely that would go against the wishes of the agent and PA.

Eichel is an anomaly, he shouldn't be paid that much as an RFA...it's probably more to do with the owner than his agent and PA.

It's a business, these guys aren't only setting themselves up for life, but if they play their cards right their kids (when they have them) will never have to worry about $$ either.
Taking $1.5 to $2.5m less a year adds up over time. Especially considering the $$ that's going to end in D. Katz pocket from having McDavid in blue and orange. It's easy to say guys should just leave $20m or so on the table for the good of the team, but this isn't a video game, and that's alot of $$.
Part of me still holds out hope that our big 3 will sign for team friendly deals, but I'm certainly not going to hold it against them if they can get they get as much as they can.
Like it or not this is the way RFA deals are trending. These guys are among the best players in the league today, and will very likely be top 5/10 players for the majority of their contracts, so they are being paid that way. I still think Eichel will be in the convo with McDavid and Matthews when Buffalo gets their shit together. His contract won't look as outrageous in a few years. If you look past the injuries and attitude, he's actually had two pretty dominate seasons.

RFA contracts getting to this point and salary cap in general (see Daisy's comments above) is another discussion (a fairly pointless one, seeing this is the reality now).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's a business, these guys aren't only setting themselves up for life, but if they play their cards right their kids (when they have them) will never have to worry about $$ either.
Taking $1.5 to $2.5m less a year adds up over time. Especially considering the $$ that's going to end in D. Katz pocket from having McDavid in blue and orange. It's easy to say guys should just leave $20m or so on the table for the good of the team, but this isn't a video game, and that's alot of $$.
Part of me still holds out hope that our big 3 will sign for team friendly deals, but I'm certainly not going to hold it against them if they can get they get as much as they can.
Like it or not this is the way RFA deals are trending. These guys are among the best players in the league today, and will very likely be top 5/10 players for the majority of their contracts, so they are being paid that way. I still think Eichel will be in the convo with McDavid and Matthews when Buffalo gets their **** together. His contract won't look as outrageous in a few years. If you look past the injuries and attitude, he's actually had two pretty dominate seasons.

RFA contracts getting to this point and salary cap in general (see Daisy's comments above) is another discussion (a fairly pointless one, seeing this is the reality now).

but that doesn't change the fact that in my opinion it's not something i like. it doesn't mean I don't know what the reality of the situation.
however then i've fully admitted and have zero qualms i'm more pro management/owner than a majority of people here.

i just feel that for the most part other leagues maximize their RFA years, and the NHL doesn't, and I think they should.
just because I feel that way doesn't mean I don't understand or get that's how RFA deals are heading.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
but that doesn't change the fact that in my opinion it's not something i like. it doesn't mean I don't know what the reality of the situation.
however then i've fully admitted and have zero qualms i'm more pro management/owner than a majority of people here.

i just feel that for the most part other leagues maximize their RFA years, and the NHL doesn't, and I think they should.
just because I feel that way doesn't mean I don't understand or get that's how RFA deals are heading.

The way the league is heading guys are flaming out by 30 years of age, so personally I'm fine with star players getting paid on their 2nd contract.

ELC, plus bridge deal, plus long term RFA contract equals less movement of star players then we already have (which is very small already).
With the avg age in the league dropping in the NHL, if teams decided to really limit that 2nd contract to 2 or 3 yrs in length, teams would have control over all their best players for their entire career.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The way the league is heading guys are flaming out by 30 years of age, so personally I'm fine with star players getting paid on their 2nd contract.

ELC, plus bridge deal, plus long term RFA contract equals less movement of star players then we already have (which is very small already).
With the avg age in the league dropping in the NHL, if teams decided to really limit that 2nd contract to 2 or 3 yrs in length, teams would have control over all their best players for their entire career.

it's still always seven.
if the player decides to opt out at year 7 (and go back) that's okay.
as i said in an earlier post.

You have 3 ELC
2 RFA no Arb
2 RFA with Arb

you don't even have to bridge it, if people feel like they go straight through the whole 4 years + (to buy out UFA) that's fine, but use your "RFA" years to lower some of the cost on the AVV. then you reach 27-28 and if you're a star (See Tavares) you're gonna get paid anyway.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
it's still always seven.
if the player decides to opt out at year 7 (and go back) that's okay.
as i said in an earlier post.

You have 3 ELC
2 RFA no Arb
2 RFA with Arb

you don't even have to bridge it, if people feel like they go straight through the whole 4 years + (to buy out UFA) that's fine, but use your "RFA" years to lower some of the cost on the AVV. then you reach 27-28 and if you're a star (See Tavares) you're gonna get paid anyway.

In this scenario McDavid/Matthews could be getting $15m plus on their 3rd contract.

So pick your poison I guess.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
In this scenario McDavid/Matthews could be getting $15m plus on their 3rd contract.

So pick your poison I guess.
I am with Daisy on this. As I just don't see the point if you are just going to hand out 8yrs and over 7-8mil or more for a player in their RFA years. The team is paying the players for their potential instead of what the player is capable of. Part of the reason for the RFA is to let the teams to have control over their players. BUt whats the point if you have to out bid other teams for their service. To me the whole offer sheet thing should just be gone completely, since not a lot of GM is willing to do that, but thats a discussion for another day.
To your point about paying McDavid/Matthews 15mil plus on their third contract. Do you think when McDavid, when it is time to sign his third contract, will go to the Oilers and say, I will sign for 12.5mil again, since I already have 100mil or sign just below market value? What I am trying to say is, if the market value is 15mil a year, you will end up offering them 15mil regardless of how much their 2nd contract was signed for.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
(sigh). hopefully Fluery doesn't go Flower on them. that is a gross contract
It is, but I get it. So far it seems as if they've got the cap to handle that deal. Paying him more money for less years leaves them with room to maneuver and not as many potential dead years. Plus he is a major figure on a new team. They can't afford him going anywhere next summer (and frankly with the teams in desperate need for goaltenders he'd find takers). It's way too much, but it makes sense for Vegas in this situation.

Reactions: Daisy Jane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad